View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schol-R-LEA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Most Gnome applications have no editing window Reply with quote

I recently reinstalled Gentoo on a desktop system, due to increasing system instability. However, since then, I have found that GNOME is not rendering several applications correctly, including Nautilus, Gedit and the GNOME terminal. In Nautilus, the files are not displayed, and the directory entries are all disabled. In Gedit, the editing features are all disabled. In Gterm, the terminal works correctly if there is only a single tab, but opening additional tabs causes all the tabs (including the first one) to display a blank window.

Firefox and GNU Emacs seem to work correctly, but those are the only desktop applications which appear to render correctly.

Is this a known problem, and if so, what is the cause, and how would I remedy it?
Schol-R-LEA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention another, possibly related, problem: Gnome Shell frequently spikes in its CPU usage, causing user interaction to freeze for a few seconds. I don't know what connection, if any, there might be with the problem described earlier.
Schol-R-LEA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there doesn't seem to be a known fix, I am considering switching from GNOME to either XFCE (which I already use on my laptop, for unrelated reasons) or Enlightenment. I'll make one more attempt at re-installing GNOME, but there seems to be another issue: a conflict in Portage between the libinput version requirements of Clutter and xf86-input-libinput. Since I haven't been able to find a way to resolve said conflict, I think I will end up having to remove GNOME entirely.
steveo314
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have your video driver install for xorg?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: