Mate, "mate" overlay and "mate-overlay" overlay
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mqduck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Mate, "mate" overlay and "mate-overlay" Reply with quote

Can a humble duck get some clarification on who the "mate" overlay is for? A while back, you had to add the "mate-overlay" overlay if you wanted to use mate, but it's since been added to the main portage tree (there was a news item about it and everything). But now there's an overlay called just "mate" sitting there, staring at me, and I'm wondering why I should or shouldn't ignore it.

[As a bonus, if someone could please tell me where the people who maintain overlays have to declare and justify their overlay's existence, that'd be great.]
Freeky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, mqduck!
I found only this overlay from layman: git://github.com/Sabayon/mate-overlay.git
It maintains by Sabayon distribution (Gentoo based OS).
On github page You can find contributors to this overlay. Some contributors are MATE developers: https://github.com/Sabayon/mate-overlay/graphs/contributors.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays and scroll down.
Also https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Overlays/Dev_Guide might be of help.
OldTango
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mate, "mate" overlay and "mate-overlay&qu Reply with quote

mqduck wrote:
Can a humble duck get some clarification on who the "mate" overlay is for? A while back, you had to add the "mate-overlay" overlay if you wanted to use mate, but it's since been added to the main portage tree (there was a news item about it and everything). But now there's an overlay called just "mate" sitting there, staring at me, and I'm wondering why I should or shouldn't ignore it.

[As a bonus, if someone could please tell me where the people who maintain overlays have to declare and justify their overlay's existence, that'd be great.]

Overlays are used by many for apps that aren't in the official portage tree for various reasons. There more or less a testing ground for newer unsupported packages and ebuilds. You use an overlay when you want to install packages not in portage and you take the risks that things may break as a result. Once a package is available in the official tree you no longer need the overlay unless you wish to continue to use newer packages that are added to the overlay before they enter portage if at all.

If you don't want to continue using the overlay and only want official stable packages delete the overlays you aren't using.
Code:
layman -d mate
Once you delete an overlay it is advisable to update your system. Some packages might be downgraded in this process.

I don't think anybody has to justify their overlays. I have a personal overlay I add ebuilds to anytime I want to install or test a package not in portage.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the Mate overlay was created before there was an official Mate ebuild.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: