Portage and Python...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Portage and Python... Reply with quote

When I first got into Gentoo maybe two years ago, I was advised to use Python 2.7, and it is all I have used since then. I am now debating using Chromium as a backup to Firefox on my laptop and I see that it requires any version of Python EXCEPT 2.7. If I switch to 3.4 or 3.5, will Portage complain? I mean actually switch. Bring down the new Python and then remove the old Python. If this is OK, which version would work best with Portage aside from 2.7? The Python requirement in a browser is a huge turn-off for me, so if Portage still works best with 2.7, I won't bother with Chromium.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can have multiple versions of python installed and not have any issues between them. As far as trying to remove 2.7, don't even both trying as there is so many packages still that only supports 2.7. In short we are forced on having to keep a copy of python 2.7 and a 3.x both on our systems. As far as having the default version set to 3.x is fine, as portage is smart enough on packages that need 2.7 will use that, while others will use what the default is.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright then, I'll just not do Chromium. Firefox is fine and this was only a desire in case of a scenario I have never run across, so it can wait. I don't understand the logic in using Python for a browser anyway, and long for the days of a browser done in an actual language like C++. Thank you for your help.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python is only used for the build system, it's not running in the actual browser. That's why it's in DEPEND, not RDEPEND.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even then, I would have it on my system for this one thing, so it still isn't viable. I'll just hold off for now. Maybe they'll adopt something a tad more common in the future, like cmake.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: