USB mouse not working in X Window System
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: USB mouse not working in X Window System Reply with quote

Hi.

Is anything special needed for an USB mouse to function in X? I did install xorg-server with INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" (I also tried adding "mouse" and then updated the make.conf) and my USB keyboard worked out of the box (I used the default 10-evdev.conf, I guess the pointer section is for mouses?), whereas the mouse doesn't do anything (the LED is WAD, however).

dmesg also says that both keyboard and mouse are detected and working, so it has to be a evdev/xorg issue (the X log-file in /var/log indicated that) .
I compiled the kernel sources and the rest of the system with ACCEPT_LICENSE="*- @FREE".

The mouse is a Logitech G402 (does it need a binary blob?).

BTW: The system is not installed anymore, I wanted a clean install anyway, so that's why I'm asking beforehand (installation is kinda a PITA with USB tethering via a Smartphone, are there plans by the devs to include wireless drivers in the Live-CD, especially carl9170?).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugen,

Welcome to Gentoo.

It doesn't matter what distro you use to install Gentoo. The bootCD only provudes the tools to do the install. All of the code to get you started comes from the stage3 tarball.

There is one rule. You need to boot a 64 bit kernel to do a 64 bit install.

With that in mind start with System Rescue CD, which is a Gentoo derivative and allows you to just follow the handbook. It has several advantages over the liveCD

1. better hardware support, especially wireless
2. an optional GUI so you can post here and read the handbook on line.
3. it has the words "Don't Panic" inscribed in large friendly letters on the sleeve.

(OK 3. isn't true but you get the idea.)

Some mice need a kerel module of their own. I've not looked for your Logitech G402, I need its Vendor and Device ID from the output of lsusb.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Mugen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it is working now.
I changed the kernel settings and activated Improved Transaction Translator scheduling in the kernel (Device Drivers > USB Support > EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support) and also wrote "evdev mouse keyboard" right at the beginning of the X server intstallation in INPUT_DEVICES.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: