KDE desktop with multi-screen support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taozhijiang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: KDE desktop with multi-screen support Reply with quote

Hi, My work and study computer is a tiny notebook, with 12 inch display.
I now new bought a 22 inch BenQ moniter, but I can not figure out how to use ONLY BenQ Monitor with my notebook moniter closed.
Is there any manual to help me configure this purpose??

Thanks in advance.

:oops: :oops:
arcane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you could do this with xrandr. For example: (first you could type just xrandr, so you see how your screens are named)...
Code:
xrandr --output BenQ --pos 0x0 --output Notebook --off

then your Notebook monitor would be turned off, while you can use the BenQ monitor.
Klayman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a recent KDE4 then

Code:
# emerge kscreen

This will allow advanced screen management in your system-settings. Whenever you plug in a screen it will do the following:
- if it is a new screen then will try to some sane default
- it it is a previously attached screen (I think it uses EDID to identify screens) it will restore the last setting for that screen.

So after installing kscreen just plug in your external monitor and let it recognize it. Then go to system-settings->Display an Monitor->Discplay configuration and disable the laptop screen.

After this whenever you plug in your external monitor it will pull up the saved settings and turn your laptop screen off and set the external one as the main. Unplug and it shall restore the laptop screen.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klayman wrote:

Code:
# emerge kscreen

This will allow advanced screen management in your system-settings. Whenever you plug in a screen it will do the following:
- it it is a previously attached screen (I think it uses EDID to identify screens) it will restore the last setting for that screen.

So after installing kscreen just plug in your external monitor and let it recognize it. Then go to system-settings->Display an Monitor->Discplay configuration and disable the laptop screen.

After this whenever you plug in your external monitor it will pull up the saved settings and turn your laptop screen off and set the external one as the main. Unplug and it shall restore the laptop screen.
I can confirm that kscreen works very well. At work my laptop is only secondary monitor and a 24'' benq is the primary one. kscreen switches nicely when I plug in the monitor or plug it out.
taozhijiang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Klayman wrote:

Code:
# emerge kscreen

I can confirm that kscreen works very well. At work my laptop is only secondary monitor and a 24'' benq is the primary one. kscreen switches nicely when I plug in the monitor or plug it out.

It doesnot work for me, with DELL Latitude 3330.
I use xrandr & lxrandr instead.

Thanks anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: