n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you people so mean :((
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off "An aside of (mutual) beef.", as those posts bore little relevance to the topic at hand.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
While it is refreshing to see a new design, I am not sure I really like it as much. Listed below is my thoughts of the new design on the page.

1. I have no reference of time frame for the blog posts. I like on reading the blog posts, but the new design doesn't give me any time frame of when it was added. I don't know if one was just added yesterday, last month or last year without going to that person's blog.

2. You have to hunt for the links to the parts you want. On the old site, you had a navigation bar on the left for a easy link to the online package list, to irc info and to the forums. Now you have to scroll around and hunt to get to those pages.

3. I don't have any issues about the security alerts (not something I worry about, but something others do care about). To me, I think the new posts to the wiki isn't useful, as when I use the wiki, I don't care about the age of the information, just that the information is useful and applicable (having old information that doesn't apply anymore is not useful).

4. The overall design of the page feels to be geared for new people to Gentoo while making it harder for people that already is use to Gentoo.

Agree 100%
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrestfunk81 wrote:
These discussions always remind me of this comic.
Comparing three unrelated interfaces? A physical scroll-wheel, a search function, and a customer register?
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say I like the look of the revamped Gentoo web site. Haven't yet come across any show-stopper but if it's the case I'll report here. Well done, guys.
genoobish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked having all the links/info in one page. less clicks etc. I would read some blog posts just because they were there in my face; sometimes we enjoy stuff that we weren't looking for.

The new site is pretty and slick, but I have to know exactly what I want and then go after it, rarely bumping into something unwarranted and interesting.

I don't mean to say the new site sucks, whoever wrote it did a really good job, but lost a good friend and I"m still in mourning, so I can't really like the new one right now. :roll:
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genoobish wrote:
sometimes we enjoy stuff that we weren't looking for.

Indeed strange that this idea is somehow lost on modern interfaces
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genoobish wrote:
sometimes we enjoy stuff that we weren't looking for.

dmpogo wrote:
Indeed strange that this idea is somehow lost on modern interfaces

++
Don't bubble us.
eflothmeier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good idea:
Move all the documentation to the wiki. Now
things aren't so confusing. Sadly we still have
to keep the old, (unmaintained), documentation website
for those who would become upset.
I personally have downloaded some of the
old vintage documentation. Some day it will
have archealogical value. :)

Erich
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more that the new sites are designed for mobiles, than that anyone is getting upset for no reason.

As such, one might expect that they'd deliver content according to the user's screen, and could easily have used the new layout etc only for mobiles, at least at first.
That way others could test the new site with a ?site=new trailer, until such time as everything had been worked out for the new setup.

Though that wouldn't save anyone from the incredibly kludgey js that has infected every site but forums.

I'm all for progress, but regression isn't much good to anyone. And from web-development days, that js is regressive, in my professional opinion.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
I'm all for progress, but regression isn't much good to anyone. And from web-development days, that js is regressive, in my professional opinion.

Completely unrelated to Gentoo, I have about the same, sharp opinion about web development these days. I remember the times I was developing a complete web site from scratch, looking up for and digging best practices, visibility and usability recommendations... Since the advent of tablets, looks like these recommendations, especially about surfing full-screen have mostly evolved^W been forgotten. There are many ways to adapt a web page to the display it runs on and it dates back to CSS2 but the newer sites we see forces full-screen browsing while it was *not* a requirement years ago. Just as though every screen on the planet was ten inches wide... This is only one (bad) side of what I see now. And of course, there will be ones to consider browsing full screen is progress.

Now Gentoo web site lies somewhere in the middle, not absolutely perfect but certainly no crap at all (far from that to me), which to me is a good thing. I think the guys behind have made a good compromise.
genoobish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous post stated I was fine but a bit annoyed (probably along those lines, I didn't re-read it though). But I take it all back. I think someone should be shot in the balls for not placing the gentoo installation handbook on the documentation section or somewhere obvious.. not "getting started". That was obviously the last place I looked at after minutes of frustration. Maybe I'm stupid, then the site is not stupid friendly anymore.

Edit: My bad, I just saw the blue banner for the handbook. I guess my eyes are trained to skip anything that looks like an ad.

Last edited by genoobish on Sat May 09, 2015 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a month of getting used to the new look, I think my biggest gripe is no link to bugzilla on the front page.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
Well, after a month of getting used to the new look, I think my biggest gripe is no link to bugzilla on the front page.

Isn't it in the upper right 'gentoo sites' menu, as this forum is ?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I rarely look at the gentoo sites menu in the upper corner.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing links, links hidden in odd menus under unexpected classifications, links that look like ads, news that's hard to find.

Sometimes I have to use a search engine to find what I need for some topics that ought to be linked to from the main site. That has long been necessary here in the forums, but now it affects the main site.

The Gentoo main page used to be useful, but now that it has gone to become the playground of those who want to make it "pretty", I hardly bother with it any more. The takeover reminds me of a certain camp of developers who made a new init system and want to force it on everybody.

This is a huge shame and makes it harder to stay informed.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
Honestly, I rarely look at the gentoo sites menu in the upper corner.

Neither do (did) I, but that is an idea of modern interfaces - menus are back in vogue
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is the Gentoo web site dead now, or what? It looks like it hasn't been updated in almost two months. There used to be all kinds of interesting stuff posted on it, and it's kind of eerie how quiet it is now.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about adding a feed of latest (confirmed?) bugs? One reason for visiting the Gentoo pages is to resolve some foul-up after an emerge --update, and sometimes there's a relevant bug report. (It may even have a bypass!)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
The Gentoo main page used to be useful, but now that it has gone to become the playground of those who want to make it "pretty", I hardly bother with it any more. The takeover reminds me of a certain camp of developers who made a new init system and want to force it on everybody.

This is a huge shame and makes it harder to stay informed.

You must be a "hater", so we don't have to listen to you. ;-)
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippery Jim wrote:
So, is the Gentoo web site dead now, or what? It looks like it hasn't been updated in almost two months. There used to be all kinds of interesting stuff posted on it, and it's kind of eerie how quiet it is now.

Another month gone by ... just sayin'

But I will grant you that the sections for links to blogs, security advisories, new packages, and new documentation (on the wiki), all seem to be updating and fresh. I don't know how to make the suggestion but it might be a nice enhancement to somehow put dates next to the entries.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: