View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: too stupid to theme plymouth :( Reply with quote

// Doesn't really fit anywhere, except my OTG, but since fewer people look there, I'll just post here - Mods, move as needed.

tl;dr: I don't get how theming plymouth works (in Gentoo), where are the settings stored?

normal version:
I'd like to use the 'spinfinity'-theme, BUT change the background to a single color (don't care if it's an image or just a hexcode), get rid of the Gentoo-logo (or replace it) and change the color of the loading bar at the bottom.

The default setup is already working, it shows a gray background (seems to be a gradient in vertical direction) and I have no clue where it takes that color/picture from(looked at all pictures coming with the ebuild, nothing relevant as far as I can tell).

/usr/share/plymouth/bizcom.png is a Gentoo logo which seems to be the one shown in the default setup, but I can't find a config referencing the picture nor something referencing the loading bar(which seems to be plain white).

So, am I just too stupid to understand the system, did I not look good enough for config files or what's up?
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: too stupid to theme plymouth :( Reply with quote

avx wrote:
So, am I just too stupid to understand the system, did I not look good enough for config files or what's up?

Thats' the RH/FreeDesktop effect... try to go to the HOMEPAGE... nothing useful to be found there either. AFAIC, I'm not helping, am I?
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Second tought... Reply with quote

A second thought made me think about... SO YOU'RE USING THAT OVERWEIGHTED initramfs generating tools? [Meaning DRACUT.]
You can follow my sig for a lightweight one with fblspash support. I'm not guarantying anything because I did not use it (fbsplash that is) for ages, but if anything goes wrong... easy/quick fix are waiting for the adventurous ones.
[There is no plymouth support because it require UDEV... maybe SytemDebug. Not kidding.]
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using genkernel for it and am trying plymouth for it's smoother transition to X (so nearly no flickering). Getting fbsplash working nicely with a password prompt for LUKS isn't that easy, after all the system in question isn't for me, but it should look nice.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genkernel has its own heavyness in its own way because udev, bash and a few util-linux/coreutils and other are bundled...
Well, all those aren't prohibited in mkinitramfs-ll... quite the contrary, one can bundle anything easily even custom scripts/hooks as the API is simple and straitforward.

Your best luck would be try to grab a few plymouth themes and see for yourself. I've looked, well I tried, into that for some time now, and it's not easy to find themes around. This is really weird as plymouth is bundled in many big/popular distros. Well then, try to grab an official distro theme source. I guess it won't be easy.

-->This is far the help I can provide for that RH/Freedesktop egg.<--

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: