KDE desktop missing after kdm login [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: KDE desktop missing after kdm login [Solved] Reply with quote

Hi after a recent re-installation of NVIDIA driver, the KDE desktop became missing after I login via KDM. I looked at the /var/log/kdm.log file and found the following errors:
Loading extension GLX
Loading extension NV-GLX
Loading extension NV-CONTROL
Loading extension XINERAMA
klauncher(29684) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
kdmgreet(29678)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed: "Not connected to D-Bus server"

kdmgreet(29678)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): No time zone information obtained from ktimezoned
setversion 1.4 failed: Permission denied

I checked the status of dbus and it had already started. In addition, firefox and gnuplot have stopped working. Both commands would just hang without any warning or error message.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem are appreciated.

Last edited by helio on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

is there a dbus group to which you can add the user who open an X session?
helio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, is this dbus group something new? I don't remember adding users to the dbus group and the kde desktop used to work just fine. I can give this a try.

Logicien wrote:
Hello,

is there a dbus group to which you can add the user who open an X session?
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, this should not be needed. Maybe add the dbus flag to the global USE variable in /etc/portage/make.conf followed by emerge world may help if not already done. This Dbus server is so important for a lot of graphical things that some none X applications ask to connect to it sometimes.
wjb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also see those error messages - every startup it looks like. It's not affecting my KDE desktop at all.

What do you mean by "the KDE desktop became missing" - black screen, kde-wallpaper only, console prompt, or something else?

Any errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
helio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean after I login via kdm there is kde-wallpaper only but none of the desktop icons or panels shows up in the wallpaper. The mouse cursor can still move, but there is nothing to click to in the blank wallpaper.

Maybe the problem is not related to those error messages in kdm.log.

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log there is actually no error (EE) at all. Someone in the forum suggested that the desktop process was stuck due to a running "nvidia-settings" process but after killing the process the desktop icons still didn't show up.

wjb wrote:
I also see those error messages - every startup it looks like. It's not affecting my KDE desktop at all.

What do you mean by "the KDE desktop became missing" - black screen, kde-wallpaper only, console prompt, or something else?

Any errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
wjb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given you have some sort of desktop and no X issues, I''d start by assuming kde config is the problem. Try killing kdm
Code:
# /etc/init.d/kdm stop

then move your kde settings to a safe place
Code:
$ mv .kde4 .kde4-saved

then reboot - kde will recreate a clean setup and if you get any sort of functioning desktop the problem is down to the kde settings. If so, you can probably move the important bits over from the saved stuff (while kdm is stopped).

If there's no real difference, I'd kind of suspect nvidia - they've dropped a load of video cards from the ones they support for driver versions >340.
helio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, wjb, I tried all the suggestions, yet I didn't see the difference.

However, your suggestions did inspire the solution. It turns out that the nvidia driver maintained by portage was pulled in and installed by emerge accidentally, whereas I have actually been using or intending to use the proprietary nvidia driver installed manually because the portage-version of nvidia driver never worked in the past. By un-emerging the portage-version of nvidia driver and re-installing the proprietary nvidia driver, the working kde desktop is back and the problem is gone.

wjb wrote:
Given you have some sort of desktop and no X issues, I''d start by assuming kde config is the problem. Try killing kdm
Code:
# /etc/init.d/kdm stop

then move your kde settings to a safe place
Code:
$ mv .kde4 .kde4-saved

then reboot - kde will recreate a clean setup and if you get any sort of functioning desktop the problem is down to the kde settings. If so, you can probably move the important bits over from the saved stuff (while kdm is stopped).

If there's no real difference, I'd kind of suspect nvidia - they've dropped a load of video cards from the ones they support for driver versions >340.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: