kde and an nfs systemd.automount
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirRobin2318
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: kde and an nfs systemd.automount Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a nfs partition setup in fstab as:
Code:
reddwarf.local:/export/data     /mnt/reddwarf   nfs  users,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,bg,timeo=14,noatime 0 0

Depending on where my laptop is connected, the partition might not be available. When it's not, I can open and use the file manager. I can even go on the partition which is listed in "places" on the left, nothing freezes, and after a few seconds I get an error notification telling me the partition couldn't be mounted. All as expected.
However, if I open an "open file dialog", the dialog and the app freezes.

In my journal I get multiple:
Code:
Feb 11 15:20:56 daban-urnud mount[2176]: mount.nfs: Failed to resolve server reddwarf.local: Name or service not known
Feb 11 15:20:56 daban-urnud systemd[1]: mnt-reddwarf.mount mount process exited, code=exited status=32
Feb 11 15:20:56 daban-urnud systemd[1]: Failed to mount /mnt/reddwarf.
Feb 11 15:20:56 daban-urnud systemd[1]: Unit mnt-reddwarf.mount entered failed state.

It just loops trying to mount the partition and the dialog and app stay frozen.

I don't know where to look. It seems more of a kde problem than systemd since I get correct behaviour from systemd when using the file manager.

Here's every packet version & useflag from kde-base/* that's on my system: https://bpaste.net/show/4097f070be6c
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not get your point when you claim it is not systemd related when kde is relying on the layer called systemd. But you may have your reasoning and insights to claim that.

Second, you may adjust fstab or systemd behaviour to get the desired behavour.

You need to think as a machine for such issues. What is really done. how the interacting is between the different software components

you may search for some timeout or other rules.
SirRobin2318
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do not get your point when you claim it is not systemd related when kde is relying on the layer called systemd. But you may have your reasoning and insights to claim that.

My reasoning is that displaying my mount point in a GUI should have the same behaviour whether in a dialog or file manager window.
It seems to me that if systemd was responsible for this infinite loop, the file manager would likely trigger it too.

I don't know where the problem is coming from, I'm trying to guess, I wouldn't be asking for help otherwise.

Quote:
You need to think as a machine for such issues. What is really done. how the interacting is between the different software components

you may search for some timeout or other rules.

To fix the computer you must first become the computer. Ok great, but I did search for timeouts, I did set them in fstab, they do work when I go there with a file manager (I get a error notification in about 10 secs).

Do you see anything wrong them? I don't, but I haven't tried duct taping a heatsink to my forehead yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: