Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why does chromium use so many space on linux? 5GB or more?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodouble1991
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Why does chromium use so many space on linux? 5GB or more? Reply with quote

I am a newbee in linux,and i have chosen gentoo for my linux distribution.I install it on virtualbox.For practice purpose only,i just give it 10GB space..... yesterday when i try to emerge the chromium package,it came out
Code:
"There is NOT at least 5GB disk space at /var/tmp/portage/www-client/chromium-42.0.2311.90/temp.Space constrains set in the ebuild were not met"

5GB? Why is it need so much space.If it is true,it means that is will be impossible to install chromium on some machines which have little disk space. Or there is another way to install it which i don't know? :roll:
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodouble1991,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Gentoo has an extra step that binary distros don't have. It builds all the software from the source code.
Code:
There is NOT at least 5GB disk space at /var/tmp/portage/www-client/chromium-42.0.2311.90/temp
Tells that you don't have the 5G that Chrome needs to build. This is a transient requirement. This 5G is released once the build is complete.
firefox and libreoffice all need something similar.

In virtualbox, make another virtual drive with say, 15G of space. Partition it with one partition and make a non journalled filesystem on the new partition.
Attach the new partition at /var/tmp/portage
You can use a journalled filesystem if you want but there are several reasons not to. Mostly, /var/tmp/portage is for temporary files. You will never need to recover it, It can just be thrown away. The underlying filesystem hosting the virtual drive for Virtualbax is probably journalled. Another layer of journalling adds nothing and will impose a speed penalty.

To allow space to store source files, build everything and have a desktop environment, you need about 40G.
After everything is built, the binaries fit in under 10G. My netbook only has a 8G SSD. It runs Gentoo but it does't build it internally.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
sodouble1991
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will try that thx.
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, Firefox and Libreoffice both have a "*-bin" version in portage that installs a prebuilt binary instead of building from source, if you want/need to avoid a long compilation. That said, Chromium builds in noticeably more time than Firefox, but doesn't have a -bin version.
gienah
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That said, Chromium builds in noticeably more time than Firefox, but doesn't have a -bin version.

www-client/google-chrome is a binary, there are some differences:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Chromium#What_is_the_difference_between_Google_Chrome_and_Chromium.3F
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: