[Solved] The Witcher 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: [Solved] The Witcher 2 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I was thrilled to see that GOG had the witcher 2 for linux. I bought it, downloaded it, but haven't yet been able to actually play it. It seems that it wants a 32bit environment, and of course, my system is compiled for 64bit.

I had hoped that I could simply add a package here and there with the abi_x86_32 flag... but no... it seems that it wants a whole slew of packages installed with 32bit compatibility. The list of consistency errors on my system when trying to do this is at least double my scroll-back buffer. I have tried this about a year ago (multi-lib), and it is very painful. Every subsequent world update becomes a federal production that I simply do not have time for anymore (trying to fix dependencies and resolve conflicts).

Is there a reasonable way to get this to run on Gentoo? I cannot believe that they would package it this way, in this day and age... who the heck would play this on a 32bit system?

Thanks for the input.

G

Last edited by grooveman on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo multilib approach is practically an "enable it all or nothing" thing, unless you like to read a lot of dependency resolver errors as you already noticed.

Unfortunately people are trying to deprecate emul-linux-x86-* packages altogether, but they are still fully functional. So things should work *without* having ABI_X86="32" activated AT ALL... in which case the emul-linux-x86-* will install the compatibility libraries without pulling in all that shitload of dependencies.

In case emul-linux-x86-* will be removed from the tree we could still maintain them in an overlay.

So: don't enable ABI_X86="32" at all and only install the emul-linux-x86-* packages.

I often make ebuilds for gog based games (e.g. baldurs gate enhanced edition), but I have bought witcher2 on steam already and won't buy it again.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like I already have the emul libraries.. but they are not enough. It still wants 32bit sdl2 and pixbuff... and god knows what else...

What a drag...
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grooveman wrote:
It does look like I already have the emul libraries.. but they are not enough. It still wants 32bit sdl2 and pixbuff... and god knows what else...

What a drag...

Uh... yeah, sdl2 is not packaged in the emul libraries.

Sad to say this, but you won't have this problem on steam, because it ships it's own runtime. However... DRM and stuff.
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can set up an emul-linux overlay in the next few days with support for sdl2, but I can't promise anything.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if I played this on Ubuntu or Mint, I wouldn't have any problems... but I don't really want to do that. Might as well run the damn thing on Windows...
mmogilvi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As hasufell says, mixing partial "abi_x86_32" with emul-linux is practically impossible for all except a couple of leaf packages (wine and adobe-flash come to mind). In the case of libsdl2, its dependencies only allow abi_x86_32 to supply the lower-level dependencies, NOT emul-linux, and there is no emul-linux equivalent pre-packaged 32 bit libsdl2. In principle libsdl2 dependencies could be fixed so you could install it with abi_x86_32 while nearly everything else comes from emul-linux. But considering that the tree appears to only need a few more stabilized packages (bug 525254) before they can unmask abi_x86_32 and mask emul-linux (and considering that the mixture is where most of the real difficulties come from), it seems unlikely anyone would bother tweaking libsdl2's (or other library's) dependencies for this at this point.

My recommendation would be to just switch over to abi_x86_32 completely, and eliminate emul-linux.

For users at the moment, actually getting rid of emul-linux and switching to abi_x86_32 is kind of involved the first time you do it, but after that, it requires relatively little effort to keep it working. I switched my machines about 9 months ago with some pain, but it has been fairly easy to keep up since then. Anyone who tried to continue mixing emul-linux with abi_x86_32 has probably had a LOT more pain.

I have been maintaining a post describing the specific configuration changes required to make this work at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7509542.html?sid=c5b44664c998872c1c014477e22c3048#7509542 . I've edited it many times, but the vast majority of the edits were trivial: removing package.keywords entries that are no longer needed because appropriate versions were stabilized (and wouldn't hurt anything if left in), or adding support for new configurations (like wine's gstreamer and other USE flags) that previously were not possible at all. The post also outlines a few other possibilities near the top (like sticking with just emul-linux), but overall I expect those to become completely obsolete within a month or two at most.
Ftroop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you have resolved this but i couldnt get witcher 2 to run so i cliced on game then properties ,goto betas and select linux beta now it works flawless.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ftroop wrote:
so i cliced on game then properties ,goto betas and select linux beta now it works flawless.

Where did you find this option?
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be playing on Steam.

First Post wrote:
I was thrilled to see that GOG had the witcher 2 for linux. I bought it, downloaded it, but haven't yet been able to actually play it. It seems that it wants a 32bit environment, and of course, my system is compiled for 64bit.

There is nothing to click, as it never launches.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I got this running, and it is working pretty good! I think there is a little more tearing under linux than there was under Windows 8, but it is only cosmetic, and it is definitely playable.

I had two things thwarting me:

1) I had to sort out all the dependencies and build a multi-lib system
2) I did not have a clean download of the game. I have relatively poor bandwidth, and it takes about 10 hours to download. I tried downloading it several times over, but it never worked right. Had to go to a friend's who had 50mb/sec to get a clean download. I wish GOG would allow for wget... but that is neither here nor there now.

Looks like you need media-libs/sdl2-image, which is masked. Also need to have the haptic use flag for libsdl2 as well. The tricky one was that you need to have 32bit x11-libs/gtk+-2.x. No way around that. I had 3.x, but there is no 32bit build for that. If anyone is interested, I can post my package.use and package.keywords files.

G
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grooveman could you please share your package.use and package.keywords files for this? Since there is no emul-linux combination in the tree, if i see this right?

Portage wont build sdl2-image and libsdl2 here, even if i try to set "abi_x86_32" inside the Useflags. Seems like emerge just ignore these settings. :/

Code:
 USE="abi_x86_32" emerge -pv1 media-libs/libsdl2 sdl2-image

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=media-libs/libsdl2-2.0.1-r1[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]".
(dependency required by "media-libs/sdl2-image-2.0.0-r1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sdl2-image" [argument])

Maybe its possible to create an ebuild for this with static libs and Launcher-Launcher?
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I don't understand. I spent a good deal of time writing a lengthy reply to your request... and I don't see it here. That was a few weeks ago... so I'm not sure what happened.. if I hit preview instead of submit, or if there was a forum server restore. Anyway, sorry about that. I will try to get this posted for you tonight.

-G
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi grooveman,

its ok, don't hurry. I have actually not much time to play. But i thought it could be a good idea. I just want to take a look at it. If there are too many settings or i got in trouble with other 32-Bit-Opengl Progs, because i run an Multiple Environment i think about to use the Steam-Client later to got this game run. ;D

Right now i don't use Steam, but later this year i plan to buy a new Gaming equipment for a steamos-box or a gentoo-steam-box.

Thank you!

Chris
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'm going to try this again.

Getting the right package.keywords and package use files makes all the difference in getting this game to run. For a while there, I thought it wasn't possible without getting into really unstable packages (which I'm not willing to do), but it is -- bearing in mind the information I posted above.

My package.unmask:
Code:
media-libs/sdl2-image

/etc/portage/profile/use.mask
Code:
-abi_x86_32

Here is my package.keywords:
Code:

>=media-libs/sdl2-image-2.0.0-r1 ~amd64  #(for sure needed)
>=net-misc/curl-7.40.0 ~amd64   #(needed)
>=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.19.0 ~amd64  #(probably not needed)

Package.use:
Code:

#Needed for witcher2
dev-db/mariadb -xml
x11-base/xorg-server udev
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers gtk3 gtk2
media-libs/libsdl2 haptic
sys-libs/zlib abi_x86_32
x11-proto/xproto abi_x86_32
x11-proto/xextproto abi_x86_32
x11-proto/inputproto abi_x86_32
x11-proto/kbproto abi_x86_32
x11-libs/libXau abi_x86_32
x11-libs/libXdmcp abi_x86_32
dev-libs/libpthread-stubs abi_x86_32
x11-proto/xf86bigfontproto abi_x86_32
x11-proto/xf86dgaproto abi_x86_32
x11-libs/libpciaccess abi_x86_32
x11-proto/xcb-proto abi_x86_32
x11-libs/libxcb abi_x86_32
x11-libs/libX11 abi_x86_32                                                                                           
x11-libs/libXext abi_x86_32                                                                                         
x11-libs/libvdpau abi_x86_32                                                                                         
x11-libs/libXxf86dga abi_x86_32                                                                                     
media-video/mplayer bidi

#Not sure if needed... but I have nevertheless
dev-libs/elfutils static-libs
app-crypt/qca openssl
media-gfx/xsane gimp ocr
net-print/hplip fax hpijs scanner snmp
net-print/cups java -usb
# required by amarok (argument)
>=virtual/mysql-5.6-r2 embedded
>=dev-db/mariadb-10.0.16 embedded
dev-lang/python sqlite
media-libs/harfbuzz icu
media-video/libav threads
media-libs/mlt ffmpeg kdenlive melt
dev-libs/boost python
media-sound/pulseaudio gnome alsa cpas dbus gdbm glib orc udev X equalizer

If you have a laptop with Optimus, it gets a little more complicated. My package.use and package.keywords file got a little larger there. I can post that if you like.

Good luck!

-G

Last edited by grooveman on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is fun. The fighting system is much better than the first. The dice-gambling play got better (faster, each shoot is final, instead of best of 3), but the dumb thing is that the stakes never go up for gambling like they did in the first game. You are lucky to take 30 gold even in the final chapter.

But lots of fun, and two distinct story lines, depending upon the choices you make.
Ghoraab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Grooveman.

Thanks for the information how to get Witcher 2 running. It's such an awesome game. And I should have searched for your solution before working it out all by myself in some hours work. :? Going back and forth between multilib and emul-linux.

Basically the same configuration as yours is working for me but there's one thing...
grooveman wrote:
Be aware that you need to have an nvidia card to play this game. That's just how they decided to make it.

that does not seem to be true. I have a ATI Radeon HD 7750 and Witcher 2 seems to run fine. I have not played a lot up to now, though. But in priciple it works.

Happy gaming! :D
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well, then the rumors were untrue!

Good news for AMD players. I have struck that comment from my post above, so as not to dissuade ATI folks.

:)
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, also worthy of note, I do not believe the line in /etc/portage/profile/use.mask is not necessary any longer -- now that it is the default,and multi-lib is all but extinct.
fTheobald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 2017 using Gentoo-4.9.6-r1 (arch amd64):

I just had to emerge:
media-libs/libsdl2 with "abi_x86_32" and "haptic" use flag
media-libs/sdl2-image with "abi_x86_32" use flag

But I have to admit to have playonlinux installed, which required to re-emerge a lot of packages with the "abi_x86_32" use flag, so without playonlinux portage may re-emerge numerous packages with the "abi_x86_32" use flag...

My specs:
Processor: i7-5820K
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX970 (x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-375.26)

Have tested installing (does not need above mentioned packages), starting the game and a few minutes of gameplay in the arena => all went just fine.

Greetings
Florian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: