WM, Desktop Environment optimized for touch screens
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: WM, Desktop Environment optimized for touch screens Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for a desktop optimized for desktops for 2 purposes:

One is a All-in-one PC with a touch screen that I like to use as touch control only for internet browsing and media-player/server (DLNA) but with a fixed location. There I thought about XBMC.

The other is a replacement for a Android Tablet (Asus Transformer) with hardware keyboard. I wonder if some Linux could have better touch support than Android itself, but I would prefer my own Gentoo. I know there are Linux sandbox solutions on Android itself, but not native Linux.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux/X11 toolkits were never really designed for touch, and are basically awful...

That being said I have been trying to install Gentoo on a tablet. I ended up trying Gnome3 as I found some of the mouse gestures kind of awkward like scrolling around the activities page. My guess was right, it's a lot more pleasant to use with a touch screen. But that was just one aspect.

However most of the rest of the applications in X11 just aren't very good with a touch screen. It's hard to 'click' on stuff, etc. and the drivers don't always work as expected. The soft keyboard also pops up whenever I enable it and select a text field but is clunky as it covers the screen. It's a start, at least for Gnome 3.12. I still haven't gotten multitouch working but heard that Gnome had started some of those too.

Don't know. For real work I think I still need the keyboard and mouse... It was no wonder why Google decided to redo everything much to legacy's chagrin.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for XBMC only this should be fine with touch control I could imagine.

xorg also has some support for more than one mouse-pointer I read, there are also some window manager with that ability.
I heard about some Ubuntu on Android-devices, what is that using as window manager?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just recently, X11 does support multitouch, but the applications/toolkits themselves need to be adapted to it.

Also there may be alternative gestures that aren't clear... I suppose most people are now used to 1-finger scrolling but on a PC trackpads, two finger scrolling is the norm.

One thing that was kind of annoying on the tablet was when I tried to use Firefox. When I tried 1-finger scrolling it treated it like a click-and-drag. Well of course... There's an addon to "fix" this but it's one of these things that was never meant to be for X.

I heard Chromium/Chrome works with 1-finger scrolling in X however.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, that scrolling issue is one of the differences for touch pads and touch screens. Thinking of the pointer as a mouse or trackpad, moving means moving the pointer to a location without clicking. But on a touch screen, I can point any location without moving there. I guess it could be a job of the xserver itself, using a pointer device in 2 different modes that is mouse-mode or touchscreen-mode.

Thinking of the pointer as a mouse one could get used to a touch screen. But today being used to the behaviour of common touch screens on Android, the difference could be even more annoying.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: