net depdendencies
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zebbedi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: net depdendencies Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me how I stop a particular service from being stopped by NetworkManager? I'm trying to exclude samba as it contains cached login credentials from being stopped when my wireless connection drops.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: net depdendencies Reply with quote

zebbedi wrote:
Can anyone please tell me how I stop a particular service from being stopped by NetworkManager? I'm trying to exclude samba as it contains cached login credentials from being stopped when my wireless connection drops.

zebbedi ... that's one of the shortcomings of using NetworkManager, once started by init.d it exists above and beyond it. So, there is nothing openrc can do about the services that 'rc_need=net' as NetworkManager is 'rc_provide=net'. You may be able to add 'rc_samba_need="!net" but it may not work (as samba will probably need net available to setup its shares). That said, I'm not at all familiar with NetworkManager, so perhaps it offers some built-in method of blacklisting services it stops/starts ... so, take the above with a pinch of salt.

Time for bed? ... best ... khay
zebbedi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I literally just found a page on rc_need. Slightly different to what you said but along the same lines, I've added rc_need="!net" to /etc/conf.d/samba.conf and it seems to work. It works in the sense that I can now at least login, but will have to test it when i get back to work to ensure it works correctly to put me back on to the network.

Many thanks for your help.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zebbedi wrote:
I literally just found a page on rc_need. Slightly different to what you said but along the same lines, I've added rc_need="!net" to /etc/conf.d/samba.conf and it seems to work. It works in the sense that I can now at least login, but will have to test it when i get back to work to ensure it works correctly to put me back on to the network.

zebbedi, yes, though rc_samba_need="!net" was targeting /etc/rc.conf ... same difference.

zebbedi wrote:
Many thanks for your help.

You're welcome & best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: