View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is refreshing to see a new design, I am not sure I really like it as much. Listed below is my thoughts of the new design on the page.

1. I have no reference of time frame for the blog posts. I like on reading the blog posts, but the new design doesn't give me any time frame of when it was added. I don't know if one was just added yesterday, last month or last year without going to that person's blog.

2. You have to hunt for the links to the parts you want. On the old site, you had a navigation bar on the left for a easy link to the online package list, to irc info and to the forums. Now you have to scroll around and hunt to get to those pages.

3. I don't have any issues about the security alerts (not something I worry about, but something others do care about). To me, I think the new posts to the wiki isn't useful, as when I use the wiki, I don't care about the age of the information, just that the information is useful and applicable (having old information that doesn't apply anymore is not useful).

4. The overall design of the page feels to be geared for new people to Gentoo while making it harder for people that already is use to Gentoo.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So while until today, this was about the April fools version of the site (for those who missed it, the main page looked like this, this, and this, and even this). I guess it wouldn't be too far off in discussing about the actual revamp here from now on, though there is this thread for the “don't like it” as well: new website design, cool, but it sucks

Though I might not be a fan of this modern look and style, I guess it's still well done, and that's always good! It's also not too cool when things require JavaScript, and/or don't work too well with text-mode browsers, but I guess that's just how it is to be in this age and day.

Aside from the above, I don't think I can really complain... I don't actually use the site too much. ^^;
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly used the Gentoo Home page as a easy spot to get to where I really want to go (primarily the forums, and sometimes the online package database). While it's nice on reading the dev blogs that is posted on the home page, it's not something I can't live without (no point looking if the page doesn't give me a reference on how old it is). Eventually I'll get around to just linking directly to gentoo's forums and not both going to the home page any more.
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the frontpage after April 1st:

Dislike:

• That fat "emerge your world" banner at the top of the page. The Gentoo logo further up and the color scheme is setting a "Gentoo" mood well enough, isn't it?

Like:

• The small icons for the download, donate, get started buttons.
  • The top menu bar navigation & bottom quick link list is better than the old sidebar was, as far as I'm concerned.
  • The dashboard-style presentation of the aggregated information on the frontpage is nice and useful.

Suggestions:

• The documentation, wiki, forums, mailing lists and bug tracker should be directly linked in the top menu bar or something equally immediately clickable, as far as I'm concerned - those are presumably what existing users want. Some are linked at the bottom of the page, but that's annoying.
  • The Wiki and GLSA index pages also should probably be linked in the same fashion as Planet Gentoo and the Package database are (currently to the right of the title).
  • Some nice graphs (inspiration!) generated from bug tracker / wiki / downloads data mining would certainly make the dashboard look nicer... but that's a pretty big suggestion, I guess.

Last edited by Rad on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I come with my bucket of icewater. I don't especially like the redesign.

The old site achieved one kind of balance that a lot of other sites did not--especially the upstream sites for many packages: explanations and pointers for new users as compared to navigation aids and news items for habitual users. Some sites are really heavy with news items but don't give much clue as to what the product does or even what the site is about. Those sites are optimized for the regulars.

Nowadays, the makeover trend runs too far in the other direction. The precious first window-full of sites gets taken up by some useless graphic that has to be scrolled past. Navigation is often harder; it often requires more clicks to reach the desired content. Sometimes the navigation becomes harder because of a change in presentation. The W3C site, for example, seems to require more and more clicks over one year to the next to take me to the standards documents.

A really striking thing about the trend nowadays in websites is to adapt the same look: huge banner at the top, very airy text that doesn't tell much, lots of scrolling, and then a big grey (or similar color) band at the bottom with site-map information. Everything comes out of a cookie cutter. The funny thing is that this comes from a world, as the Wall Street Journal reported today, where teenagers buying prom dresses can enter into registries so that no two girls at the same dance will look alike.

The thing I appreciated about the old Gentoo site is that it hit the sweet spot: a clean design (the W3C site does have that), explanatory text for the new user with multiple pointers near the top of the page of particular use to new users, and a plethora of links and news items. That arrangement is very useful. I was hoping to see it come back after the April Fools fling.

The redesign, I'm afraid, takes usability down a notch. Places that were reachable in a single click now take multiple clicks, or sometimes scrolling and then multiple clicks. I particularly liked the Planet posts right on the main page plus the links to the developers.

Seeing items like the list of GLSA's or recent packages in a known place is a nice idea. If Gentoo users *really* like that feature, maybe it would be possible to make these items visible in a popup window by hovering over or clicking on some element to reveal them. All of this would be to preserve the long list of items that made the older more helpful.

The advertisers might not appreciate being kicked to the bottom of the page--even more so if the long list of items comes back.

I do thank the redesigners for refraining from another outrage that is currently in fashion: fixed elements at the top or bottom of the browser window that won't scroll away. Damn, I hate those things.

Gentoo is different. It's site does not have to look like all the other sites.
Maffblaster
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: The old site still lives; no reason to complain! Reply with quote

All the people who still want the old site have no reason to complain. You have access to it!

https://wwwold.gentoo.org/

As for me; I really like the new looks. Good job, a3li!
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The old site still lives; no reason to complain! Reply with quote

Maffblaster wrote:
All the people who still want the old site have no reason to complain. You have access to it!

Uh, that's not quite true. This is the text which surrounds that link:
Quote:
Until all contents are migrated, you can find the previous version on wwwold.gentoo.org, please note that the contents found there are not maintained any longer.

"Until all contents are migrated" implies that the page will not be around forever. "[N]ot maintained any longer" indicates the content will soon grow stale. In this industry, you need to pay attention to the details.
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
While it is refreshing to see a new design, I am not sure I really like it as much. Listed below is my thoughts of the new design on the page.

1. I have no reference of time frame for the blog posts. I like on reading the blog posts, but the new design doesn't give me any time frame of when it was added. I don't know if one was just added yesterday, last month or last year without going to that person's blog.

I can add a tooltip that lists the post date. Adding it in text is something I'd avoid as the idea of the front page is to be clear, not have lots of text, but links for you to explore if you're interested in a topic.

Quote:
2. You have to hunt for the links to the parts you want. On the old site, you had a navigation bar on the left for a easy link to the online package list, to irc info and to the forums. Now you have to scroll around and hunt to get to those pages.

That navigation bar is blessing and curse at the same time. If you know what you are looking for, yes, it is your one-stop shop, but if you don't know what to expect, you spend half a minute scanning the contents, filtering the dupes, etc.
I've talked to someone on IRC earlier who is interested in such a sitemap. If we can get to a version that has a good balance between completeness and potential confusion, we might have ourselves a new site feature.

Quote:
3. I don't have any issues about the security alerts (not something I worry about, but something others do care about). To me, I think the new posts to the wiki isn't useful, as when I use the wiki, I don't care about the age of the information, just that the information is useful and applicable (having old information that doesn't apply anymore is not useful).

What would be useful in that space for you?

Quote:
4. The overall design of the page feels to be geared for new people to Gentoo while making it harder for people that already is use to Gentoo.

The design you're accustomed to had a head start of ~10 years, give it some time. :)
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rad wrote:
My thoughts on the frontpage after April 1st:

Dislike:

• That fat "emerge your world" banner at the top of the page. The Gentoo logo further up and the color scheme is setting a "Gentoo" mood well enough, isn't it?

I think that's quite a matter of taste. I've had people tell me they like it as well. What exactly is your problem with it? Colors? Space? Information/lack of information in there?

Quote:
Suggestions:
* The documentation, wiki, forums, mailing lists and bug tracker should be directly linked in the top menu bar or something equally immediately clickable, as far as I'm concerned - those are presumably what existing users want. Some are linked at the bottom of the page, but that's annoying.

Most of the things you list are in the menu in the top-right corner.
Maybe the Sitemap I mentioned in the post above fixes that for you as well.

Quote:
* The Wiki and GLSA index pages also should probably be linked in the same fashion as Planet Gentoo and the Package database are (currently to the right of the title).

I'll try flipping the Planet box, that should restore order.

Quote:
[*]Some nice graphs (inspiration!) generated from bug tracker / wiki / downloads data mining would certainly make the dashboard look nicer... but that's a pretty big suggestion, I guess.

Big, and was already on my Ideas list. ;)
totony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick comment, I really like the new download page with the links.

Really eases the downloading/finding files

Last edited by totony on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maffblaster
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The old site still lives, at least for a while... Reply with quote

miket wrote:

Quote:
Until all contents are migrated, you can find the previous version on wwwold.gentoo.org, please note that the contents found there are not maintained any longer.

"Until all contents are migrated" implies that the page will not be around forever. "[N]ot maintained any longer" indicates the content will soon grow stale. In this industry, you need to pay attention to the details.

It's at least true for a while! :)

I too like the idea of the graphs, although I'm not sure exactly how the information contained in them would be useful at a glance.
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:

I'm confused. First scrolling is a bad thing, then you'd prefer to have long lists of things back.
I also don't get how having a year's worth of planet posts on the *front page* is better than having the 5 most recent ones.

Your post has a conservative flair to it, yet you ask for popups. I'm really confused.
At any rate, your nagivation issues should be helped by the Sitemap now referred to multiple times, but I'm not bringing back screenfuls of links or contents on the frontpage.
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I guess it wouldn't be too far off in discussing about the actual revamp here from now on, though there is this thread for the “don't like it” as well: new website design, cool, but it sucks

That's rather a "I'm against everything and you suck" thread with little to no constructive value—as expected from the posters.

Quote:

Though I might not be a fan of this modern look and style, I guess it's still well done, and that's always good! It's also not too cool when things require JavaScript, and/or don't work too well with text-mode browsers, but I guess that's just how it is to be in this age and day.

The thing with 'does it work in CLI' is that there is no correct answer. Back in 2012 when I conducted the website survey, I had just as many people telling me the (now old) gentoo site sucks in links as I had telling me it works nicely.
Same thing with the current version, there is no right or wrong.
JS won't be giving you any issues on text mode browsers, everything is plain old HTML markup, no AJAX loading and whatnot.
Sure, there's a few dropdowns here and there that use JS, I'd love for the framework to offer another way; I'm doing my best to work around, but lacking actual code contributions (no, verbal abuse does not count as that) from people affected by that, this is what we'll need to live with.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
miket wrote:

I'm confused. First scrolling is a bad thing, then you'd prefer to have long lists of things back.
I also don't get how having a year's worth of planet posts on the *front page* is better than having the 5 most recent ones.

There is a distinction to make here. One is the summary of blog posts: those entries went back only a few months, not a whole year. The long list, the one which would need scrolling if you want to find an older item, is of news items, not of every blog post as found on planet.g.o. Here is my point about scrolling: scroll if you need to find those older items, otherwise find the really hot items at the precious first screenful. In other words, scroll if you need something less common; leave the high-traffic links at the top.

The page top on the old site puts the first news item 205 pixels down from the top of the screen. The redesign takes almost 90% more space at the top--mostly for an image that adds glitz but takes more room. I can go months at a time without ever opening up any GUI window full screen--I like to be able to see more windows. On my setup, that 386 pixels the redesign takes is more than half of my browser viewport.

I think that one motivation for the redesign is to go after a wider audience. To be sure, I think the project to make small runnable images ("Gentoo Disk") could be a promising one, though I must say that bootable images on removable rotating media--especially floppy disks--are a bit passé. Making the site more like the marketing sites that Fedora or Ubuntu have does nothing to get past the fact that if you want to be a Gentoo user, you can't expect the Ubuntu experience.

Others have commented on the phrase "emerge your world". The funny thing about that is while Gentoo users would get the pun, the target audience of the phrase would be nothing but mystified by it.

a3li wrote:
Your post has a conservative flair to it, yet you ask for popups. I'm really confused.
At any rate, your nagivation issues should be helped by the Sitemap now referred to multiple times, but I'm not bringing back screenfuls of links or contents on the frontpage.

I was casting around for ways to make high-value information visible at the top. I'm not a big fan of Javascript, though it is my sad fate to work with it a lot. The thing is that there are certain elements that would need to be relatively close to the top of the page and the thing is to make it so that the user does not have to scroll too far down.

Somewhere in these comments you made mention of the discoverability of items in this new system. I don't know how in the the world you can say that this new design avoids hunting and clicking and having to back up to find what you want. Really common operations are a good bit harder to find. Actually, I recall the April Fool's page as having easier navigation than the current page: submenus would appear when hovering. (I didn't notice whether this was by CSS or Javascript.)

Have you ever done research to find how users use the site? At my job I process Apache log files for information we want to extract; I wrote various PHP and AWK scripts and a C program to do the work. We get around 15 million Apache-log entries a week. The Gentoo situation is a bit different: links from the Gentoo home page link to various Gentoo sites, a fact which would make it necessary to gather the logs from multiple hosts. I believe there are various packages available to process these logs to get an idea of what pages are popular and an idea of the type of user by aggregating the set of pages visited per IP address. (Piwik, for example, has a module for processing log files, but I've never tried using it.) Research like that might be very enlightening.

In any event, I can tell you about this user. The navigation elements at the top of the page of the old Gentoo site were a dream; this new setup is a big pain. I wish I knew why you are so dead-set against having those links where they are easily found.

I consistently prefer functionality over appearance. I bought a Subaru Forester last weekend: I love the functionality but the fact that some people say it looks clunky just doesn't enter into it for me. If you can make something look nice but still be functional, that's fine. If you can't do that, then leave it alone.

You made reference to code contributions. That's a very interesting thing: where might this code repository be? A point of curiosity for me is how you maintain (or plan to maintain) the content. The idea of something that processes multiple sources (texts of news items, GLSA summaries, etc) and spits out a web page is quite the way to do it. That's one thing I find very attractive about XSL transforms (as in GuideML), but I don't know what is involved here.

A good content-management framework would be able to generate output pages in varying formats.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
That's rather a "I'm against everything and you suck" thread with little to no constructive value—as expected from the posters.

I don't want to get into the actual discussion, as I don't really have a strong opinion yet (beyond being a bit fed up of all the js on Gentoo websites recently, which you said isn't an issue here, so I'll take your word for it.) However I don't think personalising the debate, and disparaging a group of users like that is very helpful.

Still I guess it's to be expected from developers.

Not very nice, is it? (No I wasn't being serious; it was purely rhetorical.) Try to maintain a higher standard than you expect from users, please.
a3li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
a3li wrote:
miket wrote:

There is a distinction to make here. One is the summary of blog posts: those entries went back only a few months, not a whole year. The long list, the one which would need scrolling if you want to find an older item, is of news items, not of every blog post as found on planet.g.o. Here is my point about scrolling: scroll if you need to find those older items, otherwise find the really hot items at the precious first screenful. In other words, scroll if you need something less common; leave the high-traffic links at the top.

I don't get it. If you need less common stuff (half-a-year-old planet stuff) you can just as well click the 'planet' link. No need to even show that stuff to people that don't care about it.

Quote:
The page top on the old site puts the first news item 205 pixels down from the top of the screen. The redesign takes almost 90% more space at the top--mostly for an image that adds glitz but takes more room. I can go months at a time without ever opening up any GUI window full screen--I like to be able to see more windows. On my setup, that 386 pixels the redesign takes is more than half of my browser viewport.

Good news, another user wanted to work on a smaller size for the header. Maybe we can redeem some of those pixels. Other than that, if you prefer to see multiple windows, please don't complain to me they are to small. ;)

Quote:
I think that one motivation for the redesign is to go after a wider audience. To be sure, I think the project to make small runnable images ("Gentoo Disk") could be a promising one, though I must say that bootable images on removable rotating media--especially floppy disks--are a bit passé. Making the site more like the marketing sites that Fedora or Ubuntu have does nothing to get past the fact that if you want to be a Gentoo user, you can't expect the Ubuntu experience.

Please consult your calendar on what to expect from the Gentoo Disk stuff. :)

Quote:
Others have commented on the phrase "emerge your world". The funny thing about that is while Gentoo users would get the pun, the target audience of the phrase would be nothing but mystified by it.

They can immediately find out about that joke via 'learn more'.

Quote:

Somewhere in these comments you made mention of the discoverability of items in this new system. I don't know how in the the world you can say that this new design avoids hunting and clicking and having to back up to find what you want. Really common operations are a good bit harder to find. Actually, I recall the April Fool's page as having easier navigation than the current page: submenus would appear when hovering. (I didn't notice whether this was by CSS or Javascript.)

Um, no. It is/was exactly the same.

Quote:
Have you ever done research to find how users use the site? At my job I process Apache log files for information we want to extract; I wrote various PHP and AWK scripts and a C program to do the work. We get around 15 million Apache-log entries a week. The Gentoo situation is a bit different: links from the Gentoo home page link to various Gentoo sites, a fact which would make it necessary to gather the logs from multiple hosts. I believe there are various packages available to process these logs to get an idea of what pages are popular and an idea of the type of user by aggregating the set of pages visited per IP address. (Piwik, for example, has a module for processing log files, but I've never tried using it.) Research like that might be very enlightening.

Sure, we even run Piwik, but without tracking.

Quote:
In any event, I can tell you about this user. The navigation elements at the top of the page of the old Gentoo site were a dream; this new setup is a big pain. I wish I knew why you are so dead-set against having those links where they are easily found.

Simple: They're too many.

Quote:
You made reference to code contributions. That's a very interesting thing: where might this code repository be? A point of curiosity for me is how you maintain (or plan to maintain) the content. The idea of something that processes multiple sources (texts of news items, GLSA summaries, etc) and spits out a web page is quite the way to do it. That's one thing I find very attractive about XSL transforms (as in GuideML), but I don't know what is involved here.

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/sites/www.git/

Quote:
A good content-management framework would be able to generate output pages in varying formats.

Offering different versions is the next last thing I'm going to do after adding your scrolly stuff back, sorry. ;)

For everyone: At any rate, as I never was a fan of discussing on the forums (lacking proper threading and with annoying quoting), I'll be taking more feedback as listed on the frontpage. Thanks for your ideas and criticism so far.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
I guess it wouldn't be too far off in discussing about the actual revamp here from now on, though there is this thread for the “don't like it” as well: new website design, cool, but it sucks

I'm not against everything like you said nor i said you suck, but yeah, the current design sucks bad for me.
And if you had took time to actually read it, you would had seen i have put what i don't like, but also how can it could be improve.
Far from your "no constructive value".

Here's a "dirty" visual representation of what i'm speaking of: thin lower, less colors and no kiddy pic.
http://imgur.com/n5vTTdO

And what i expect from you is taking the suggest from anyone, even the one you don't like (don't worry i'm fine you don't like me).
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

a3li wrote:
Offering different versions is the next last thing I'm going to do after adding your scrolly stuff back, sorry. ;)

Wow, that is just lame, afaic.
Quote:
At any rate, as I never was a fan of discussing on the forums lacking proper threading and with annoying quoting

Yeah, let's stick to mailing-lists.. lmao.
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
I think that's quite a matter of taste. I've had people tell me they like it as well. What exactly is your problem with it? Colors? Space? Information/lack of information in there?

Space / lack of information mainly. It's not really doing anything, not even giving the forgetful with too many tabs a visual cue what site they're on, given the (nicer) logo right above it.

I guess my taste also disagrees with making text into some overlapping blurry slanted hard-to-parse affair even in an image, but I think wouldn't really have mentioned it if it was only that. It's really just primarily that I can't see it as proportionally useful or nice to the amount of precious "top of the page" space that it consumes.
a3li wrote:
Most of the things you list are in the menu in the top-right corner.

True. Well, it's not my ideal case which would be that the most important things (to me) are linked directly at the very top of the page, and the rarely used things further down / behind menus. But I guess it's still just two clicks. I can work with that.

PS: I also just saw that the mobile page's top right corner menu apparently isn't displaying the useful Gentoo sites drop down menu, but the top menu bar.

a3li wrote:
Maybe the Sitemap I mentioned in the post above fixes that for you as well.

Hmm... not sure. Maybe? [So far, I only know I've always liked it best to have the important links on or close to the very top of a page, as stated in the section just before.]

a3li wrote:
I'll try flipping the Planet box, that should restore order.

It did. Looks nice now!

a3li wrote:
Big, and was already on my Ideas list. ;)

Cool. Well, obviously big is big, and I do understand that fancy graphs can cause trouble with browsers on the client side and the servers being data mined on the other side, with bonus security and DoS vulnerability and other concerns added in - but I'll dare hope anyways! ;)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a3li,

Thanks for the comments. =]

miket wrote:
A really striking thing about the trend nowadays in websites is to adapt the same look: huge banner at the top, very airy text that doesn't tell much, lots of scrolling, and then a big grey (or similar color) band at the bottom with site-map information. Everything comes out of a cookie cutter.

Yeah. One of my friends might be on the verge of un-friending me because of me complaining about this 'style' that is running amok!

I guess it's good for the mobiles, and since mobile is becoming... nay, is already the thing, it's what everyone will serve to... or so I maybe guess. I could be very wrong, but that's what it seems to me, and I certainly have no strength to fight back! Not that I really need to... I'll just do my best to cope.

miket wrote:
I do thank the redesigners for refraining from another outrage that is currently in fashion: fixed elements at the top or bottom of the browser window that won't scroll away. Damn, I hate those things.

Yes! Sooo many thanks for that.

Those... things... they make me run away from sites very fast-like, and not want to return!
F_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The old site still lives; no reason to complain! Reply with quote

miket wrote:
Maffblaster wrote:

Quote:

Absolutely this. I really like the new site.

While I'm sure there are even many things the developers themselves were unhappy with regarding the website, this update is a step in the right direction. And I'm sure more improvements will be made as time passes by.
forrestfunk81
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the redesign.

A landing page has to be clean, with few information. Subpages are for further information. Do not confuse the first time visitor. If everybody gets his/her favorite link on the landing page, the result is an overloaded and confusing page like the old one.

These discussions always remind me of this comic.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petty bickering such as this is the reason why eventually FOSS will fail and corporations will waltz in and enforce their policies. Not "will", but "are". Divide et impera.

Meanwhile, I'll steal from Poul Henning Kamp this little gem regarding your public airing of your dirty laundry of disliking of each other:

Quote:

Your email is about to be sent to several hundred thousand
people, who will have to spend at least 10 seconds reading
it before they can decide if it is interesting. At least
two man-weeks will be spent reading your email. Many of
the recipients will have to pay to download your email.

Are you absolutely sure that your email is of sufficient
importance to bother all these people ?

(YES) (REVISE) (CANCEL)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree - thankfully FOSS is not developed in forums.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrueXYZ wrote:
Meanwhile, I'll steal from Poul Henning Kamp this little gem regarding your public airing of your dirty laundry of disliking of each other:

Quote:

Your email is about to be sent to several hundred thousand
people, who will have to spend at least 10 seconds reading
it before they can decide if it is interesting. At least
two man-weeks will be spent reading your email. Many of
the recipients will have to pay to download your email.

Are you absolutely sure that your email is of sufficient
importance to bother all these people ?

(YES) (REVISE) (CANCEL)

That's old quote no? Because today you can send it to all these people and they will not care that much, as they are now used to handle any content fast ; sure we still have some guys that answer to M.Obama email telling him he win the lottery and just need to provide his account number and password to get the reward, but i don't think this kind of guys browse our forum :)
ps: personally i enjoy more the "Hi, i'm M. X the rit hand of M. Z President of some African countries and M. Z nid to sende out of is county millions dollars, and which transfort the mony to yor account"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: