Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
x86_64 VM's without a GUI? Or, "serial line" QEMU?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: x86_64 VM's without a GUI? Or, "serial line" QEMU? Reply with quote

I'm struggling with some Gentoo VM's on QEMU/KVM, using Virtual Machine Manager (virt-manager). I've made some mistake with the kernel build, so the VM panics and croaks when it's time to mount root.

Worse, I'm doing this through a network that's slow and sloppy, so interacting with a VM through a graphical view of the emulated BIOS screen is a pain. Keystrokes take forever to come back, or they don't come back, or sometimes the screen just dies and I have to reconnect. So trying to track down my mistake is a slow, frustrating process.

I miss the olden days, of interacting with Unix hardware through a serial line. Is there some way to emulate that interface in this environment? Must we always pretend that we're sitting at a PC? Rather, I know it can be done, but I can't find the recipe. Hint?
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I gave up on virt-manager, the abstractions seemed to limit the specific features that were available in the underlying implementation.

Assuming you have two boxes, one for a remote host and guest, and another for your local client ? Is it possible to connect a serial cable between the boxes?

qemu supports the -serial <dev> option. With a serial cable you could connect to another box over ttyS0.
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have other computers, but I don't have a way to attach a serial line between them, partly because they're miles away.

I was hoping for a way to do something like what you suggest, but with the serial connection being virtualized. I'm sure I've done something like that in the past, but can't remember how. I also don't recall which virtualization system I was using at the time.

I'm not married to virt-manager; if libvirt or some other tool exposes the VM's serial lines in a more accessible way I'll gladly switch.

So, "VM 1" connects to "VM 2" each via ttyS0, but all the traffic going within the single physical machine.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use -nogui switch in quemu or use virt-manager with SPICE (don't connect to it if you don't need it). Enabling compression on your ssh session also makes miracles with X11 over a slow ethernet
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, right. I'd been compressing my VNC sessions, and that helps a little, sometimes, but hadn't tried it on SSH directly. Doing that now, will see how much good it does. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: