Hardening, upgrading kernel, and more
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SxN
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Hardening, upgrading kernel, and more Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a working Gentoo 3.10.25, which I installed at the time as a desktop profile. It served me well, and it would continue so, except that I'm now a student, learning IT security, and the subject is SELinux.

So, it is time to harden the kernel. But, if I'm already there, ideally I would upgrade the kernel too.

I checked the net, found several tutorials, but got nowhere. At one point, in order to harden, I had to emerge gcc in the hardened profile, but then, it failed because "SELinux module not found". When trying to emerge SELinux, I found two policies, one is selinux-nx, one selinux-wm. What are these?

In trying to find the answer online, I stumbled over this site: http://www.calculate-linux.org/packages/sec-policy. Are these policies for certain software modules/applications?

So, bottom line, can I do an upgrade of my kernel with a hardened version? I downloaded stage3-amd64-hardened-20150319.tar.bz2, but how do I take advantage of it?

Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks,
SxN

Last edited by SxN on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
N8Fear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you throw quite a bunch og things together here. I would propose you do your hardening in the following order:
1. switch to hardened NON-selinux profile, rebuild gcc, your lib c (I presume glibc) and binutils and world afterwards (likely it would be enough to rebuild @system and rebuild @world after switching to SELinux enabled profile - this may lead to some packages less to rebuild at the cost of a likely unusable desktop during the process).
2. Update kernel (possibly switching to hardened sources and PaX&grsecurity - though this is NOT required).
3. Switch your system to SELinux following this guide: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SELinux/Installation

If you try to mix these steps you're likely going to experience all kinds of breakage an pain ;-)
Option 2 would be to switch to SELinux on a non-hardened profile and possibly switch to a hardened SELinux profile afterwards. In any way you should finish switching to hardened before switching to SELinux or vice versa.
SxN
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try to follow these steps, thank you!

SxN
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: