View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ;) Now let's test the hell out of it!
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good , except for:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346867
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to install KF9+Plasma 5.3 using the plasma upgrade guide. One thing I am wondering though is how can I painlessly install the (unreleased) frameworks branch of dolphin?

I was able to use package.unmask and package.accept_keywords to get it to start to install dolphin-9999 but the problem is it then wanted to upgrade pretty much every frameworks package as well using the live -9999 versions. Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe that is really necessary. Is there a better way to do this?

edit: I think I figured out how to use sets from the kde overlay. Unfortunately though it seems when I use a set such as @kde-baseapps-live it tries to force an upgrade to live versions of all sorts of frameworks apps.

The good news is though that after several hours kde plasma 5.3 seems reasonably stable. In fact my multi-monitor setup is less buggy under plasma 5.3 than it was under the latest stable 4.x workspace. :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
I was able to use package.unmask and package.accept_keywords to get it to start to install dolphin-9999 but the problem is it then wanted to upgrade pretty much every frameworks package as well using the live -9999 versions. Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe that is really necessary.

A few days ago packages started to depend on unreleased kf 5.10 upstream. There is no way to tell with live ebuilds when that happens, they just won't build at some point. The safest way to do it is through creating a snapshot ebuild.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
davidm wrote:
I was able to use package.unmask and package.accept_keywords to get it to start to install dolphin-9999 but the problem is it then wanted to upgrade pretty much every frameworks package as well using the live -9999 versions. Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe that is really necessary.

A few days ago packages started to depend on unreleased kf 5.10 upstream. There is no way to tell with live ebuilds when that happens, they just won't build at some point. The safest way to do it is through creating a snapshot ebuild.

Thanks genstorm. I guess I'll just stick with the regular applications for now and read some more documentation on the kde overlay to get familiar with it before trying to do more. It does seem snappier to me on my modest hardware with compositing and my Quadro FX570 running nouveau with kernel 4.0.1.

edit: the issue below suddenly resolved itself in rebooting after installing some other packages and resolving the issue in the post below. I'm not sure what exactly fixed it.
I do see one minor issue maybe you or someone else knows about. I can manually lock my screen and I can put the monitor into standby with
"xset dpms force off" but for some reason the automatic screenlocker and monitor power save doesn't seem to be working when it worked on kde4 and plasma 5.1 in the past on Arch. I seem to have the appropriate options set in systemsettings as well. "Lock screen automatically after" checks and set to 5 min. "Lock on resume" checked. No relevant messages in /var/log/messages,dmesg, or .xsession-errors which I see. I went ahead and got rid of all my kde-base packages to get rid of blockers during the upgrade so perhaps I took out something even though I used "kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.3.0" which should have pulled in what was needed for that...?

Last edited by davidm on Sun May 03, 2015 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to maybe help someone else out trying Plasma 5.

By default after installing it with sddm I was getting this awful version of the Maui theme with really bad unreadable fonts. When trying to change it as a normal user to use the Breeze theme in system settings I was getting the message "You are not allowed to save the configuration" and when I tried to change it it thus never took.

There might be a better way but what I found is you can just go to a root terminal and type "systemsettings5" and then go to "startup and shutdown" and then look for the sddm option. systemsettings5 might be all garbled with missing icons and stuff but don't worry it still worked for me. Click on any other theme but Breeze then click back on breeze and hit apply a couple times. While there you might want to hit the advanced tab and enter in something like "/sbin/reboot" for the reboot command and/or "/sbin/halt" for the halt command. I found without my doing that after logging out and getting back to sddm and trying to reboot the countdown would start and the reboot button would do nothing. The countdown would get to zero and then proceed to negative numbers forever. :) Anyway this should fix it. You could probably also manually edit a /etc/sddm.conf file as well if you prefer.
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Just to maybe help someone else out trying Plasma 5.

By default after installing it with sddm I was getting this awful version of the Maui theme with really bad unreadable fonts. When trying to change it as a normal user to use the Breeze theme in system settings I was getting the message "You are not allowed to save the configuration" and when I tried to change it it thus never took.

There might be a better way but what I found is you can just go to a root terminal and type "systemsettings5" and then go to "startup and shutdown" and then look for the sddm option. systemsettings5 might be all garbled with missing icons and stuff but don't worry it still worked for me. Click on any other theme but Breeze then click back on breeze and hit apply a couple times. While there you might want to hit the advanced tab and enter in something like "/sbin/reboot" for the reboot command and/or "/sbin/halt" for the halt command. I found without my doing that after logging out and getting back to sddm and trying to reboot the countdown would start and the reboot button would do nothing. The countdown would get to zero and then proceed to negative numbers forever. :) Anyway this should fix it. You could probably also manually edit a /etc/sddm.conf file as well if you prefer.

Strange, honestly i dont remeber having any sddm problem!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm, your issues are typical for sddm with non-systemd use. It does not support consolekit anymore, that means your session will probably also lack shutdown/reboot support, among other annoyances whenever an action requires root rights.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
davidm, your issues are typical for sddm with non-systemd use. It does not support consolekit anymore, that means your session will probably also lack shutdown/reboot support, among other annoyances whenever an action requires root rights.

Well it can shutdown and reboot. I just have to logoff first and then click the reboot button (or use the CLI). I was reading a little about sddm making use of systemd but thankfully it still mostly works without it.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a side question: Isn't it rumored that KF5 will not be production ready until about summer 2016?

And another one: What about kdepim and KF5? I do actually need it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KF5 is ready as can be, as it's just the libraries - nothing you can actually 'see'. Plasma 5.3 is also rather stable, I can't remember any crash during the last months running git master most of the time. What's still rather incomplete is applications, which are only to a small part already ported to KF5. KDE PIM is trailing behind and planned for a 15.08 release in August. However, you can still use PIM from KDE4.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Plasma 5.3 now (but with the ~amd64 applications) for a couple days now on my production system and it really is pretty stable. I haven't had any crashes yet at all. Just the aforementioned issue. Also stay away from the new monitor plasmoids (like the cpu monitor). It seems they use too much CPU power. The only other issue I have seen so far is some flickering sometimes when switching applications or virtual desktops. But this is probably due to Nouveau if anything as things weren't perfect with kde4 either.

I have a dual monitor setup and it's handling it nicely without any issues. This is much better than it was Oct-Dec 2014 where I had lots of trouble with the dual monitor set up while using Plasma 5.[1-2].
mrbassie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's responsiveness like compared to kde4 (-semantic-desktop)?
koan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
I've been using Plasma 5.3 now

Plasma 5.2.95 and Plama 5.3 seem to what me to use the -9999 versions for all the kde-framework/ files. So I hesitated.

Is that normal or have I messed something up?
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koan wrote:
davidm wrote:
I've been using Plasma 5.3 now

Plasma 5.2.95 and Plama 5.3 seem to what me to use the -9999 versions for all the kde-framework/ files. So I hesitated.

Well I used this to do the upgrade:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade

I saw a lot of blockers so I went ahead and did:

Code:

root #emerge --ask --depclean kde-base/kdelibs $(qlist -IC 'kde-base/*') $(for name in $(qlist -IC | grep -v '^kde-base/') ; do ( qdepends -C $name | grep -q kdelibs ) && echo $name ; done)

as suggested by: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Removal

When I ran into your issue with all sorts of live -9999 packages it was because I botched up this step from the Plasma 5 upgrade guide:

Code:

root #ln -s /path/to/overlay/kde/Documentation/package.unmask/kde-plasma-5.2

(note: I manually changed it to use kde-plasma-5.3 -- should we change that wiki page to update it for 5.3? )

...I forgot to change the path to the overlay files. After I changed that all was fine. I also went ahead and used the Plasma profile as suggested.

Last edited by davidm on Tue May 05, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
What's responsiveness like compared to kde4 (-semantic-desktop)?

It does seem quicker to me so far for the UI but it's only been a few days.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koan wrote:

That only happens when you forget to unmask kde-frameworks/ release versions.
koan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
koan wrote:

That only happens when you forget to unmask kde-frameworks/ release versions.

I had both frameworks and plasma missing from unmask :) I guess I must have removed them in an effort to fix something else.
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave the Gentoo version of KF5.9/Plasma5.3 a go today. Didnt go much better than on Kubuntu.

Crashes in KWin/Kinit all the time. Crash on logout. Window grouping doesn't work. Gave up pretty quick.

I think Ill wait a while for things to settle down and for it to be fully in Gentoo portage.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I guess this is the new KDE Plasma thread (?), does anyone know if the later application releases are available on the kde-overlay? I don't see a relevant package.unmask in '/var/lib/layman/kde/Documentation/package.unmask' but I see some packages have later versions with ebuilds available in kde-apps/*. Is there a reason for this such as it just not being done and not enough people working on the overlay or is there something else I am missing? Should I just create my own package.unmask and give it a shot?

shazeal wrote:
Gave the Gentoo version of KF5.9/Plasma5.3 a go today. Didnt go much better than on Kubuntu.

Crashes in KWin/Kinit all the time. Crash on logout. Window grouping doesn't work. Gave up pretty quick.

I think Ill wait a while for things to settle down and for it to be fully in Gentoo portage.

Strange, it must be related to specific hardware or something where people have different experiences. Since I switched I honestly haven't had a single crash or freeze yet. And I'm using this system for production work and am on it in my home office >=12 hours a day.
pauldcox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
I've been using Plasma 5.3 now (but with the ~amd64 applications) for a couple days now on my production system

How are you able to use the 64 bit apps? Because last I tried about a month ago, they were all completely hardmasked for 64 bit for whatever reason that I don't understand. Pretty annoying to realize that after compiling for hours and then discovering you don't even have konsole. Was so annoyed I switched back to Arch and am using Plasma5, KF5, and KDE Apps 5 (with some 4) with zero problems.
kensington
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:

I saw a lot of blockers

Do you remember which unresolvable blockers you ran into? Any feedback about upgrade is appreciated, and will go a long way to improving the migration experience for others when it hits the main tree.
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensington wrote:

Do you remember which unresolvable blockers you ran into? Any feedback about upgrade is appreciated, and will go a long way to improving the migration experience for others when it hits the main tree.

Main one for me was kde-base/kactivities blocking kde-frameworks/kactivities. Required setting "-kde" on app-office/calligra.

Code:
[blocks B      ] kde-base/kactivities:4[-minimal(-)] ("kde-base/kactivities:4[-minimal(-)]" is blocking kde-frameworks/kactivities-5.9.0)

Code:
 * These packages depend on kde-base/kactivities:
app-office/calligra-2.9.4 (kde ? >=kde-base/kactivities-4.13.1:4[aqua=])
kde-base/dolphin-4.14.3 (>=kde-base/kactivities-4.13:4[aqua=])
kde-base/kwin-4.11.17 (>=kde-base/kactivities-4.11.17:4[aqua=])
kde-base/libtaskmanager-4.11.17 (>=kde-base/kactivities-4.11.17:4[aqua=])
kde-base/plasma-runtime-4.14.3 (>=kde-base/kactivities-4.13:4[aqua=])
kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.11.17 (>=kde-base/kactivities-4.11.17:4[aqua=])
kde-base/powerdevil-4.11.17 (>=kde-base/kactivities-4.11.17:4[aqua=])

kensington
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shazeal wrote:
Main one for me was kde-base/kactivities blocking kde-frameworks/kactivities. Required setting "-kde" on app-office/calligra.

Code:
[blocks B      ] kde-base/kactivities:4[-minimal(-)] ("kde-base/kactivities:4[-minimal(-)]" is blocking kde-frameworks/kactivities-5.9.0)

This is solved by building kactivites with the minimal USE flag (and is handled automatically if you set the plasma profile).
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensington wrote:
davidm wrote:

I saw a lot of blockers

I knew I should have kept notes. :(

From what I recall there was a filename collision, some problems with having to specify qt5 vs qt4 in package.use, and there were blockers for kde various packages in spite of using the recommended Plasma profile. However at soem point I also discovered I botched the recommended package.unmask from the kde-overlay. Also I note I still have the 'handbook' USE flag enabled.

I'll try to find relevant output from my Portage logs and if/as I find it will update this post and add below.

------------

File collision

Code:

>>> Messages generated by process 23087 on 2015-05-02 16:37:05 EDT for package kde-plasma/polkit-kde-agent-5.3.0:

ERROR: preinst
This package will overwrite one or more files that may belong to other
packages (see list below). You can use a command such as `portageq
owners / <filename>` to identify the installed package that owns a
file. If portageq reports that only one package owns a file then do
NOT file a bug report. A bug report is only useful if it identifies at
least two or more packages that are known to install the same file(s).
If a collision occurs and you can not explain where the file came from
then you should simply ignore the collision since there is not enough
information to determine if a real problem exists. Please do NOT file
a bug report at http://bugs.gentoo.org unless you report exactly which
two packages install the same file(s). See
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Blockers for tips on how to
solve the problem. And once again, please do NOT file a bug report
unless you have completely understood the above message.

Detected file collision(s):

/usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.mo

Searching all installed packages for file collisions...

Press Ctrl-C to Stop

sys-auth/polkit-kde-agent-0.99.1-r1:4::gentoo
        /usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.mo

Package 'kde-plasma/polkit-kde-agent-5.3.0' NOT merged due to file
collisions. If necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole
content of the above message.

As I recall I resolved this one by manually unmerging the kde4 version of polkit.

------------------------------------------------------

qt5 vs qt4

I don't see the relevant portion in my logs yet but at that time it appears I had to add this to 'package.use' to handle the qt5 vs qt4 issue.

Code:

media-video/smplayer qt5 -qt4
dev-util/cmake qt5 -qt4
media-video/vlc qt5 -qt4

This was around May 2, 2015 and I was reading that this might have been fixed at least partially in another topic where it would automatically choose qt5 when both are enabled?
--------------------------------
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: