BioShock Infinite on Steam
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: BioShock Infinite on Steam Reply with quote

Hi,

this game's port (it runs on "native" eON) is of very high quality !

No crashes after approx. 1.5 hours of initial gaming

it's very fluid - re-quote from my Phoronix' post:

Quote:
It's impressive how fluid the game runs on "Very high" quality

won't try out Ultra since that also lead to significant frame drops on a regular basis on Windows

There's some weird hangs upon loading a new area - which seems to be specific to this port,

some texture flashing (e.g. the balloons of buildings - some constant - some only once) and very few just black textures/errors (e.g. on bushes, observed just once so far)

The occasional dip in frame rate also occurred on Windows if I can still recall correctly

so it's not at eON's fault and might be a thing of this game (afaik it happened both with nVidia and AMD/ATI cards) but not really that severe

Nevertheless it runs throughout smoothly and very fluid (GTX760 Phantom, 1920x1080, very high)

Awesome port !

Steam is running via

Code:
STEAM_RUNTIME=1 steam

Clearly the Steam Wikia entry needs an update :wink:

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

edit:

if that approach doesn't work - run steam via

Code:
STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

some libSDL2.0_* libraries are missing when going that route so I had to copy them over from the ubuntu32 steam folder to /usr/lib32:

~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu

Quote:
ls -l /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 26 Jul 1 2014 /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_image-2.0.so.0 -> libSDL2_image-2.0.so.0.0.0
-rw-r----- 1 user user 87552 Jul 1 2014 /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_image-2.0.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 26 Jul 1 2014 /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0 -> libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0.0.0
-rw-r----- 1 user user 167944 Jul 1 2014 /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 24 Jul 1 2014 /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_net-2.0.so.0 -> libSDL2_net-2.0.so.0.0.0
-rw-r----- 1 user user 17816 Jul 1 2014 /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_net-2.0.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 25 Jul 1 2014 /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_ttf-2.0.so.0 -> libSDL2_ttf-2.0.so.0.10.2
-rw-r----- 1 user user 26028 Jul 1 2014 /home/user/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_ttf-2.0.so.0.10.2

Code:
cd /usr/lib32/

Code:
cp /home/user/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSDL2_* .

Code:
su - && chmod +r /usr/lib32/libSDL2_*

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D

Last edited by kernelOfTruth on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12 on special with a couple of additional episodes. I've played BS2 on Windoze, and jumped at the chance to play this game in linux. Bought it and it's downloading now.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bammbamm808:

I believe that you won't regret that investment :)

It's really impressive - how well that port works !

No sound stuttering issue or other glitches - at all, no crashes

and that's after going through 3 stages already

The graphics are simply gorgeous - oftentimes when looking around

I get the impression that visuals are even more beautiful than under Windows

weird :roll:

rant:

What baffles me is that e.g. Metro Last Light Redux

still suffers from that stupid sound underrun (?) bug where sound wouldn't work

and video playback is slowed down.

So that game (Metro: LL Redux) is STILL only playable with an additional/different soundcard - other than Intel HDA

I'll take a proper working eON port ANYTIME over a port which works great otherwise but has a crappy sound implementation

/rant end

Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you copy out of the steam folder?

Quote:
STEAM_RUNTIME=1

forces games to use the steam runtime and stops pollution of your system
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Naib:

It didn't work too well upon several attempts to get steam running,

but I could give it another try.

Right now it launched successfully

I'll take a look later how BioShock Infinite works with that approach :)

Thanks

kon14
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bioshock Infinite is indeed one of both the most impressive ports and the most visually stunning games for linux.
The fact it's an eon wrapper game should add a bit of salt to the people critisizing vp for developing a wrapper and letting lazy "native" opengl ports slip by the hatred.

The game is supposed to run butter smoothly on nvidia (performance is justifiably still worse than on windows) and is one of the first games to run nicely on catalyst as well.
It's a shame I had just removed the fglrx part of my mesa-fglrx hprofile switch and upgraded the system, I made a quick manjaro installation on a different hard drive so as not to rebuild fglrx.

I only noticed a visual bug once so far (or perhaps it might have been twice, but I'm not sure whether the other one was a bug or not) while on one of the ships. Elizabeth's skin would react a bit weirdly to the lightning effects.

There's also input lag when using a mouse (also noticeable in tw2, especially in the menu). I generally don't like controllers for shooters so I held on to my mouse. The game is not that difficult when it comes to shooting so even though there's a significant amount of input lag, the game is still playable.

I think the VP guys deserve some apologies for their work. There are new games that are worth porting natively and old ones that are generally not worth for many reasons (example: games that half linux users have already bought and used to dual-boot so as to play them. steamplay is another factor). tw2 shouldn't have been released at the time, not even as a beta. Knowing the toxicity of foss communities towards certain things vp should have known better than releasing an unoptimized wrapper game than doesn't work on half gpus. eon has come a long way since witcher2 though and they even backported some of the improvements to tw2 which is now perfectly playable on radeonsi. Bioshock Infinite is one of the best if not the best ports/games for linux so far.

Waiting for opengl 4.2 in mesa :D
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BioShock Infinite on Steam Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Steam is running via

Code:
STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

Just don't do that, unless you are looking for trouble. People still seem to recommend doing that, but it doesn't really improve anything.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BioShock Infinite on Steam Reply with quote

hasufell wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
Steam is running via

Code:
STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

Just don't do that, unless you are looking for trouble. People still seem to recommend doing that, but it doesn't really improve anything.

ok, changed the steps,

now recommending STEAM_RUNTIME=1, if that doesn't work STEAM_RUNTIME=0

BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that the port is high quality... Runs fine on my laptop (Intel i7-4710HQ + Nvidia 970M) - when using Gentoo - stable for hours of play... But I don't know if it's just me but it does seem to stutter a lot :-( I've dual Samsung 850 Pro's and 32Gb of RAM on this "beast" - so that shouldn't be a thing. I'll have to test it under Windows 8.1 to see if the issue is present there as well.

I suppose that the eON wrapper is better than the alternative - since Wine doesn't have enough of the DirectX11 code path implemented yet to support the game. But I'd much rather see ports that are quality - like Valve games / Borderlands.
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
stqn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobWya wrote:
But I don't know if it's just me but it does seem to stutter a lot

Make sure vsync is enabled, and try this command line option: -ReadTexturePoolFromIni
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stqn wrote:
BobWya wrote:
But I don't know if it's just me but it does seem to stutter a lot

Make sure vsync is enabled, and try this command line option: -ReadTexturePoolFromIni

I presume you mean -ReadTexturePoolFromIni as a Steam Launch option??

Thanks
Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
stqn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobWya wrote:

In Steam, right click on the game in your library, select "properties", then "define launch options" or similar (my Steam is in French).
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stqn wrote:
BobWya wrote:

In Steam, right click on the game in your library, select "properties", then "define launch options" or similar (my Steam is in French).

Yeah, that did seem to make things more "fluid". Then Elizabeth came on the scene and everything went a bit "hurky-jerky" again. I'll have to check my load averages I guess (to check for thermal throttling - it is a laptop after all). Obviously I'll need to play it a bit more under Gentoo (to make sure it gets counted under the Linux stats) before I test frame smoothness under Windows 8.1...

Thanks for the tip!

Bob
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: