Gentoo on Asus RoG?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Asus RoG? Reply with quote

I've been considering to buy this badboy here: ASUS ROG G750 Series G750JM-DS71
but I am a little bit afraid that, since the hardware is quite recent (not top, I know, but still) some peripherals might have very unstable drivers and/or require weird custom patches to work at all (do I sound like I had this problem before? I did have this problem before).

Does anybody here have any experience with the hardware of this laptop? Should I expect troubles with any specific component, or should everything work fine with the most-up-to-date stable kernel?
whyfifunctor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the refurbished model which is RG750JM with a i7-4700HQ CPU and 24GB ram (I added 16). The only trouble I've had with it was the Broadcom wireless which had no Linux support as of October 2014ish, I fixed that by replacing it with an Intel card. Another slightly annoying thing is when using the NVidia driver I can only adjust the backlight in increments of 10% but when using the open source nouveau driver you get 1% resolution but sub-par opengl support.
Currently using kernel version 4.0.0 -- I've also run older versions of the kernel which worked fine. Never had any instability problems running for many days without rebooting.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whyfifunctor wrote:
I have the refurbished model which is RG750JM with a i7-4700HQ CPU and 24GB ram (I added 16). The only trouble I've had with it was the Broadcom wireless which had no Linux support as of October 2014ish, I fixed that by replacing it with an Intel card. Another slightly annoying thing is when using the NVidia driver I can only adjust the backlight in increments of 10% but when using the open source nouveau driver you get 1% resolution but sub-par opengl support.
Currently using kernel version 4.0.0 -- I've also run older versions of the kernel which worked fine. Never had any instability problems running for many days without rebooting.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, most Asus RoG come with this Killer Wireless card now, which I've never heard of. That might mean trouble if there are not drivers around. Have you ever heard anything about that?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: