View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: nice, but some small problems Reply with quote

i used to use kde and gnome before and now i just tried out xfce4. i really like it but i have some small problems with single applications. for example evolution doesn't start, it hangs at the splash-screen. is evolutiion gnome-only or is there any way to get it working?
asv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: nice, but some small problems Reply with quote

Holly wrote:
i used to use kde and gnome before and now i just tried out xfce4. i really like it but i have some small problems with single applications. for example evolution doesn't start, it hangs at the splash-screen. is evolutiion gnome-only or is there any way to get it working?

Evolution should work fine, try remerging it.
vitaly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Who to run application on specified workspace in XFCE4? Reply with quote

How can I launch application on specified workspace?

E.g. I have mutt and mozilla shortcuts on XFCE panel.
Can I define what mutt always started on WS2, and mozilla
on WS3?

Where?
brackenhill_mob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: What can I unmerge? Reply with quote

Now that this thread has made me a convert from Gnome, what can I safely unmerge to get rid of most of Gnome?

I still run Evolution, gnome-pilot etc.

Is portage bright enough to figure these dependencies out if I just emerge unmerge gnome?
asv
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I unmerge? Reply with quote

Philip de Lisle wrote:
Now that this thread has made me a convert from Gnome, what can I safely unmerge to get rid of most of Gnome?

I still run Evolution, gnome-pilot etc.

Is portage bright enough to figure these dependencies out if I just emerge unmerge gnome?

I think it should work out just fine, worse case scenario you just have to re-emerge evolution.
altorus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist: Gnome 2.0 series is still horrid because of the scattered code base. I know kde doesn't do it for everyone but 12 or so core tarballs is better than the 50 or so that inhabit gnome.

I'm amazed gnome is a solid good desktop with such a scattered base, but it is ok. I'd like to see it when it gets integrated down to a few source balls if thats on the gnome agenda.

XFCE4 tho, is the bomb. And for the record, its the only desktop environ on my laptop now, have fully merged from kde/gnome.

It really is the window manager for people that still like to use a console, with the eye candy on max :)
AstralStorm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivial questions Reply with quote

Quote:
If you use xfrpint, you just have to put in the CUPS name for the printer, the xfprint will automtically add the lp for you (almost too simple isn't it?)

Greetings.

I have a somewhat related problem - setting alias name to my CUPS alias doesn't work.
( DJ690 - that's what's in /etc/printcap)
I get this error message when I try to print from terminal using xfprint4 foo.txt:
lp: unable to print file: client-error-not-found

The printer does work, as does
cat foo.txt | lp -d DJ690

Mozilla prints fine too.

Does anybody know what causes this error?
Zephaniah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Who to run application on specified workspace in XFCE4? Reply with quote

vitaly wrote:

Not directly through XFce. However, a tool called devilspie can do this quite nicely, and it's in portage (masked). I use it to keep XMMS off the taskbar, but you can use it to keep applications on a certain workspace also.
Gibberx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul138 wrote:
You know what's funny?

The biggest reason I've been using XFCE4 is that I can swicth desktops with my mouse wheel and have GTK2 themes at the same time :P
8O I've got to try this then!
Jimboberella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who to run application on specified workspace in XFCE4? Reply with quote

vitaly wrote:

E.g. I have mutt and mozilla shortcuts on XFCE panel.
Can I define what mutt always started on WS2, and mozilla
on WS3?

Where?

You could try the xfce4 session manager. It's alpha code and masked in portage but it is supposed to restart apps and remember settings like that between xfce4 sessions.
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried everything.. *box, xfce, gnome and kde.. I keep coming back to kde. only thing that I miss from xfce is ability to have a border of desktop around your maximized window. In XFCE you can configure it to a desired value (like 7mm border around the maximized desktop) is there a way to do the same in KDE ?
mallchin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: nice, but some small problems Reply with quote

Holly wrote:

evolution-1.4 works for me
foosh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.0.3 anyone?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=300548#300548
dna42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsahoo wrote:
[...] I keep coming back to kde. only thing that I miss from xfce is ability to have a border of desktop around your maximized window. In XFCE you can configure it to a desired value (like 7mm border around the maximized desktop) is there a way to do the same in KDE ?

i once wondered the same thing. heres the dirty hacked-together-in-5-min solution i came up with...

Code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/Xutil.h>
#include <X11/Xatom.h>

#define LEFT 30
#define RIGHT 30
#define TOP 30
#define BOTTOM 30

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
   Display    *dpy;
   Window      win;
   XEvent      event;
   unsigned long strut[4];
   XWMHints xwmh = { (InputHint|StateHint), False, IconicState, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, };

if ((dpy = XOpenDisplay(NULL)) == NULL) {
      fprintf(stderr, "%s: can't open %s\en", argv[0], XDisplayName(NULL));
      exit(1);
   }

win = XCreateSimpleWindow(dpy, DefaultRootWindow(dpy),
         0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0);

XSetWMHints(dpy, win, &xwmh);
   XMapWindow(dpy, win);

strut[0] = LEFT;
   strut[1] = RIGHT;
   strut[2] = TOP;
   strut[3] = BOTTOM;
   XChangeProperty (dpy, win, XInternAtom(dpy, "_NET_WM_STRUT", False), XA_CARDINAL, 32, PropModeReplace, (unsigned char *) strut, 4);

while (1) {
      XNextEvent(dpy, &event);
   }
}

to compile
Code:

gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -o simple_strut simple_strut.c

i'm fully aware, that this is not the most elegant solution to the problem, but it surely is the easiest ;)
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been earing a lot of good things about xfce without knowing exactly knowing what it was. I assumed another fluxbox look-alike.

I just browsed thrue the website and it does seem to offer a little more than flux. For one, I realised, using fluxbox, that I do miss a taskbar. I'm not to much of a fan of desklets|docklets|namelets.

I'm going to give it a shot!
Bastux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running on Gnome 2.x since 2 years now, and I discovered XFCE4, I felt happy :D

fast, light, and beautiful, that's the DM of my dreams :)
ixtow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: reluctant to start a thred for fear one already exists Reply with quote

I'm a noob that tried about every WM and decided XFCE4 was for me. But I'm buged by what I can't figure out about it. Why have a desktop if you can't stick things on it? And xffm, just shoot me. The only reason I use it is because I can't figure out how to browse my SMB shares any other way.

I wish I could use the Nautilus desktop and "explorer," but there' no way to set the background (that I can find) in FXCE4. I have to have purple shades if I want to use it. And forget doing anything with my SMB shares.

I'm sure it can all be chalked up to my lack of experience, but there simply are no explainations or information to get me out of this predicament.

If I could have Nautilus the way I want it in XFCE4, I'd have no need for Gnome at all.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
I'm going to give it a shot!
Weeelll, I have mix feelings about it.

I know it's all a matter of personnal taste, but if I compare it to any other WM other than KDE and Gnome, I'd have to say it's the one I liked the most. It seem to combine the best functionnalities of all of them + it has a "real" panel. It's going to be my manager when connecting thrue vnc.

But, I guess my expectations were too high. I'm not ready to trade Gnome for it. At least, not yet. XFce seem to have all the right ingredients to become a great WM.
merdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: xfce4 Reply with quote

I just installed Xfce4 and I was very dissapointed! I will now try something else.....
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was it disappointing?
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

altorus wrote:
Zeitgeist: Gnome 2.0 series is still horrid because of the scattered code base. I know kde doesn't do it for everyone but 12 or so core tarballs is better than the 50 or so that inhabit gnome.

I disagree very strongly. In gnome, I can edit the ebuild to remove features and included packages that I don't need. In KDE, it's extremely difficult to not use one of the large base packages and still retain good functionality.
Plus, you can use a lot of gnome componenets with other WM's. Making huge core tarballs would make emerging just gnome-panel per say extremely difficult.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Xfce not too long ago and I remember it ticking me off a lot. lol That's when I still used GNOME, and now that I use Fluxbox I doubt even more that I'll like it. To each his own, and Xfce is not for me. ;)
merdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How was it disappointing?"

It just didn't taste right for me. I hated the rigid toolbars and I also wanted to personalize my desktop so I could have my launchers on my desktop etc. I also wonder if it could be possible to make it read the .Desktop files in my home catalouge, it might help configure shorcuts automagicly.

Anyway, I will see what the other desktops environments have to offer before I go back to gnome.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: