ifconfig: no eth0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: ifconfig: no eth0 Reply with quote

Just installed, with a "genkernel all" configuration. After boot, ifconfig detects only the loopback device, "lo".

Booting from the installation media,
Code:
lspci -k | grep -A3 "Ethernet"
Kernel modules: alx

and returning to the installation,
Code:
modprobe alx
modprobe: FATAL: Module alx not found

So I think my problem is, how do I reconfigure the genkernel to include the required module?

After posting I've become aware that this isn't a networking and security problem.
lexflex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jingk,

Did you enable ALX in the kernel using genkernel with 'menuconfig' ?

Under (copy from the config menu):

Code:
 Symbol: ALX [=n]                                                                                                       x
  x Type  : tristate                                                                                                       x
  x Prompt: Qualcomm Atheros AR816x/AR817x support                                                                         x
  x   Location:                                                                                                            x
  x     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                  x
  x       -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])                                                                      x
  x         -> Ethernet driver support (ETHERNET [=y])                                                                     x
  x (1)       -> Atheros devices (NET_VENDOR_ATHEROS [=y])                                                                 x
  x   Defined at drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/Kconfig:66                                                                   x
  x   Depends on: NETDEVICES [=y] && ETHERNET [=y] && NET_VENDOR_ATHEROS [=y] && PCI [=y]                                  x
  x   Selects: CRC32 [=y] && MDIO [=m]                                                                                     x
  x                                         

Alex.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifconfig -a
lsmod

you should try this on the working and not working system and compare the outputs. than you can adopt your kernel and boot from that adopted kernel which should usually fix your issues.
Schnulli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jingk

once you used genkernel you can find the kernel-config in:
/etc/kernels/kernel-config*

I type you now how i do, bec. i am lazy...
"emerge gentoo-sources genkernel app-misc/mc"
running " genkernel all "as it is
"cd /usr/src/linux"
"make oldconfig" what imports the genkernel config
make my changes, save it
running "MC"
you are still in /usr/src/linux
copy .config to /etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-3.17.8-gentoo-r1 (can be different at your system)
and re-run USE="-j5" genkernel all bec. i am lazy and it works, USE="-j5" means to use all CPU of ur system
safe your own configured .config
in case you need to setup another or new system with the same kernel, just copy this config file again to the same location......
thats it how i use to do it be sure others do it in another way, but we are Linux and we have often more than one way to get it working ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: