View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Some Qt apps now ignoring system style Reply with quote

So, I have QT applications set (in ~/.config/Trolltech.conf, which is an unholy mess of a config file) to use the GTK+ style, which is this nice black-with-blue-highlights style that I've been using for years.

Lately, however, the following apps have stopped observing this style setting, and defaulting to some ugly-ass off-white with blue style that I never specified. The apps so far are:

calibre
transmission
vidalia
vlc

(evince uses a new GNOME-3.14 style that completely removes all the resize handles, making it even less usable than before, but that's a different issue).

Now: how is it that I specify the gtk+ style (in my case, using lxappearance, since there doesn't seem to be any native app to do it from inside FVWM, my WM for over a decade), and then some qt-based apps ignore this setting? How do I get them to pay attention to that setting, so I have a unified app look across all my gtk/qt applications?

Cheers,

EE
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applications can choose to not listen to the global settings...

In the case of transmission:
Quote:

Changed on version 2.42+
The style no longer is changeable, I made it fixed and added the use of QtCurve style, which has themes to change the look & feel. The default looks much better than cleanlooks, and allows me to change the color of progress bars (blue for downloading, green for seeding). To change themes you can create an environment variable QTCURVE_CONFIG_FILE and set its value to one of the theme files included in the installation; for instance: themes/Ozone.qtcurve Those theme files are text files, so you can make your own (Hint: progressGrooveColor=background allow the application to change the progress bar color background, the other options, Dark and Base, only allow the foreground color to be changed; you can see this effect on the screenshot below).

Quote:
Qt has a feature that allows to change the look of applications, the screen shots I added are using it (and a different icon theme, Tango) while running on XP, try:

transmission-qt -style cleanlooks

http://trqtw.sourceforge.net/blog/transmission-qt-for-windows/using-transmission-qt/

you will probably find those other applications have a similar override
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the explanation. Actually, Calibre specifically has a checkbox for "use system default theme," but doesn't specify what this theme is. Since it's a Qt app, I'm assuming it would draw it from Qt5's config (which instructs it to use the GTK+ theme), but that's not happening.

This is what I guess I don't understand about the logic of some of these apps. What is the "system default" on a WM like FVWM, that doesn't use some theming engine to control themes? If ~/.config/Trolltech.conf says the style is "GTK+", which version does it mean? It certainly isn't the one set by lxappearance, since that's a dark theme that Calibre isn't using.

Cheers,

EE
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
If ~/.config/Trolltech.conf says the style is "GTK+", which version does it mean?

It means Qt4 programs will use GTK+2 themes. Nothing more.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. This is the part that's frustrating. How, then, do I instruct Qt5 applications to use the same theme? I understand there's a QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE variable I can set, but that doesn't seem to help for calibre. There's some app for setting it on qt-apps.org, but that seems dodgy. Any tips?

Cheers,

EE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: