Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Lockdown kernel for the first time (questions)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NTU
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Lockdown kernel for the first time (questions) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I had a problem: No modules load when building a 5.4 LTS kernel with Lockdown enabled. dmesg shows:
Code:
Loading of module with unsupported crypto is rejected

Solution:

After running `modinfo` on one of the modules installed, I noticed that it was signed using sha256. In my kernel config, I had CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256 disabled. By default, CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_KEY is set to "certs/signing_key.pem" which I think is a 4096-bit RSA key that gets autogenerated at compile time?

Even though I had selected the following options:

CONFIG_MODULE_SIG=y
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_FORCE=y
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL=y
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_SHA1=y

For the kernel modules to load with your build auto-generated key, at least by default, you have to enable CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256:

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/CRYPTO_SHA256.html

I have a few questions for any crypto guys here.. Since MODULE_SIG_ALL and MODULE_SIG_SHA1 were enabled, how does SHA256 come into play, since LibreSSL does not support SHA256 encryption? Matter of fact, it will error out if you enable MODULE_SIG_SHA256 on a LibreSSL system.

MODULE_SIG_SHA1, OK.. SHA1 is a 160-bit hash.. SHA256 is 256-bits (what modinfo shows) and the RSA key by default is 4096-bits.. Huh? 3 different layers of encryption in difference places, and somewhere PKCS#7 falls into this?

Very noobish question, I'm just confused by what's happening with the kernel "signing a bunch of stuff." :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: