Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Run DE without ConsoleKit and dbus?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Localhost-29A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: [Solved] Run DE without ConsoleKit and dbus? Reply with quote

Hi, it seems like I need ConsoleKit because if I remove that service in my init my DE just doesn't even start after DM, but I've read that it isn't actually needed. How can I remove that service and keep my DE working?

Last edited by Localhost-29A on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. What DE? What DM?

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Localhost-29A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use SLiM as DM and I'm using awesome as " DE " but I tried to do this with Xfce4 with exactly the same results (thats why I thought that wasn't relevant).
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have experience with that combination, but setting -consolekit globally followed by emerge -auND world should do it.

I don't know how awesome will react to this, but if nothing needs it emerge -ac should clean up the mess. (I expect there shouldn't be a problem.)

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Localhost-29A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I disable ConsoleKit (with Xfce4 or awesome, it doesn't really matter) DE lands me to a black screen for ever, but in both of its installation manuals it tells that ConsoleKit is an option.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... It doens't make sense for there to be a useflag on a required option. Are you building slim without consolkit support, or just killing the process?

I know lxdm will do it and kdm could even do it the last time I tested those. This information is almost two years old.

Localhost-29A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did:
Code:
sudo rc-update del consolekit default

It might be very stupid but it looked legit to me. Should I do something different?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good first step. The problem is that some programs still expect consolekit and will just wait. That is why you need to rebuild at least slim with USE="-consolekit" so it doesn't go looking for what doesn't exist.

tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Certainly, you can... Reply with quote

Of you can start any X session without *kit crap. Your issue seems in SLiM because you can configure how SLiM laucn any WM. I don't recall well which file to edit... it might `/etc/slim.conf' or something. Anyway, you can configure exactly how to launch a WM, which terminal application to use and much more. I guess your SLiM configuration file has that consolekit/polkit or whatever combination and block launching any WM.

Read the tips and tricks in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Enlightenment which you can totally adapt to Awesome. You can start by removing XDM init service and edit your ~/.xinitrc (following the previous tips) and see what happen... It should *just works(TM)*!
Localhost-29A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@The Doctor: Thanks, you solved my problem, all I needed was to rebuild the system adding " -consolekit " to the USE Flags.

@tclover: thanks for the tips and tricks you recommend, I will dig into that, since I want to use just the things I need.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: