[XFCE] Firefox 34.0.5 no longer using Thunar as filemanager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aphax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: [XFCE] Firefox 34.0.5 no longer using Thunar as filemanager Reply with quote

Firefox is currently launching Nautilus everytime I try to open the container folder for a file I've downloaded, which is really annoying because I run XFCE and it replaces Thunar as my desktop handler as well (so I keep having to 'killall nautilus').

This is an issue I had before that's pretty common and has hundreds of hits on Google and I solved it long ago by editing mimeapps.list and specifying "Thunar.desktop" for the inode/directory entry. This has worked fine until recently (I believe after I updated Firefox, but I'm not sure) and I have no idea how to fix it this time. I've double checked that my mimeapps.list still has Thunar.desktop as my inode/directory handler, and I've made sure Thunar is selected with 'exo-preferred-applications'.

I can always remove Nautilus I suppose, but I still use a small number of Gnome3 applications which depend on it so I would prefer to only do this if there's no other alternative.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The xdg-mime command adds two entries to ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, so, just to be sure I understand what you wrote, were you adding two entries or one entry when you edited the mimeapps.list file manually?

For example, on my main laptop running KDE, when I used the xdg-mime command to make Firefox use the Dolphin file manager, the first entry was inserted at the bottom of the existing list under [Added Associations] and the second entry was inserted at the bottom of the existing list under [Default Applications].

Code:
$ diff ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list ~/mimeapps.list.bak
64d63
< inode/directory=kde4-dolphin.desktop
89d87
< inode/directory=kde4-dolphin.desktop

If I manually added only one of those two entries, Firefox would not open the file manager I had specified in mimeapps.list. Both entries have to be present in mimeapps.list.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Aphax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I forgot to check for the second entry while trying to figure this but, but it does seem to be present; I have both entries under each section in my ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
dweezil-n0xad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=266600
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: