[SOLVED] Can't seems to get direct rendering working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can't seems to get direct rendering working Reply with quote

EDIT :

Solved, after digging a bit deeper, I've found that the issue was that my regular user wasn't member of the video group, root was for instance, that's why glxinfo was reporting direct rendering yes when run as root.

After adding my user to the video group and rebooting, I've been able to start steam without error messages :)

Furthermore, it was on the wiki, just didn't catch it at first : https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers

Hi everyone !

I'm trying to get direct rendering working on my Gentoo box, I've followed the Gentoo and Arch wiki fixes / workarounds but I've not been successfull so far and I'm looking for clue on were to search ?

Basically I need it for Steam and as it's pretty much the last thing I need to get working to witch from my Arch install to Gentoo, so I'm really willing to fix this (and I'll make sure to complete the wiki !)

On my kernel config, I've disabled CONFIG_DRM as per this wiki page : http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers#Direct_rendering_is_not_enabled

I got X running fine with XFCE, I can access nvidia-settings

Code:

myu@Dwarf ~ $ eix nvidia-drivers
[I] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
     Available versions:  [M]96.43.23^msd [M]173.14.39^msd 304.125^msd 331.113^msd 340.65^msd 343.36^msd ~346.22^msd {+X acpi custom-cflags gtk gtk2 gtk3 multilib pax_kernel (+)tools uvm KERNEL="FreeBSD linux"}
     Installed versions:  343.36^msd(02:56:14 PM 01/10/2015)(X acpi multilib tools -pax_kernel -uvm KERNEL="linux -FreeBSD")
     Homepage:            http://www.nvidia.com/
     Description:         NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver

Code:

myu@Dwarf ~ $ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,

Code:

myu@Dwarf ~ $ eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   nvidia *
  [2]   xorg-x11

Code:
myu@Dwarf ~ $ uname -a
Linux Dwarf 3.16.5-gentoo-Nucleo #6 SMP Sat Jan 10 00:25:45 CET 2015 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Code:
myu@Dwarf ~ $ /usr/sbin/lspci | grep NVIDIA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)

Dunno if this is relevant but here's eselect mesa list

Code:

myu@Dwarf ~ $ eselect mesa list
64bit i915 (Intel 915, 945)
64bit i965 (Intel GMA 965, G/Q3x, G/Q4x, HD)
64bit r300 (Radeon R300-R500)
64bit r600 (Radeon R600-R700, Evergreen, Northern Islands)
64bit sw (Software renderer)
  [1]   classic
  [2]   gallium *
32bit i915 (Intel 915, 945)
  [1]   classic
  [2]   gallium *
32bit i965 (Intel GMA 965, G/Q3x, G/Q4x, HD)
  [1]   classic *
32bit r300 (Radeon R300-R500)
  [1]   gallium *
32bit r600 (Radeon R600-R700, Evergreen, Northern Islands)
  [1]   gallium *
32bit sw (Software renderer)
  [1]   classic
  [2]   gallium *

In /etc/portage/package.use, I've put this config for nvidia-drivers, really unsure if needed or not but I think the issue kinda boil down to get mesa32 working on an x86_64 system

Code:

# Custom Config
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers multilib

So, is there someone out here running Steam on Gentoo with a nvidia card that could give me a hand ? Warm thanks in advance if you take the time to respond !

Have a nice day or noon :)

Cheers,

Myu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: