Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Redundant routing between the same nets?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Redundant routing between the same nets? Reply with quote

Hi.

Here's the simplified scenario:

1. I have two physical networks, each has a VLAN connected by a physical router.
  2. There are firewall rules regarding traffic between the networks.
  3. Each physical network/vlan has physical boxes on it.
  4. I have a VM host which has VLAN trunking to the switch, it resides on both networks.
  5. I have VMs on the host which belong to one VLAN or the other.

So the question is, if I have VM guest A and VM guest B on the same VM host, can I have a second route between the two VLANs which exists only on the VM host and which short-circuits traffic to the physical router? One that would exist only for the VMs and not the physical hosts?

I know the "correct" answer is no, but I don't like that answer. VM-to-VM traffic on the same host is incredibly faster than 1 gbps.

My ideal situation would be to have a virtual router that replicates the physical one right down to the firewall rules.

Does anyone have a way to do this?

Thanks.
papahuhn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could replicate the firewall rules manually and set up host routes via the virtual router on every VM towards any other VM on the other network. I wonder if the firewall throughput on the virtual router will exceed 1G, though.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed some time back that network transfers of large files between two VMs on the same host and on the same VLAN had transfer speeds that were sometimes in excess of the speed a direct copy from drive to drive, or to two different places on the physical drive if that's the way the VMs were set up.

Some experimenting later, and I discovered that the times the speed was in excess was when the data had already been accessed recently and was cached in memory.

I have not yet tried transferring within the VM host between two guests on different VLANs where there is a virtual router, even with no filter rules. I'm not really set up for it.

My question relates to whether I would have the typical problems with multiple routes to the same network as would happen if I had physical routers hooked up the same way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: