Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xorg-server-1.17.x + radeon issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: xorg-server-1.17.x + radeon issues Reply with quote

after upgrading xorg to 1.17.x, my radeon cards won't start anymore, the main reason why is this:
Code:

(WW) RADEON(0): [DRI2] Direct rendering is not supported when VGA arb is necessary for the device

which causes this:
Code:

[   496.360] (--) RandR disabled
[   496.360] (II) Found 2 VGA devices: arbiter wrapping enabled
[   496.360] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[   496.360] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[   496.362] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
[   496.362] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
[   496.416] (II) RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 270
[   496.419] (EE)
[   496.419] (EE) Backtrace:
[   496.419] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x48) [0x57f6f8]
[   496.419] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x1835f9) [0x5835f9]
[   496.419] (EE) 2: /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x7f4cb5f7a000+0x34f20) [0x7f4cb5faef20]
[   496.419] (EE) 3: /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so.0 (0x7f4cb6e58000+0x6d95b) [0x7f4cb6ec595b]
[   496.419] (EE) 4: /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so.0 (0x7f4cb6e58000+0x54adf) [0x7f4cb6eacadf]
[   496.419] (EE) 5: /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so.0 (pixman_fill+0x31) [0x7f4cb6e63ad1]
[   496.419] (EE) 6: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libfb.so (fbFill+0x438) [0x7f4cb1aa4648]
[   496.419] (EE) 7: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libfb.so (fbPolyFillRect+0x1a0) [0x7f4cb1aa4ea0]
[   496.419] (EE) 8: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x10e016) [0x50e016]
[   496.419] (EE) 9: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x910b7) [0x4910b7]
[   496.419] (EE) 10: /usr/bin/X (miPaintWindow+0x1ce) [0x5633be]
[   496.419] (EE) 11: /usr/bin/X (miWindowExposures+0x59) [0x563b09]
[   496.419] (EE) 12: /usr/bin/X (MapWindow+0x24f) [0x4618af]
[   496.419] (EE) 13: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x3a960) [0x43a960]
[   496.419] (EE) 14: /lib64/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7f4cb5f9bad5]
[   496.419] (EE) 15: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x260be) [0x4260be]
[   496.419] (EE)
[   496.419] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x14f8000
[   496.419] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[   496.419] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
[   496.419] (EE)
[   496.419] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[   496.419] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.1.log" for additional information.
[   496.419] (EE)


has anyone encountered this and might know how to solve it?
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schnulli
Guru
Guru


Joined: 25 Jun 2010
Posts: 320
Location: Bremen DE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darn yes, but forgotten, there had been some extra lines you need to add to ur xorg.conf, dont ask now what, the next "Ati" Gentoo is at time compiling.......
As far i remember, you also need to be picky with your Radeon Driver releases....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chithanh
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 2152
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be two distinct problems here. One is that DRI seems not to work due to some problem related to the VGA arbiter. Do you have that kernel option enabled? Any related errors in dmesg? Is there any fancy xorg.conf setup for your cards?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
There may be two distinct problems here. One is that DRI seems not to work due to some problem related to the VGA arbiter. Do you have that kernel option enabled? Any related errors in dmesg? Is there any fancy xorg.conf setup for your cards?

not that I can see,

dmesg: https://bpaste.net/show/f17af6501a15
config: https://bpaste.net/show/a3a43b5380a7
x11 configs: https://bpaste.net/show/5658f39d1590

I've tried downgrading the kernel and the ati driver to stable, non of them worked so it can be either xserver or mesa, I think I'll update mesa now and see if it got fixed.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downgrading mesa to non git doesn't fixes the issue.

I've tried to downgrade xserver but I get various blocks that are quite illogical if comparing it to equery d
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chithanh
Developer
Developer


Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 2152
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the X server start without any xorg.conf at all?

If you downgrade xorg-server you also need to rebuild the subslot dependencies. Mostly these are the x11-drivers but also libXfont. Try:
Code:
# emerge -1 =xorg-server-1.16.4-r1 =libXfont-1.4.8-r1 @x11-module-rebuild
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
Does the X server start without any xorg.conf at all?

my third seat (intel based gpu) works, so I guess the above isn't relevant.
chithanh wrote:

If you downgrade xorg-server you also need to rebuild the subslot dependencies. Mostly these are the x11-drivers but also libXfont. Try:
Code:
# emerge -1 =xorg-server-1.16.4-r1 =libXfont-1.4.8-r1 @x11-module-rebuild

will try and report back.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I've reverted everything and the secondary terminals are working again.

now I need to see what is the cause, so I'll do the following and report back my findings:

  1. upgrade my kernel to 3.19.0
  2. upgrade x11-base/xorg-server back to 1.17.x
  3. upgrade xf86-video-ati to git


I hope that this will reveal the cause for the issue.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jimmy Jazz
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Oct 2004
Posts: 290
Location: Strasbourg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
ok, I've reverted everything and the secondary terminals are working again.

now I need to see what is the cause, so I'll do the following and report back my findings:

  1. upgrade my kernel to 3.19.0
  2. upgrade x11-base/xorg-server back to 1.17.x
  3. upgrade xf86-video-ati to git


I hope that this will reveal the cause for the issue.


Is that relevant ?

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/14/265
_________________
« La seule condition au triomphe du mal, c'est l'inaction des gens de bien » E.Burke
Code:

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
ok, I've reverted everything and the secondary terminals are working again.

now I need to see what is the cause, so I'll do the following and report back my findings:

  1. upgrade my kernel to 3.19.0
  2. upgrade x11-base/xorg-server back to 1.17.x
  3. upgrade xf86-video-ati to git


I hope that this will reveal the cause for the issue.


Is that relevant ?

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/14/265


nope, running kernel 3.19.0 and the radeon seats are ok.
next stop, trying to upgrade xorg to 1.17.x
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, confirmed, xorg-server-1.17.x is the fault. might be dup of bug #539918
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bulkin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very similiar issue on a zaphod-X setup with an intel and a radeon, both on free drivers. The X server crashes when fluxbox is started or dmenu with an "xft:" font setting is run.

Here is the backtrace:

Code:

[  2962.776] (EE)
[  2962.776] (EE) Backtrace:
[  2962.776] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x56) [0x5dcc16]
[  2962.776] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x1e17e9) [0x5e17e9]
[  2962.776] (EE) 2: /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x7f877efc0000+0x33aa0) [0x7f877eff3aa0]
[  2962.776] (EE) 3: /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so.0 (pixman_image_unref+0x4) [0x7f877ff1dfb4]
[  2962.776] (EE) 4: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so (0x7f877ad04000+0x90246) [0x7f877ad94246]
[  2962.776] (EE) 5: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x1343bc) [0x5343bc]
[  2962.776] (EE) 6: /usr/bin/X (FreeGlyph+0x60) [0x534450]
[  2962.776] (EE) 7: /usr/bin/X (FreeGlyphSet+0x5e) [0x53450e]
[  2962.776] (EE) 8: /usr/bin/X (FreeResource+0x126) [0x467c76]
[  2962.777] (EE) 9: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x13d6ea) [0x53d6ea]
[  2962.777] (EE) 10: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x3b067) [0x43b067]
[  2962.777] (EE) 11: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x40344) [0x440344]
[  2962.777] (EE) 12: /lib64/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf0) [0x7f877efdffa0]
[  2962.777] (EE) 13: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x26d1e) [0x426d1e]
[  2962.777] (EE)
[  2962.777] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0xc
[  2962.777] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[  2962.777] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
[  2962.777] (EE)
[  2962.777] (EE)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulkin wrote:
I have a very similiar issue on a zaphod-X setup with an intel and a radeon, both on free drivers. The X server crashes when fluxbox is started or dmenu with an "xft:" font setting is run.

Here is the backtrace:

Code:

[  2962.776] (EE)
[  2962.776] (EE) Backtrace:
[  2962.776] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x56) [0x5dcc16]
[  2962.776] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x1e17e9) [0x5e17e9]
[  2962.776] (EE) 2: /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x7f877efc0000+0x33aa0) [0x7f877eff3aa0]
[  2962.776] (EE) 3: /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so.0 (pixman_image_unref+0x4) [0x7f877ff1dfb4]
[  2962.776] (EE) 4: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so (0x7f877ad04000+0x90246) [0x7f877ad94246]
[  2962.776] (EE) 5: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x1343bc) [0x5343bc]
[  2962.776] (EE) 6: /usr/bin/X (FreeGlyph+0x60) [0x534450]
[  2962.776] (EE) 7: /usr/bin/X (FreeGlyphSet+0x5e) [0x53450e]
[  2962.776] (EE) 8: /usr/bin/X (FreeResource+0x126) [0x467c76]
[  2962.777] (EE) 9: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x13d6ea) [0x53d6ea]
[  2962.777] (EE) 10: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x3b067) [0x43b067]
[  2962.777] (EE) 11: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x40344) [0x440344]
[  2962.777] (EE) 12: /lib64/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf0) [0x7f877efdffa0]
[  2962.777] (EE) 13: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x26d1e) [0x426d1e]
[  2962.777] (EE)
[  2962.777] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0xc
[  2962.777] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[  2962.777] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
[  2962.777] (EE)
[  2962.777] (EE)


same xorg-server version?
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bulkin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

same xorg-server version?


xorg-server-1.17.1, disappears when downgrading to 1.16*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5273

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulkin wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

same xorg-server version?


xorg-server-1.17.1, disappears when downgrading to 1.16*


seems like a general bug in 1.17.x, might be a good idea to update the bug entry
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum