Portage gui?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GummyGum173
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Portage gui? Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to practise my C++, and have decided to write a portage gui front-end (first using Qt, later maybe GTK aswell), as I've seen no updated, sane-looking front end yet, and I want to include other stuff like gentoolkit (equery and euse integration) as well as overlays and etc.

I wanted to ask 3 things:
1. Is there anything very similar to my project that has been released / is being worked on that I am not aware of? (I'm talking about very recent uploads, like 1 month ago and stuff)
2. May I use a name like portage-qt or portage-gtk or do I have to come up with a name that is different from portage?
3. Where can I get future help on adding my package to the official gentoo repo and how to maintain it etc?

Thanks alot!
lexflex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Maybe it is just me, but I am wondering what it would look like and what extra it would bring.
( apart from the fact that I tend to sync and upgrade from the commandline for convenience anyway, usually from some remote machine).

I.e., the output of emerge is quite complex (with blocks and all), would it just post the same output as text in some nicely decorated window ?
And instead of pressing "y" for yes, there would be a button to go on ?

Ok, search functions could be better, so including EIX-like features can help in some way.

Just wondering what your plan would be :-)

Alex.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GummyGum173,

Have you tried porthole ?

Maybe it would be better to contribute to an existing project than to start your own?
I don't know anything about it, other than it exists.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
GummyGum173
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexflex wrote:
Hi,

Maybe it is just me, but I am wondering what it would look like and what extra it would bring.
( apart from the fact that I tend to sync and upgrade from the commandline for convenience anyway, usually from some remote machine).

I.e., the output of emerge is quite complex (with blocks and all), would it just post the same output as text in some nicely decorated window ?
And instead of pressing "y" for yes, there would be a button to go on ?

Ok, search functions could be better, so including EIX-like features can help in some way.

Just wondering what your plan would be :-)

Alex.

I don't have any sketches or written-down plans yet, as I am not sure whether I should start from scratch or contribute to an existing project (like NeddySeagoon have suggested below).
Any way, I just plan to have a nice interface with a bunch of information arranged nicely (such as, use flags for each package and it's description, files that belong to that package, easy overlay management). Just a simple click&go interface for "noobs".

I plan to wrap it all up in a simple interface where you can:
Set your global USE flags, per-package USE flags, overlays, etc in a special, well arranged option menu.
Then you can search for packages and visit their "page" (which is kind of formatted like the package's page on gentoo's website [I mean this] + some info about the package, it's useflags, files that belong to it, dependencies, etc)
A simple "Install" button that you'd click and it installs the package with the "yes" dialogue ><
View installed packages (+date installed? +from which overlay was it installed?)
Uninstall installed packages
Update packages
Queue automatic updates and syncs (I shall use crontab here, I guess)

In short, that's just going to be a straight-forward portage+gentoolkit+overlays GUI, nothing beyond that, I'm quite a coding noob myself.
NeddySeagoon wrote:
GummyGum173,

Have you tried porthole ?

Maybe it would be better to contribute to an existing project than to start your own?
I don't know anything about it, other than it exists.

I have, in fact, used porthole for a short amount of time when I was very new to Gentoo.
But the interface didn't catch my eye very much and I just found the CLI WAY easier to use (and I hope that doesn't happen with my project too, so I have to plan it very carefully), so I don't think I would contribute to it. Also, it's GTK based and I never really found it's github or sourceforge or whatever page ><

I have recently installed Ubuntu for the first time on one of my devices, and I kind of aim for their implementation of the graphical software-appstore or whatever they call it, which has an easy install interface, a way to add repos, and it also notifies you of updates, and can even auto-install them.
I aim to get a similar experience in my work, just a bit less "noob-friendly" (without reviews, images or whatever. Just plain, easy to use and graphically appealing interfaces with a lot of [toggle-able] info).
That would greatly save me a lot of time, and I hope, if I do release a stand-alone project, will help other people.
When I want to install a new package on my Gentoo system I often use emerge --search, then equery u, equery d, equery m and only then I install the packge.
I wish to have all that done automatically for me and displayed nicely.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GummyGum173,

Whatever scratches your itch.
Good luck with your project.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
emc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Kuroo it was qt based.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, join #gentoo-guis IRC channel. You will find galiven Kuroo's developer, myself for porthole, gentoolkit, layman, portage,...
There are also some others. It is always nice to be able to chat with other guis developers to help things along.
We also have a gentoo-guis mail list (very quiet).

There have been some other portage guis over the years too. kportagetray was a QT/pyQT based app.
emc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO emerge/portage is one of only cli tool, it's easier to control it and use it. But definitely GUI can increase gentoo community, it my be easier for new comers and can cause people can actually stay in community. So, if any GUI reincarnate I will definitely try and test. So, I encourage any dev to start over!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Portage GUIs I know of are: Kuroo, Porthole, Portato and Himerge.

Development of Portato was discontinued a long time ago and it does not work with Portage currently: http://necoro.eu/portato/

I've never used Himerge, but it doesn't look like it has been developed since 2009: http://freecode.com/projects/himerge

I'm not sure about the current state of Porthole, but its last update was in July 2014 so it looks like it's still in development: http://porthole.sourceforge.net/

I used to use Kuroo, which I found quite good (nicely designed UI), and a handy GUI browser for Portage packages. The original Kuroo is unmaintained, according to its Web site http://kuroo.org/ but a fork Kuroo4 seems to still be in development (its last update was in September 2014): http://sourceforge.net/projects/kuroo/

Fitzcarraldo's blog
galiven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Kuroo4 Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo gave a pretty good summary. Porthole is the best maintained GUI, and as far as I can tell portato and Himerge are dead. I keep Kuroo4 limping along in the sourceforge project, trying to make sure it still builds with KDE and QT updates and changes to emerge output. It has a lot of the features you're specifically thinking about:
    search for packages
    package info, use flags, installed files, ebuild view
    install / update / uninstall packages

It used to have a nice dependency view, but newer EAPIs made that really complicated so it doesn't work now. dol-sen has been doing a lot of good work on making an API for portage access that would fix a lot of the problems Kuroo4 has with parsing emerge output and overlay support, but migrating to that is too big a task for me to take on in my free time.

Anyways, I encourage you to take a look at the source code, maybe install it and poke around a bit in the UI too. I'd be happy to answer any questions that I actually know the answer to. And join us in #gentoo-guis for quick responses.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Portage GUI Reply with quote

I have been using Suse and Opensuse for may years. Tried Debian, Fedora, Ubunto. Now user Gentoo on Deskops and OpenSuse on Notebooks. From all of them, I find OpenSuse YAST2 (X) and YAST (Ncurses) the best GUI to install, configure, manage etc. GUI. It takes me about 10 minutes at the keyboard to install and configure OpenSuse including Xfce. OpenOffice, Firewall, etc. on a Notebook.

It would be very nice to rewrite the YAST suite of packages to work with Gentoo. YAST is Open Source written in Ruby.

Install OpenSuse and play with the installer, configuration and management units to get some inspirations.
emc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking into account that gentoo is so different from 'normal' binary distro, I thing the only GUI from YAST can be reuse or what is more true rewrote gentoo GUI to looks similar as YAST ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: