Fatal server error: no screens found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Fatal server error: no screens found Reply with quote

I was happy with my system running for about a year with systemd and Xfce for my desktop. Now, after a shutdown it will not load the gui any more. I am pretty sure that I did a system update and that may be where I messed up. I've tried going back through some of my past forum posts but am not able to come up with a starting place to trouble shoot this problem. It comes up to a login screen and I can login as my user or as root. Just not sure how to proceed from here. Startx and startxfce4 both give the same error. There is also a warning that states:
Code:
This server has a video driver ABI version of 15.0 that is not supported by this NVIDIA driver. Please check http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X server with a supported driver ABI.

I am going to try to emerge nvidia-drivers to start with and see what that produces.
I will post back.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm screwed. Driver update did not help even though it updated. Tried to update my kernel, but the configuration was overwhelming. Have to give this a rest. Don't know what to try next.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2,

Not at all.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
 ... or downgrade to an X server with a supported driver ABI.

The nVidia binary blob is not keeping up with Xorg. The Xorg you have is not compatible with the nVidia binary blob you have.
You need to downgrade your X server until nVidia catch up.

You might try the testing nvidia-drivers if you don't use that already (and there is one).

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And did downgrading xorg like the message said help?

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound very elementary, but it has been a year since I had last visited the forum, and my skills were not that good then. Even more rusty now. How do I downgrade the xorg? I had something like xorg-0.1.4-something, and emerged to get xorg-1.5.0, which is what I have now, I believe. How does one downgrade? And what version should I go for? The nvidia-driver upgraded to 304.123 which must be the latest. The video card is an Nvidia Quadro 580. Is there a file that I need to edit to get the downgrade?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first it would be prudent to do a google search and find that version 1.14.5 is the latest stable version of 14 then do emerge -1auv =x11-base/xorg-server-1.14.5 Once that completes you may need to rebuild you xorg based drivers again (emerge -av1 $(qlist -IC x11-drivers/*))

If that works, then it would be prudent to mask the higher versions of xorg-server

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Doctor. Very strange. When I performed the rebuild, it told me that the nvidia driver rebuild failed. I tried to wgetpaste some info from the emerge, but it said that it received nothing. Trying to do the same for the build log, I was told Permission denied. And I was doing that as root.

However, your suggestions did work. After a shutdown -r now, it hesitated when the login prompt came up as before, but then before I could login, it loaded my desktop environment. I don't know how stable this is or if I need to do anything else with regard to that.

I do have one other problem, though, and that may be a topic for another thread. I tried to upgrade my kernel also, but my grub2 splash screen shows version 3.12.6 and I had emerged version 3.16.5. Should I address this in another thread? Probably so, I am thnking.

Anyway, thank you for getting me this far. Switching to my primary box and getting off this laptop. ;)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2,

It will remain stable until you do a world update again.
To prevent emerge from updating xorg, you need to use your package.mask file.

I would suggest a versioned entry, so you don't accidently get stuck in the past.
Then you can add newer versions as the need arises.

Read
Code:
man portage
for the syntax and some worked examples.

When you add a new kernel, grub needs to know about it. I don't use grub2, so I don't know how to do that.
Don't take too much notice of the splash screen. Use
Code:
uname -a
to ask the runnitg kernel about itself.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NeddySeagoon,

So I take it that I add >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.14.5 in my package.mask to make it safe from a world update.

Anyway, I have run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg and it has found two kernel images. I will see what happens when I reboot. Hopefully, I'll be where I want to be. Thanks.

[Edit} Well, that didn't work for the kernel part. I am running 3.12.6 and I tried to install 3.16.5, but it didn't show up in the splash screen. So it's back to the drawing board on that one. :) [/Edit]
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2,

>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.14.5 in package.mask will stop portage ever seeing versions 1.14.5 and above until you change the mask.
One day you will get a message that no suitable versions of x11-base/xorg-server can be found.

If you use =x11-base/xorg-server-1.14.5, that will stop version 1.14.5 being used.
You will need other lines starting = for other versions of x11-base/xorg-server that don't work too.
However, when there is a new higher version, it will no longer be masked. You can decide at the time if you wan't to test it or not.

x11-base/xorg-server is not your problem, this mask is a work around until the nVidia binary blob catches up.

As long as you don't forget about the entries in package.mask, both ways work.
Oh! if you put a comment in package.mask, portage will print it if it wants to use one of the masked packages.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy Seagoon,

You are so right. Last night's update installed the version prior to 1.14.5. So I will go back, modify once more to get the newer version.

Thanks, it is getting clearer now. Slowly, but getting there.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2,

There is no point in trying a newer Xorg until you get a newer nvidia binary blob.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
mark2,

There is no point in trying a newer Xorg until you get a newer nvidia binary blob.

Ok, but now this is a term I've not heard before. What is a "blob"? Slang?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark2,

A binary blob is slang for any package like nvidia-drivers where you only get a binary. The source code is not released. That means only the source code holder can fix it. In your case, nvidia.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks, NeddySeagoon. That's kind of what I thought but had never heard it referred to in that manner. Guess I'm further behind the times than I thought. :)

Anyway, I've updated the kernel (I hope) following the procedure on the wiki, which is a little different from what I was used to in the handbook documentation (and I notice that that has some changes as well). So, I will see what happens now.

[Edit] Well, if there's a way to mess things up, I will find it. I followed steps in this page: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade, and the build page: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration#Build. I know I should have run the grub2-mkconfig part, but I followed the first page and told it to install and then rebooted. The make install kept telling me error, not enough space. So I deleted one older kernel version, but kept the previous one. Still gave the same error. So I moved the previous version and then make install completed. Upon reboot, my bootloader configuration still showed the former kernel versions, so I went into edit mode and changed it to use vmlinuz-3-16.5-gentoo. This brought me to a login screen but now there is no mouse or keyboard control, so I can't login. Have to figure a way to move the old kernel back into /boot just so I can try to fix this. [/Edit]

Regards,
Mark
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a while, but I have an update. I can boot my system into a command prompt after getting my kernel installed, version 3.17.7-gentoo. And I have tried to find earlier posts relating to a Fatal error with the nvidia module not being found. I know I included it in the kernel configuration since I remember having had problems with it before. But now I can't seem to find how I got around it before.

I did an emerge @preserved-rebuild and have the results posted but it is not mentioning nvidia, but "media-libs/gegl-0.2.0-r2::gentoo failed". Here is the link:
https://bpaste.net/show/642fcc48f0df.

Guess I need to start there to try deciphering this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: