View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: new website design, cool, but it sucks Reply with quote

Am i the only one to think the new design sucks?

The "gentoo linux logo" + menu + "emerge your world" section is weird and looks ugly as a fuck.
-> it looks like 3 big bars and with the next section, it looks like 4 big bars design, yeah totally ugly
-> The colors, from 1st bar in light violet, 2nd in dark violet and worst the 3rd in many colours... Really something only a kid may like, as it gave a look like a kid paint it. (and it wouldn't help colour blind users, while it might appears really better if you are colour-blind)
-> The upper menu lack link to the forum, user need to browse down all the site to find out a link to the forum ; and it have a "Get Stared" that is a dup of the next section.

The last section (the big menu) is really too big and ugly.
-> within that last section the credits (gentoo foundation copyright part) is also too big because of the small picture with eyes that could had been put within it, dunno but below g+,f and tweeter logos or just gone away as it looks odd and kid madden again.
-> the logo (i don't know the saucer looking like, i think it is planet gentoo logo), looks odd (again) and gave (again) a kid looking. There's a difference between looking fun (you may appears cool) and candid (you may appears like a child).
And this doesn't look cool.

I think this design might be good for text browser only.
Better just delete the lower menu and kept only credits there (without this stupid eyes pic), put some dhtml (you can do it with css and no javascript) opening menu upper (or non dhtml for non ready browser), so the upper menu will remain thin but with all infos user need. At least if not delete it need to be really smaller.
That "emerge your world" section need rewrite, not using black background with colored compile output and set the "learn more" in the same color as "get started now" to reduce colour and that messy looking.
Can merge the "gentoo linux/get getnoo!" part within the "emerge your world section" to lower the "big bars" effect.

I'm not against change, but seriously, this ugly and kid looking is not good change!
I really enjoy the design of the 1st april joke, as it met its purpose and was so well done, but this new design sucks and seems like made as a 2nd april joke.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it's getting time to turn CSS off in the browsers.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forums could use an overhaul as well...
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:

Here's something to think about — when's the last time you did an install without a GUI available? Did you notice the old site was perfectly usable on the text-mode browser (the one the handbook said to use)? Yeah, this one isn't even good for that.

frostschutz wrote:
The forums could use an overhaul as well...

phpBB2 is completely incompatible with Bootstrap, thankfully.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
phpBB2 is completely incompatible with Bootstrap, thankfully.

Ah, but you can convert phpBB2 to pretty much every other software :lol:

Quote:
when's the last time you did an install without a GUI available?

I think it was around the time I registered here
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
krinn wrote:

Here's something to think about — when's the last time you did an install without a GUI available? Did you notice the old site was perfectly usable on the text-mode browser (the one the handbook said to use)? Yeah, this one isn't even good for that.

Actually it was, as the last time i use a text browser to install gentoo was 2003 and the doc wasn't inside some dirty wiki page, but just plain text file (the handbook was plain text, multi-part html or one page html)
F_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm in the minority, but i'm so happy gentoo.org pulls up nicely on my phone now.

I really like the new site.

I definitely agree with frostschutz, however, about the forums needing a massive interface overhaul now.
Irre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is too unfocused 8O
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it is impossible to please everyone. I think the new site is great. Kudos to the devs and designers involved.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrueXYZ wrote:
Of course, it is impossible to please everyone.
I'm not web designer, but I thought it was considered Good Design to keep content and presentation separate. The result being that more options were available to view the content.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'm not web designer, but I thought it was considered Good Design to keep content and presentation separate. The result being that more options were available to view the content.

Which has nothing to do with the (current) design, but the implementation of the site. Nothing stops Gentoo project to waste man hours to produce a number of different templates and designs so the users can select between them because of different tastes.
reisio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's slightly better than the incredibly aged previous frontend, but only slightly. Bootstrap is nonsense.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrueXYZ wrote:
pjp wrote:

Which has nothing to do with the (current) design, but the implementation of the site. Nothing stops Gentoo project to waste man hours to produce a number of different templates and designs so the users can select between them because of different tastes.
See, that's why I mentioned I wasn't a web designer. :) I was thinking the content should be available, but I see the difference. Still, seems like Good Design would not prevent content availability simply due to use of javascript for example. A graceful (or not so graceful) failure to plain text. I think something similar is necessary for sites to work for the blind. Further, Good Design probably ought to begin with the lowest common denominator (plain text) and then add eye candy.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please go back to the old and simple design. The new design is very confusing not easy readable and navigable.

Also fix the Forum Posts. Some of the text rolls of the screen if enlarges by Ctrl + keys or becomes a micro front, when made visible with Ctrl - keys in my Firefox browser and 1920 x 1024 screen only readable with a strong magnifying lens.

Good example:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1014116-highlight-.html

Bad examples:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1014456-highlight-.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1014104.html

Thank you.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
See, that's why I mentioned I wasn't a web designer. :)

To be a designer you need real talent and skill to produce something that looks nice.
While you don't need such talent yourself to judge the result of a designer.

Many people just forget design is not limit to "looking nice", but it also include the "context".
You may get an awesome looking by designing a website only in flash, made by a talent graphist, but your content will be tied to only users using flash. Such kind of design "may" be good for fashion website, but certainly not for gentoo or some other OS or technology website related content.

I think the old design was doing a finer job, the infos was there, it wasn't really the best looking one yeah, but it was doing the job, and doing it well, as it was practical and functional.
What is bad is that the new design try to fix that in an attempt to look nicer. The problem is that it not only doesn't look nicer, but it looks worst ; while we in the step also loose the previous design functionality.
The new design is just a typical bootstrap theme adapt to gentoo ; this kind of default design are made to help everyone getting start with its project, but using such default design to actually made your project gave the result we have now. Does this remind you something? -> http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/examples/hero.html

And instead of sticking with that "default" design, the changes made to adapt it were badly made, making the default design looking nicer than the actual result base on it (their "hello world" part is not full of colors), number of colors is limited, no fancy kid pic in there, and the lower part is thin ; and you don't have that big bars feeling we have in the default design as well (because of the upper gentoo logo and "get gentoo gentoo.org sites" menus).
There's no designer work made there ; the design is a derivative of a "default" boostrap example, that isn't itself ugly, but well, just a basic example.

What we have here is the result of a coder, not a designer.
I'm not lowering the work that coder has made, but alas the result is what we have, and that result is bad. The problem is that if you put time and effort on doing something, and your result is bad, should you keep that bad result because of the time and effort you put in it?
But we don't have to totally trash that result as well, but some changes are need to fix this really ugly looking.

ps: note that this coder doesn't like me ; i feel the need to let everyone be aware of it, as this could seen as some retaliation in our war. Well, for me, there's no war, but still people should know this to judge themselves if what i'm saying is against him only or to help gentoo.
F_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITT: people who act like they use the front page of www.gentoo.org after running Gentoo for years.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my homepage for years, you seems to be surprise, well, this homepage gave me news about my distro (i specially like to see dev blog posts entries).
F_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
This is my homepage for years, you seems to be surprise, well, this homepage gave me news about my distro (i specially like to see dev blog posts entries).

It's still there, dude. Have you tried scrolling down?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post was about troll: if you don't use the front page, why you care...
Well, sorry, i do troll sometimes, but (mostly, check my posts) for fun purpose not to act like a troll only.
If you are really in doubt about it, just ask the admin they will be able to provide you my stats about the front page access from my ip.
So yes, i care about the front page, as i see it always when i open my browser (and this for years, might be harder for admin to prove it i suppose, but if they could you'll be amaze by the number), and i care because everyone will see it, it is a part of gentoo experience and the first thing a new user will see.

I wonder how you start questioning if i'm a troll to endup being one yourself ; it's not i couldn't enjoy some, but when it's well done and not only to mock someone.
Balgerda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly OP isn't alone, since Gentoo users are mostly power users.
I know the change was made for the site to look "better". Concerning how the site looks, I'll just say that big fonts and flat buttons suck.
Besides, I have an actual issue: when using NetSurf, the site is displayed like in a mobile device browser.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this will be a most unpopular opinion, but I do like the new page much better than the old one.
Yes, that big bar on top is a bit huge. But nevertheless I think that newcomers will find the information they need much faster and easier now.

Okay, I admit, that I was shocked, too, at the first glance, but that was mostly due to the blindness of the old sites shortcomings due to years of regular usage. I've always known where to click for what without even looking.

So if this "emerge your world" bar became, let's say, half its current size, I'd be most happy with the new layout.

(But that's only my personal opinion of a definite non-designer. ;-) )
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it been tweaked since it was first released at the beginning of this month? Anyway, I like it (the 'emerge your world' is a tad corny, though). Mind you, I virtually never visit the Home Page. Keep up the good work, whoever you are. Next, the Forums, please!

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Has it been tweaked since it was first released at the beginning of this month? Anyway, I like it (the 'emerge your world' is a tad corny, though). Mind you, I virtually never visit the Home Page. Keep up the good work, whoever you are. Next, the Forums, please!
Oh, come on! The forums are good as they are.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the forums need an overhaul
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They took off the big emerge world text, and it looks better now, that's good start.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: