Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladesy wrote:
I installed steam as my user, and it launched after installation. So I closed it and tried to run it again, but I got a similar error:
Code:
fractured@tux steam $ ./steam
Couldn't find dpkg, please update steamdeps for your distribution.
...$

STEAM for linux has targeted Ubuntu/Debian (especially since SteamOS is debian based), it expects something to "magically" just work (tm). All other distro's have todo all the dirty work themselves.

This line is showing that the steam runtime is attempting to satisfy its own runtime dependencies BUT fails because ... it isn't Ubuntu. Essencially it is trying to ensure the MINIMUM xorg exists:

xorg-server
mesa
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using steam using the manual route for ages now and never ran into any problems. Starting games using my nvidia discrete card via bumblebee works well.

Why are people still insisting to use steam-meta?
Steam is an all-for-the-using-user install anyway. And so far, apart from causing a plethora of trouble, nobody ever could answer the question what an advantage the ebuild has, anyway.
Bladesy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for going a bit slient there, but I was trying a few fixes and I think I broke Xorg. It wouldn't let me load up my WM, so I decided it would be quicker for a reinstall than trying to remember what I could've done to break my system. The first thing I did was try to install steam, but I got the exact same error.
It just doesn't seem to be happening.
I guess I could just install it wine, this PC should handle simple games okay I think, since wine isn't emulating - hopefully they're still playable after the performance hit.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam things work very well with Wine, but I think I would still suggest trying the native client (too).

Did you install Steam via the ebuild this time, or did you try the manual method, following the guide at the wikki? That's probably what I would suggest next if you were still unable to get the ebuild-method to work.

As for your X problems, I'd imagine it could have been because of the configuration files you created (or changed). Intel generally shouldn't need any xorg.conf file, but if one wants to do special things like switch from the acceleration method to another (which was suggested), then a configuration file is usually the way to go.

I still stick to ye olde /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead of the directories.

You did not mention if you checked dmesg after the error. There might be a hint there (though I doubt it a little).
Bladesy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried all methods in my last gentoo install, but this time I just tried the manual method. I've no more X problems after the new gentoo install, but I think I should just give up on the native client - I might get less performance overall, but I guess I've got a bigger range of games to try.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:

One good example of Steam's bad /tmp use is that it tends to leave a certain file (starting with steam_chrome_shmem...) that will make Steam run very slow if another user runs it and the file is still around from the other. I did just now look at it though to confirm the name of it, and I see my user name is now there, too, so they might have finally fixed this!

I have a problem that sounds like this. Steam is extremely slow. Sometimes it might answer to clicks, but mostly no. I've tried removing it, created a new user to test it (so there's absolutely nothing in homedir) but nothing helps.

Seeing this got me excited that finally I don't have to boot to Ubuntu for games, but no. There's no such file in my /tmp left behind. Steam creates one when it's running.

Running Steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=0 looks like this:
http://pastebin.com/NsTpif6u

Problem started when I got rid of emul-linux-x86* packages so I've been quite sure this is about some missing or wrong dependency. I have emerge -e @world after the change so everything should be compiled.

Any ideas?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

micko,

Indeed that what I wrote about only happened when more than one user would run Steam in the same environment, and if the file was left laying about (which may have now changed). I think it was apparent from the terminal output as well, but regardless, it shouldn't be an issue when only one user is creating the files.

From a quick look at the output, I'd wager a guess that you're missing 32-bit libraries that Steam requires. This might be backed up by the fact that you recently got rid of the emul-linux-packages, and that you're using STEAM_RUNTIME=0.

What happens with STEAM_RUNTIME=1? I'm not overly familiar with the dependencies as I normally have this enabled myself.

Do games outside Steam work? Perhaps check the usual suspects such as Xorg.0.log, eselect opengl, and glxinfo.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=1 (or actually without it, because it's 1 by default). Someone here suggested to try STEAM_RUNTIME=0 to find reason for problems. That's why I tried it. Now that I read my post again, I wasn't so clear about that...

Here's the console output when running normally: http://pastebin.com/1NG0DhAb

Steam window and Update News opens just fine, but they're either extremely slow or totally unresponsive. Moving the cursor over "Library"-word might highlight it (after a while) but clicking never does anything.

OpenGL is working just fine and no suspicious errors in Xorg.0.log.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are those font errors?
what is the output of eselect fontconfig list

Code:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib" ~/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh
/home/jrb/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 159: DISTRIB_RELEASE: unbound variable
/home/jrb/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 159: DISTRIB_RELEASE: unbound variable
Running Steam on gentoo  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled by the user
[2015-05-22 13:19:11] Startup - updater built May 20 2015 17:02:09
[2015-05-22 13:19:11] Opted in to client beta 'publicbeta' via beta file
You are in the 'publicbeta' client beta.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1432242480)
[2015-05-22 13:19:11] Verifying installation...
[2015-05-22 13:19:11] Verification complete
[0522/131912:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(170)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(20150520170202)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1432141322)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(20150520170202)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1432242480)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1432242480)
FillInMachineIDInfo took a total of 0 milliseconds

** (steam:6534): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
Generating new string page texture 2: 48x256, total string texture memory is 49.15 KB
Generating new string page texture 3: 256x256, total string texture memory is 311.30 KB
Adding licenses for the following package(s): 0, 11, 34, 72, 1053, 1311, 2481, 4314, 6882, 6896, 8866, 11107, 11108, 11261, 12083, 13318, 13455, 16213, 16521, 16549, 16724, 16831, 25946, 28540, 29389, 30371, 32028, 35653, 36075, 49101, 54029, 56900, 61326, 68387
roaming config store loaded successfully - 3323 bytes.
migrating temporary roaming config store
sh: lspci: command not found
ExecCommandLine: ""/home/jrb/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam" "
System startup time: 14.12 seconds
/home/jrb/.steam/root/steam.sh: line 159: DISTRIB_RELEASE: unbound variable
[0522/131926:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(212)] Running without renderer sandbox
/home/jrb/.steam/root/steam.sh: line 159: DISTRIB_RELEASE: unbound variable
Running Steam on gentoo  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/jrb/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
Generating new string page texture 71: 128x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
Generating new string page texture 72: 64x256, total string texture memory is 507.90 KB
Generating new string page texture 73: 32x256, total string texture memory is 540.67 KB
Generating new string page texture 74: 512x256, total string texture memory is 1.06 MB
Generating new string page texture 76: 128x256, total string texture memory is 131.07 KB
/home/jrb/.steam/root/steam.sh: line 764: STEAMSCRIPT_OUTOFDATE: unbound variable
Generating new string page texture 77: 8x256, total string texture memory is 1.07 MB
Generating new string page texture 78: 128x256, total string texture memory is 1.20 MB
ExecCommandLine: "/home/jrb/.steam/root/ubuntu12_32/steam steam://open/driverhelperready"
ExecSteamURL: "steam://open/driverhelperready"
Generating new string page texture 86: 384x256, total string texture memory is 1.60 MB
Generating new string page texture 87: 2048x256, total string texture memory is 3.69 MB
Generating new string page texture 88: 1024x256, total string texture memory is 4.74 MB
Generating new string page texture 90: 128x256, total string texture memory is 4.87 MB
Generating new string page texture 91: 256x256, total string texture memory is 5.14 MB

Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micko wrote:
I'm running Steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=1 (or actually without it, because it's 1 by default). Someone here suggested to try STEAM_RUNTIME=0 to find reason for problems. That's why I tried it. Now that I read my post again, I wasn't so clear about that...

I actually did expect you were indeed normally running with STEAM_RUNTIME=1, but I wanted to make sure, especially since I seem to remember that the ebuilds may toggle it as well, so if using those, it might actually be set to something else than otherwise expected.

micko wrote:
Here's the console output when running normally: http://pastebin.com/1NG0DhAb

Steam window and Update News opens just fine, but they're either extremely slow or totally unresponsive. Moving the cursor over "Library"-word might highlight it (after a while) but clicking never does anything.

OpenGL is working just fine and no suspicious errors in Xorg.0.log.

Hmmm. I can't see anything I don't have, except for

Code:
LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

Aside from its erroneous grammar, it's probably harmless. (It has actually been reported upstream even.)

I get the fontconfig errors, and the warning, too.

Oh, another difference I see:

Code:
Running Steam on gentoo 13.0 64-bit

I'm not thinking this is a great lead or anything, but I don't have that 13.0 (profile? I'm using default/linux/amd64/13.0). I am curious as to where it comes from... I guess if I look at the Steam script, and the way it detects the 'version', I will find out. Similar to Naib's output, I have nothing there.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:

Oh, another difference I see:

Code:
Running Steam on gentoo 13.0 64-bit

I'm not thinking this is a great lead or anything, but I don't have that 13.0 (profile? I'm using default/linux/amd64/13.0). I am curious as to where it comes from... I guess if I look at the Steam script, and the way it detects the 'version', I will find out. Similar to Naib's output, I have nothing there.

Some time ago I had other problems with Steam. It complained about unset environment variable DISTRIB_RELEASE, so I set it to something, and fixed the problem. There's no versions in Gentoo so I chose profile name. I have export DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.0 in my .bashrc. Seems like the variable is not required anymore since everything works without it as well.

Yeah... I got it working. I have no idea what the original cause was, but your tip of checking Xorg.0.log lead me to a solution. Glxgears worked ok, and everything else with opengl too so I didn't look at GLX entries too well in Xorg.0.log. I tried older nvidia drivers and that broke everything. After a while of testing and searching I ran into this https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=534128 which seemed to fix everything.

It's weird since I've had this problem with Steam since I removed the emul-x86-libraries... At least a couple of months. I've rebooted and updated kernel and nvidia drivers several times during that. And everything else has worked all the time. Now after fixing the symlink everything, including Steam, works.

Thanks.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micko wrote:
Some time ago I had other problems with Steam. It complained about unset environment variable DISTRIB_RELEASE, so I set it to something, and fixed the problem. There's no versions in Gentoo so I chose profile name. I have export DISTRIB_RELEASE=13.0 in my .bashrc. Seems like the variable is not required anymore since everything works without it as well.

Ah, well that explains that!

micko wrote:
Yeah... I got it working. I have no idea what the original cause was, but your tip of checking Xorg.0.log lead me to a solution. Glxgears worked ok, and everything else with opengl too so I didn't look at GLX entries too well in Xorg.0.log. I tried older nvidia drivers and that broke everything. After a while of testing and searching I ran into this https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=534128 which seemed to fix everything.

It's weird since I've had this problem with Steam since I removed the emul-x86-libraries... At least a couple of months. I've rebooted and updated kernel and nvidia drivers several times during that. And everything else has worked all the time. Now after fixing the symlink everything, including Steam, works.

Thanks.

Interesting that it would be that. I think I'm affected by the bug as well, but in a different way (hence I unfortunately did not (yet) suggest a workaround for it since it seemed all so different).

In my case, Steam stopped launching completely, and I have been using the workaround mentioned by Naib in this post (seems I never remembered to post a thanks for that; the bug got me quite confuddled since I had just been experimenting with various USE-flags, and then thought I broke something and kept rebuilding things to no avail, and all along it was this bug that had slid in... so thanks!).

Great you figured it out!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: