Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved]Trouble copy and pasting files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
amaltheia
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: [Solved]Trouble copy and pasting files Reply with quote

I am running KDE with Dolphin. I downloaded an audio book from librivox.org and unzipped it in my Downloads directory. Now I have 64 separate mp3 files in my Downloads folder and I want to move them into into a new folder. I created a new directory in Downloads, selected all 64 files with my mouse, right clicked to cut, and then right clicked to paste into the new directory. I tried to paste into the directory both from outside and inside it, however, the paste option is not available in the drop down menu. I even tried to drag and drop them into that directory, but they will not move. Is there a problem with my setting in Dolphin.

I am also wondering how I could do this on my terminal. The file name is davidcopperfield_01_dickens_64kb.mp3 and it goes from 00 to 64. How would I type the commands to move it into the new folder that I want?


Last edited by amaltheia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble copy and pasting files Reply with quote

amaltheia wrote:
I am also wondering how I could do this on my terminal. The file name is davidcopperfield_01_dickens_64kb.mp3 and it goes from 00 to 64. How would I type the commands to move it into the new folder that I want?

amaltheia ... I'll ignore the first part of your question to concentrate on the latter part ... really this is where a shell shines ...

Code:
$ mkdir Downloads/David_Copperfield
$ mv Downloads/davidcopperfield* Downloads/David_Copperfield

In reality though I'd probably do this ... again, this is what makes shell use far, far, easier than GUI "file managers".

Code:
$ cd Downloads
$ mkdir David_Copperfield
$ mv da[tab]* Da[tab]

... or something of that nature ... note '[tab]' denotes a tab key.

Thats it at its most basic ... but the more you learn the more specific (and usefull) it becomes:

Code:
% echo $SHELL
/bin/zsh
% zmv '(**/)(*).jpe' '$1$2.jpg'
% zmv -Q '(**/)* *(.D)' '$f:gs/ /_'

... I won't explain what either of those does ... just enjoy them as idiographs :)

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amaltheia
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble copy and pasting files Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
amaltheia wrote:
I am also wondering how I could do this on my terminal. The file name is davidcopperfield_01_dickens_64kb.mp3 and it goes from 00 to 64. How would I type the commands to move it into the new folder that I want?

amaltheia ... I'll ignore the first part of your question to concentrate on the latter part ... really this is where a shell shines ...

Code:
$ mkdir Downloads/David_Copperfield
$ mv Downloads/davidcopperfield* Downloads/David_Copperfield


Thanks for your help! That worked great and was very easy. The command line does make things very quick and easy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amaltheia
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out why I was not able to copy and past my files in Dolphin.

I forgot that I was still working as root so when I extracted it from the zip file it assigned it to the root account. That prevented me from moving the files arround because they belonged to root and I did not have permission to move them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 6228
Location: Room 101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaltheia wrote:
I figured out why I was not able to copy and past my files in Dolphin. I forgot that I was still working as root so when I extracted it from the zip file it assigned it to the root account. That prevented me from moving the files arround because they belonged to root and I did not have permission to move them.

amaltheia ... yes, well, "man don\'t" :) ... but lets say you wanted to find these files ...

Code:
% echo $SHELL
/bin/zsh
% print -rl ~/**(u:root:N)

easy ...

best ... khay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum