[SOLVED] Failure install rp-pppoe and cannot "emerge world"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WvR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Failure install rp-pppoe and cannot "emerge wo Reply with quote

Hi, I have a problem, it has been like this for a couple of weeks now. Lenovo G580 laptop, kernel 3.17.7, gnome-light, profile "default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd"

The problem: when I try to update my system with

Code:
emerge -auvDN world

one of the packages to be built is "rp-pppoe"

Code:
[ebuild  N     ] net-dialup/rp-pppoe-3.8-r2  USE="X" 208 KiB

However, this package fails to build:

Code:
>>> Downloading 'http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz'
--2015-01-31 21:07:06--  http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz
Resolving www.roaringpenguin.com... 70.38.112.54
Connecting to www.roaringpenguin.com|70.38.112.54|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz [following]
--2015-01-31 21:07:07--  https://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz
Connecting to www.roaringpenguin.com|70.38.112.54|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2015-01-31 21:07:08 ERROR 404: Not Found.

!!! Couldn't download 'rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz'. Aborting.
 * Fetch failed for 'net-dialup/rp-pppoe-3.8-r2', Log file:
 *  '/var/tmp/portage/net-dialup/rp-pppoe-3.8-r2/temp/build.log'

Apparently, the address that is coded into the ebuild is incorrect.

So, I thought I'd just wait a while, at some point the developers would know about the problem and fix the ebuild, but this is not happening. Then I thought, let check the forums, but to my surprise, nobody else is reporting this problem. So I go to Gentoo Bugzilla: no reports about rp-pppoe. So I think: apparently I am the only one with this problem, so it is perhaps due to my settings:

Why do I need rp-pppoe?

Code:
equery depends rp-pppoe
 * These packages depend on rp-pppoe:
net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.10.1_pre20141101 (ppp ? net-dialup/rp-pppoe)

Ahaaa. So I try:

Code:
USE="-ppp" emerge -auvDN world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies |

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for net-misc/networkmanager from @selected
... done!

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "net-misc/networkmanager" has unmet requirements.
- net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.10.1_pre20141101::gentoo USE="bluetooth dhclient introspection modemmanager ncurses nss systemd wext wifi -connection-sharing (-consolekit) -dhcpcd -gnutls -ppp -resolvconf (-selinux) -teamd -test -vala -zeroconf" ABI_X86="64"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    modemmanager? ( ppp )

Mmmm, let's go one step further then:

Code:
USE="-ppp -modemmanager" emerge -auvDN world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/babl-0.1.10-r1  USE="(-altivec) (-mmx%*) (-sse%*)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx%* sse%*" 440 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] app-misc/geoclue-2.1.10:2.0  USE="-modemmanager*" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] net-dialup/rp-pppoe-3.8-r2  USE="X" 208 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.4.8:3/25 [2.4.7:3/25] USE="X egl geoloc gstreamer introspection jit libsecret opengl spell webgl (-aqua) -coverage -debug -gles2 {-test} -wayland" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/gegl-0.2.0-r2  USE="cairo jpeg png sdl svg -debug -ffmpeg -jpeg2k -lensfun -openexr -raw -umfpack (-mmx%*) (-sse%*)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx%* sse%*" 7,327 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-gfx/gimp-2.8.10-r1:2  USE="alsa bzip2 dbus exif gnome jpeg lcms mng pdf png svg tiff udev -aalib (-altivec) (-aqua) -curl -debug -doc -jpeg2k -postscript -python -smp -webkit -wmf -xpm (-mmx%*) (-sse%*)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx%* sse%*" LINGUAS="ja -am -ar -ast -az -be -bg -br -ca -ca@valencia -cs -csb -da -de -dz -el -en_CA -en_GB -eo -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -id -is -it -ka -kk -km -kn -ko -lt -lv -mk -ml -ms -my -nb -nds -ne -nl -nn -oc -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -rw -si -sk -sl -sr -sr@latin -sv -ta -te -th -tr -tt -uk -vi -xh -yi -zh_CN -zh_HK -zh_TW" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] app-office/libreoffice-4.2.8.2 [4.2.6.3] USE="bluetooth branding cups dbus eds gnome gstreamer gtk opengl vba webdav (-aqua) -debug (-firebird) -gtk3 -java -jemalloc -kde -mysql -odk -postgres -telepathy {-test} -vlc" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="-nlpsolver -scripting-beanshell -scripting-javascript -wiki-publisher" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python3_3 -python3_4" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -python3_4" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] gnome-base/gdm-3.12.2-r2 [3.12.2-r1] USE="branding introspection ipv6 systemd tcpd -accessibility -audit -debug -fprint -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard {-test} -wayland -xinerama" 0 KiB

Total: 8 packages (3 upgrades, 1 new, 4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 7,974 KiB

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

dev-python/numpy:0

(dev-python/numpy-1.9.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    <dev-python/numpy-1.9.0[python_targets_python2_7(-),python_targets_python3_3(-),-python_single_target_python2_7(-),-python_single_target_python3_3(-)] required by (dev-python/matplotlib-1.3.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    ^                 ^^^^^                                                                                                                               

net-misc/networkmanager:0

(net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.10.1_pre20141101:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    >=net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8[modemmanager] required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.12.1-r1:2/2::gentoo, installed)

Note that the stupid rp-pppoe is back in the list again! Aha, so gnome-control-center requires networkmanager, compiled with modemmanager USE flag and that apparently triggers the ppp USE flag and that causes rp-pppoe to be rebuilt....

Questions:

- apparently I am the only one with this problem. Why? I have done
Code:
emerge --sync
several times over the last weeks and I am still bocked on the rp-pppoe that doesn't download

- is there a replacement package that I can use instead of rp-pppoe?

Last edited by WvR on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to clear the USE flag modemmanager.

Edit

gnome-base/gnome-control-center requires the USE flag modemmanager and it is not optional. Therefore modemmanager and ppp can not be cleared.
dlaor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they've changed the path; I would think that you can now obtain the source from

https://www.roaringpenguin.com/files/download/

If you trust this, then you can copy the "rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz" file from there into your "../portage/distfiles" directory; I would expect this to solve your problem.

Hope this helps!
WvR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "solved" (mwa, worked around) the problem by allowing the ~amd64 keyword on rp-pppoe; it now installs a newer version (3.11) for which the ebuild does provide the correct URL.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: