systemctl fails with "Failed to get D-Bus connection"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momesana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: systemctl fails with "Failed to get D-Bus connection&qu Reply with quote

Hi,

I had some serious filesystem-corruptions on my gentoo box lately. After fixing them and updating the system I couldn't get systemctl to operate correctly anymore. Trying to call it results in the following error-message:
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Operation not permitted. Journald hasn't been anything eversince I rebooted the system after the update. For what it's worth, the systemd process seems to be up and running and starts all the processes at boot time so that the system is functional to some extent:
Code:

$ ps ax | grep systemd
  277 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd --daemon

I even tried emerge --emptytree @system but to no avail. Has anyone encountered similar problems or knows a workaround? Thx in advance.
in the world I see, you're stalking elk throught the grand canyon forests, around the ruins of the rockefeller center. You'll wear leather clothes, that will last you the rest of your life... (Tylers Vision)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw someone recently have dbus not start up because the user/group messagebus somehow did not exist... Not sure if this is the same problem you have. So journald is broken too? Need some log info to help debug.
momesana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I saw someone recently have dbus not start up because the user/group messagebus somehow did not exist... Not sure if this is the same problem you have. So journald is broken too? Need some log info to help debug.

The problem is that total lack of information because journald is not working anymore. dbus itself is running:

Code:

localhost momesana # ps ax | grep dbus
 1980 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
 3891 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
 3892 ?        Ss     0:01 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

The last entry generated by journald is from when I restarted the system after the mentioned update that led to the issue described here.

regards
mehdi
in the world I see, you're stalking elk throught the grand canyon forests, around the ruins of the rockefeller center. You'll wear leather clothes, that will last you the rest of your life... (Tylers Vision)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: