Mutt with solarized theme
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjbiscuits
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Mutt with solarized theme Reply with quote

I am attempting to use mutt with the solarized theme by Ethan Schoonover. However, for it to work correctly mutt needs to be compiled with slang rather than ncurses. If I change my package.use to give the slang flag for mutt it is has no effect and mutt is still compiled with ncurses.

Is there a way to compile mutt with slang rather than ncurses?
RiouJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to up this old thread but I have exactly the same problem. There are some closed bugs (ten years ago) showing the reason.

Here are my use flags for mutt:
Code:
$ eix -I mail-client/mutt
[I] mail-client/mutt
     Available versions:  1.5.23-r5 1.5.23-r7 ~1.5.23-r8 ~1.5.24-r1 1.5.24-r2 {berkdb crypt debug doc gdbm gnutls gpg idn imap kerberos libressl mbox nls nntp pop qdbm sasl selinux sidebar slang smime smtp ssl tokyocabinet}
     Installed versions:  1.5.24-r2(04:34:43 PM 11/12/2016)(berkdb crypt gdbm imap nls sasl sidebar smime smtp ssl -debug -doc -gnutls -gpg -idn -kerberos -libressl -mbox -nntp -pop -qdbm -selinux -slang -tokyocabinet)
     Homepage:            http://www.mutt.org/
     Description:         A small but very powerful text-based mail client

The slang useflag is available but not considered, still linked to ncurses:
Code:
$ mutt -v | grep ncurses
ncurses: ncurses 5.9.20110404 (compiled with 5.9)

But why letting this useflag if it's not considered?
RiouJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I woke up this morning, mutt was able to be compiled against slang with the useflag:
Code:
[ebuild  N     ] sys-libs/slang-2.2.4-r1  USE="pcre png readline zlib -cjk -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[ebuild   R    ] mail-client/mutt-1.5.24-r2  USE="slang*"

Code:
$ mutt -v | grep slang
slang: 20204
Configure options: '--prefix=/usr' '--build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--disable-silent-rules' '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--enable-pgp' '--disable-debug' '--disable-gpgme' '--enable-imap' '--enable-nls' '--disable-nntp' '--disable-pop' '--enable-smime' '--enable-smtp' '--without-idn' '--without-gss' '--with-slang=/usr' '--enable-compressed' '--enable-external-dotlock' '--enable-nfs-fix' '--sysconfdir=/etc/mutt' '--with-docdir=/usr/share/doc/mutt-1.5.24-r2' '--with-regex' '--with-exec-shell=/bin/sh' '--disable-fcntl' '--enable-flock' '--enable-hcache' '--without-tokyocabinet' '--without-qdbm' '--with-gdbm' '--without-bdb' '--with-ssl' '--with-sasl' '--with-homespool=Maildir' 'build_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-march=corei7 -O2 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed'

Don't know what happened during the night but thanks!
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiouJ ... for the record you can use the ("recommended") 16 colour solarized colourscheme with mutt built with ncurses:

Code:
% mutt -v | grep ncurses
ncurses: ncurses 5.9.20110404 (compiled with 5.9)
% grep solarized ~/.muttrc
source ~/.mutt/07-mutt-colors-solarized/mutt-colors-solarized-dark-16.muttrc

As I remember ncurses is prefered over slang for mutt, and I don't see any mention of a requirement for slang in solarized's README.md.

best ... khay
RiouJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's written in the 256 colors version source code, even in the 16 colors version:
Quote:
# make sure that you are using mutt linked against slang, not ncurses, or
# suffer the consequences of weird color issues. use "mutt -v" to check this.

By the way, I use now the 16 colors version and it works well. I was just confused by the useflag that was not working but was still present. Not a problem anymore.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiouJ wrote:
It's written in the 256 colors version source code, even in the 16 colors version:
Quote:
# make sure that you are using mutt linked against slang, not ncurses, or
# suffer the consequences of weird color issues. use "mutt -v" to check this.

RiouJ ... I'd ignore such comments ... solarized is developed in an OSX environment so the version of ncurses may likely be old/unmaintained, and/or Terminal.app or iTerm may be handling terminfo badly, and/or some Apple specific namespacing issue (such as with Homebrew or apple bundles). As I showed, I'm using 16colour with ncurses (and have for some time) with no "weird colors".

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: