davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
To successfully merge kde-apps-meta, I had to do the following preparations:

Unmask and unkeyword everything in kde-apps:
Code:
~ # eix -C kde-apps --only-names | while read x ; do echo "=${x}-15.04.0" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/kf5-apps ; echo "=${x}-15.04.0" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask/kf5-apps ; done

Just wanted say I believe people are probably better off changing

Code:

echo "=${x}-15.04.0"

to

Code:

echo "<${x}-15.04.50"

So that they can also get the point release updates which are usually bugfixes. 15.04.1 has been out for a couple weeks now and seems pretty complete in the overlay. I'm upgrading to it right now. :)

Also for people considering upgrading, on Plasma 5.3 I noticed some issues after using it for production for a couple weeks:

1. Activities seems mostly broken. In fact I've seen some segfaults. (I need to get around to searching for bugs and maybe making a bug report if need be for this and some of these other bugs -- I've just been pretty busy)

2. Session management is pretty badly broken and as of a week ago it wasn't fixed though people were slowly contributing patches. It didn't seem as if it would be fixed by 5.3.1 when I last looked but I'll need to look again. Maybe we'll get lucky. :)

3. I'm noticing some strangeness with the Plasma notifications sometimes after doing move operations in Dolphin. Sometimes, strangely, the notification gets "stuck" and when this happens the Plasma interface freezes for a while. I also notice memory usage skyrockets sometimes during this. If I'm able to manually stop and delete the "ghost" operation (the actual move completed long ago) notification that seemed to cure it at least once.

4. Possibly related to #3. After having my system up for three days straight and after heavy use at the moment I see plasmashell is using 1.3 Gigs of memory which seems excessive. As I recall at first it was only using 300M - 600M or so of memory so there is very likely a significant memory leak of some sort. I do have a weather plasmoid installed so it could possibly be that.

Other than the above [as bad as it sounds] the system is still quite usable for me for production activites and I have not been tempted to downgrade back to kde4 yet. This is with plasma 5.3.0, Frameworks 5.10 and KDE apps 15.04.0 installed. I'm upgrading to apps 15.04.01 now and Plasma 5.3.1 is scheduled to be released in about three days.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a change in how kde-l10n is packaged - :4 translations were split out into a new package kde-apps/kde4-l10n and this is where you need to set USE=minimal now, for all those who are running mixed setups. If you are running a pure plasma-5/kf-5 setup, you will only need the existing kde-apps/kde-l10n (now turned :5) package.

Yamakuzure wrote:
kde-apps/kde-l10n-15.04.0 fails to install. File collisions with kde-base/kdepim-l10n-4.14.3.

At the same time, this should be resolved now.
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
To successfully merge kde-apps-meta, I had to do the following preparations:

Unmask and unkeyword everything in kde-apps:
Code:
~ # eix -C kde-apps --only-names | while read x ; do echo "=${x}-15.04.0" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/kf5-apps ; echo "=${x}-15.04.0" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask/kf5-apps ; done

Just wanted say I believe people are probably better off changing

Code:

echo "=${x}-15.04.0"

to

Code:

echo "<${x}-15.04.50"

So that they can also get the point release updates which are usually bugfixes. 15.04.1 has been out for a couple weeks now and seems pretty complete in the overlay. I'm upgrading to it right now. :)

Also for people considering upgrading, on Plasma 5.3 I noticed some issues after using it for production for a couple weeks:

1. Activities seems mostly broken. In fact I've seen some segfaults. (I need to get around to searching for bugs and maybe making a bug report if need be for this and some of these other bugs -- I've just been pretty busy)

2. Session management is pretty badly broken and as of a week ago it wasn't fixed though people were slowly contributing patches. It didn't seem as if it would be fixed by 5.3.1 when I last looked but I'll need to look again. Maybe we'll get lucky. :)

3. I'm noticing some strangeness with the Plasma notifications sometimes after doing move operations in Dolphin. Sometimes, strangely, the notification gets "stuck" and when this happens the Plasma interface freezes for a while. I also notice memory usage skyrockets sometimes during this. If I'm able to manually stop and delete the "ghost" operation (the actual move completed long ago) notification that seemed to cure it at least once.

4. Possibly related to #3. After having my system up for three days straight and after heavy use at the moment I see plasmashell is using 1.3 Gigs of memory which seems excessive. As I recall at first it was only using 300M - 600M or so of memory so there is very likely a significant memory leak of some sort. I do have a weather plasmoid installed so it could possibly be that.

Other than the above [as bad as it sounds] the system is still quite usable for me for production activites and I have not been tempted to downgrade back to kde4 yet. This is with plasma 5.3.0, Frameworks 5.10 and KDE apps 15.04.0 installed. I'm upgrading to apps 15.04.01 now and Plasma 5.3.1 is scheduled to be released in about three days.

I hope you are aware that kde repository has in the Documentation subdir, the proper unmask and keyword listing :)

ls Documentation/*
Documentation/CODE Documentation/CONTRIBUTORS

Documentation/env:
debug-build kde-base profile-build README

Documentation/maintainers:
autotools_force_shared_libs copy-keywords gen-keywordlist kde-l10n-fetch.sh remove_unwanted_patches.sh sync-metadata.sh
bump-from-set.sh drop-from-set.sh git-hooks-commit-msg kde-l10n-repack.sh repack.sh try_dlopen.c
bump_new_revision.sh dynlink-scanner git-remote-branch keywords-bump.sh set-bump.sh
change_slot forum-post.txt inherit_fu_pkgs regenerate-files sync-gentoo-overlay.sh

Documentation/package.accept_keywords:
kde-4.11.49.9999.keywords kde-4.14.keywords kde-frameworks-5.8.keywords kde-live.keywords kde-plasma-live.keywords
kde-4.11.keywords kde-extras-live.keywords kde-frameworks-5.9.keywords kde-plasma-5.2.keywords
kde-4.14.49.9999.keywords kde-frameworks-5.10.keywords kde-frameworks-live.keywords kde-plasma-5.3.keywords

Documentation/package.keywords:
kde-4.11.49.9999.keywords kde-4.14.keywords kde-frameworks-5.8.keywords kde-live.keywords kde-plasma-live.keywords
kde-4.11.keywords kde-extras-live.keywords kde-frameworks-5.9.keywords kde-plasma-5.2.keywords
kde-4.14.49.9999.keywords kde-frameworks-5.10.keywords kde-frameworks-live.keywords kde-plasma-5.3.keywords

Documentation/package.mask:
kde-4.11 kde-frameworks-5.10 kde-frameworks-5.9 kdepim-4.7 kde-plasma-5.3
kde-4.14 kde-frameworks-5.8 kde-frameworks-live kde-plasma-5.2 kde-plasma-live

Documentation/package.unmask:
kde-4.11 kde-extras-live kde-frameworks-5.8 kde-frameworks-live kde-plasma-5.3
kde-4.14 kde-frameworks-5.10 kde-frameworks-5.9 kde-plasma-5.2 kde-plasma-live

Documentation/package.use:
no-pykde4.use
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yagami wrote:
I hope you are aware that kde repository has in the Documentation subdir, the proper unmask and keyword listing :)

Not for kde applications 15.04, however. :)
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
yagami wrote:

It would be easier for people probably if it did. Is there a reason for that like perhaps to keep people who are not ready away from it or is it just that the people handling the overlay are overworked?

Anyway this worked for me (on ~amd64 so I did not have to do keyword unmasking) to upgrade to Kde applications 15.04.1 (and should pull in subsequent point releases) for anyone needing it.

/etc/portage/package.unmask/kde-apps-15-04 :
http://pastebin.com/huJYiirq

I just changed the version numbers from the one generated from when I just upgraded to 15.04 earlier this month so it might be missing a few newer packages if they were just placed in the overlay.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
It would be easier for people probably if it did. Is there a reason for that like perhaps to keep people who are not ready away from it or is it just that the people handling the overlay are overworked?

Due to the KDE4- and KF5-based mix several things don't work together as you would expect: dolphin:4 without konsolepart; gwenview:5 without raw and libkipi support; then suddenly 15.04.x:4 games that depend on side-by-side installed 14.12.3 libs. The last one was easiest to solve because well prepared by upstream, the konsolepart thing would require packaging work that is thrown away as soon as dolphin:5 is released (probably 15.08, hopefully including dolphin-plugins as well...), and for the gwenview deps there's just been no release yet. Packaging wasn't complete until lately, and some things still need to be decided. For now, I do think someone who's using overlays should also be capable of creating ones own unmask files.

Personally, what works best for me is still a KDE4 desktop, taking just the KDE4-based bits from Applications releases, and I only consume Plasma 5 and Applications with either snapshots or live ebuilds of yet unreleased applications to get a more complete KF5-based desktop.
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, its almost everything working well, except telepathy : i just cannot connect to my hangouts account !

that and i hate that they release the ebuilds before the official release, leaving me with broken updates
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yagami wrote:

that and i hate that they release the ebuilds before the official release, leaving me with broken updates

I saw the "fetch restriction" too but by using "--keep-going" it completed fine just without those updates so no big deal. It just took a little longer. I'm sure there is a way to get around it but I decided just to play nice. :)
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded to Plasma 5.3.1 everything went well. Unfortunately though the bug for sessions/activities and virtual desktops is still present. When using these only some applications are saved after reboot and it will just throw it all on one activity on the first virtual workspace instead of where they belong.

Bug Report for those needing session management and considering upgrading to Plasma:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341930

Referenced QT bugs from above bug report with proposed patches:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-45484
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-46310
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is a minor documentation file collision between kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools-5.3.1 and kde-apps/kdesu-15.04.2:

Code:

* Messages for package kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools-5.3.1:

* This package will overwrite one or more files that may belong to other
 * packages (see list below). You can use a command such as `portageq
 * owners / <filename>` to identify the installed package that owns a
 * file. If portageq reports that only one package owns a file then do
 * NOT file a bug report. A bug report is only useful if it identifies at
 * least two or more packages that are known to install the same file(s).
 * If a collision occurs and you can not explain where the file came from
 * then you should simply ignore the collision since there is not enough
 * information to determine if a real problem exists. Please do NOT file
 * a bug report at http://bugs.gentoo.org unless you report exactly which
 * two packages install the same file(s). See
 * http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Blockers for tips on how to
 * solve the problem. And once again, please do NOT file a bug report
 * unless you have completely understood the above message.
 * Detected file collision(s):
 *      /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kdesu/index.cache.bz2
 *      /usr/share/man/man1/kdesu.1.bz2
 * Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
 * Press Ctrl-C to Stop
 * kde-apps/kdesu-15.04.2:4::kde
 *      /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kdesu/index.cache.bz2
 *      /usr/share/man/man1/kdesu.1.bz2
 * Package 'kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools-5.3.1' NOT merged due to file
 * collisions. If necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole
 * content of the above message.

Went ahead and forced it in for now by ignoring the collision.

Just thought I'd post it here although I believe I'm really supposed to file a bug with the [kde-overlay] prefix in the Gentoo bugtracker, right? I'll do that after I read the docs a bit more and register for an account. :)
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
genstorm wrote:
yagami wrote:

Anyway this worked for me (on ~amd64 so I did not have to do keyword unmasking) to upgrade to Kde applications 15.04.1 (and should pull in subsequent point releases) for anyone needing it.

/etc/portage/package.unmask/kde-apps-15-04 :
http://pastebin.com/huJYiirq

I just changed the version numbers from the one generated from when I just upgraded to 15.04 earlier this month so it might be missing a few newer packages if they were just placed in the overlay.

I appreciate your efforts! I used your method to get the apps installed.
Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: