Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ev0child
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed! Reply with quote

could anyone give me some pointers on this? I'm studying for an assignment on computer platform, I've not had much experience with Linux platforms and we are currently learning how to dual boot Gentoo and XP on Virtual-box. Last night i managed a successful install for the first time using virtual-box on my laptop. today i deleted the machine (along with all files) and created a new machine. as i am to be assessed on my install i figured the more time i do it the better i will get at it. today i set up a new vm (exact same setup as previous) and used the exact same iso as previous but now the machine only lets me get as far as setting the option for the keyboard layout. i tried this 3 times with 3 new vm's and 3 different releases (all x86). i keep getting a load of hex-code after i choose my keyboard layout and the message "FIXING RECURSIVE FAULT BUT REBOOT IS NEEDED!". I have also tried to install on gentoo on my Virtual-box on my home PC using a fresh release of Gentoo and still keep getting the same result.

This is driving me crazy as my tutor isn't the best at explaining things well either.

thanks in advance
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not in an OS class, you probably won't ever learn what happened here.

A fault happens when something bad happens, like it encounters something really bad (accesses invalid memory, usually). It will run some "fault handler code". A double fault happens if this fault handler code also access invalid memory. A recursive fault usually means that the fault happened more than once. The kernel tried to fix up the problem as best as it could (usually segregate the failing program) just so the machine can keep on going on.)

If this happens with a stock installation, usually this means bad hardware.

As Gentoo you're part "developer" you could have built something wrong.

Unfortunately there's not enough information to go on here to further debug this. Perhaps a complete dump of the faults would be helpful.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a VirtualBox setting causing this.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing a current Ubuntu - if that fails, it's a problem in your VirtualBox setup,
otherwise it's a problem with the Gentoo build. At least that will give you a direction
to go in.

Will
ev0child
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through every release of Gentoo until I got a version that worked and eventually one worked :) I got as far as installing kernel and it froze, now I have a new issue that I don't understand with a segfault at start-up when making tmpfs for /newroot. Thanks for your replies but I have no idea what it was, I now need to post a fresh topic with this new issue :cry: I'm not enjoying this installing gentoo lark at all
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: