[SOLVED] Missing cursors after updating to Gtk+3.14.9
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skotlex
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Missing cursors after updating to Gtk+3.14.9 Reply with quote

After updating Gtk+ some weeks ago, I noticed a few of my cursors stopped being used (thus being replaced by the defaults) and, despite my best efforts these past couple of days, I've been unable to figure out what filenames should be used to get the cursors back.

The most comprehensive guide I've found to help me with this is here, but the XCURSOR_DISCOVER environment variable is causing only the "name" of the cursors to show up, not their actual hash (and said "name" looks like a random string to me, as it changes every time I restart the X server), which means I can't actually use it to figure out the filenames I need.

So far, the three cursors which have been changed are:
- The text-area cursor (used to be xterm)
- The hover-on-link cursor (used to be link)
- The double-arrow when resizing colums (used to be ew-resize / h_double_arrow)

Is there somewhere where I can find a reference to the cursor filenames used by Gtk+? The closest I've found is this, but it's rather old and outdated.

EDIT: On second though, I suspect maybe the way that the cursor is set has changed in the more recent Gtk+ version, and that's why it doesn't work. I am looking into this currently.

REEDIT: Eureka. What happened is that I was missing the cursor theme specification in the Gtk3 settings.ini file, and while in previous versions Gtk+ would use the system default, in this version that no longer happens.

What was missing was, in $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, a line such as:
Code:

gtk-cursor-theme-name = default

Leaving the post here in case it ever helps somebody else.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: