Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A better question may be why don't they push a fix or at least a news alert.

That's more of because they haven't finished blaming each other. :P Blaming upstream for not supporting multiple files declarations and stuff.... They say this method is supposedly better, but if you have an old xorg.conf file; it won't work. None of them is wanting to force everyone to redo their xorg.conf to the new location and remove that file. Doesn't help, that this "new" way is conflicting with xorg loading some fonts.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know this is a big problem so I solved it in a simple and dirty way. (nVidia)
I want terminus font for my xterm because I use xterm alot.
When I remove Files section from other conf files I get hardware acceleration, if there is Files section in any other file HW acceleration is gone. So I added FontPath to 20opengl.conf. It worked until nvidia driver upgrade, the file got overwritten.
So I put the contents of 20opengl.conf to another file and added FontPath.
Now everything works, I'm sure there will be a clean solution soon.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using ~amd64 multilib and FGLRX driver (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 GPU). Before emerging world today I had an xorg.conf file without a "Files" section, and there was no /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory. After the update two new lines had been added in xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Files"
EndSection

and there is a new directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ which contained a new file 20opengl.conf with the following contents:

Code:
Section "Files"
        ModulePath "/usr/lib32/xorg/modules"
        ModulePath "/usr/lib64/opengl/ati"
        ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

I deleted the above-mentioned two lines in xorg.conf and I also deleted the line containing "lib32" in 20opengl.conf. After rebooting, X11, GLX and Direct Rendering are working.

EDIT (Mon 26 Jan 04:10:13 GMT 2015): Actually, I'm not so sure now that the above-mentioned two lines in xorg.conf were new; they may already have been in the file before I emerged world. Anyway, I deleted them.

Fitzcarraldo's blog

Last edited by Fitzcarraldo on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted in the bug report, and also bug submitted upstream; xorg server does NOT support multiple sections of "Files". This is one part of the issue that was completely over looked when the new eselect was made. From my understanding, nvidia-drivers, or radeon-drivers ebuilds should not even be making this *opengl.conf to begin with. If it is, I would of expected these files actually reference the correct files/directorys and not xorg's 32 bit drivers first. Another issue I see having *-drivers ebuild making these file, is for when a person does NOT want glx enabled for what ever reason.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A better question may be why don't they push a fix or at least a news alert.

I agree a news alert would be a good idea. And ofc a correctly-working installation is better.
ct85711 wrote:
That's more of because they haven't finished blaming each other. :P Blaming upstream for not supporting multiple files declarations and stuff.... They say this method is supposedly better, but if you have an old xorg.conf file; it won't work.

Well yeah it's a nice idea, but one would hope a "developer" might test their assumptions before pushing.
Quote:
None of them is wanting to force everyone to redo their xorg.conf to the new location and remove that file. Doesn't help, that this "new" way is conflicting with xorg loading some fonts.

Ah that old canard; "your way of doing things is old and not what I use, thus broken", despite being nominally-supported by upstream, and even though we broke it.
ct85711 wrote:
As noted in the bug report, and also bug submitted upstream; xorg server does NOT support multiple sections of "Files". This is one part of the issue that was completely over looked when the new eselect was made. From my understanding, nvidia-drivers, or radeon-drivers ebuilds should not even be making this *opengl.conf to begin with.

Why not? Because of the Files thing or something else?
Quote:
If it is, I would of expected these files actually reference the correct files/directorys and not xorg's 32 bit drivers first.

Well yeah that is a bit lame.
Quote:
Another issue I see having *-drivers ebuild making these file, is for when a person does NOT want glx enabled for what ever reason.

Hmm USE conditional?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't really say why xorg does not like multiple Files sections. My thought is that, it's more of a old hold off from the old configs where it wasn't an issue (it wasn't difficult to look through a single file for the correct part).

Ideally, I'd like xorg it so that the Files section can completely be removed, that Xorg will automatically load glx and use the ATI/Nvidia glx, and fallback to mesa's glx.

As for making selecting glx a USE selectable doesn't seem right, to require recompiling the package in addition to the restart.
I'm going to leave it up to the devs on how it gets fixed, as I'm not going to figure out why it's such a bad thing to use the old method that everything expects.
daniel.santos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: SOLUTION (distilled) Reply with quote

fuck! fuck! fuck! fuck! fuck! FUUUUCK!!!!!

Sorry about that, this one was really frustrating. Thank you all so very much, especially Fitzcarraldo.

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
... After the update two new lines had been added in xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Files"
EndSection

I deleted the above-mentioned two lines in xorg.conf ... After rebooting, X11, GLX and Direct Rendering are working.

I hope you don't mind me paraphrasing you're quote, but I think that this distills it. I commented these fuckers out and it's now working. I'm not going to post everything else I've tried up to this point. And I especially loved the part where Xorg.0.log even claims to load it (prior to the above fix):

Code:
[   140.027] (II) "glx" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also specified in the config file.
[   140.027] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[   140.045] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[   140.963] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   140.963]    compiled for 1.16.3, module version = 1.0.0
[   140.963]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 8.0

Fuck you xorg!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: