Lightdm fails to start Xfce on login [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjdacre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Lightdm fails to start Xfce on login [Solved] Reply with quote

Gentlepeople,

I have spent literally days trying to figure out what is wrong here. The following is what I think is relevant:

Code:

cat .xsession-errors
/etc/lightdm/Xsession: line 75: /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session startxfce4: No such file or directory

which dbus-launch
/usr/bin/dbus-launch

which startxfce
/usr/bin/startxfce4

As you can see, apparently the Xsession startup script, /etc/lightdm/Xsession, executes a command which cannot be found. Since you can see both commands are there and one of them is referenced with an explicit absolute pathname, it is probably failing to find the startxfce4 command.

But why? /usr/bin/ is in every path that I can find. When I ctrl-alt-f1 to the console and login, kill xdm and run that exact command, it works. Furthermore, I am confident that lightdm successfully logs me in, but fails to find the command for 2 reasons;

(1) I looked at the consolekit history file, /var/log/ConsoleKit/history, and that is what I get from the entries there.
(2) I also put an echo to $HOME with the values of a number of variables just before it runs the failed command, and it appeared in my home directory, not root's.

I have two other computers running lightdm -> xfce. Both log me in and start xfce. Neither have been particularly helpful in solving this issue. For some reason, the desktop, the first one I did and the most manual, appears to start X from /etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession, not the lightdm version. To get this working I created a link from $HOME/Xclients to /etc/X11/Sessions/Xfce4.

The second computer, an older laptop, does appear to start xfce as I would expect. I used an earlier version of my evolving installation scripts for that one.

Anyway, I have spent ages trying to understand how X starts and now my head hurts.

I really hope someone can help me with this one.

Brendan

Last edited by bjdacre on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
bjdacre
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

I decided to re-emerge lightdm to see if this would help. I did this and it generated a new Xsession file. I diffed the new against the old before replacing;

Code:

diff /etc/lightdm/Xsession /etc/lightdm/Xsession.new
74c74
< exec "$command"
---
> exec $command

I was surprised they were different since I hadn't made changes myself since the original emerge. Secondly, looking at the difference, I didn't think it should make a difference.

Nevertheless, I moved the new to replace the old and restarted, and voila, it worked, Xfce started after logging in to lightdm. I decided to make sure this was the relevant change and added the quotes back, and Xfce failed to start. Took the quotes out again and it worked, so there it is.

Brendan
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this could be related to my issue... I'm going to try your hint.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this does not help here. Re-emerging lightdm does not add those quotes here, and adding them manually does not solve the issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: