why ruby?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: why ruby? Reply with quote

there is an article at http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-04/ruby_01.html (linux magazine) promoting the use of the ruby programming lang. it goes on to walk you through a couple of basics and yadda yadda. what it doesn't do is really go into why i would consider using this language. dont get me wrong, they give a couple of points about how it "just works" and seems to be more intuitive than other languages. my questions are why would i ever use this language over say, python, c++, or java, and are there any major projects in the linux community that rely heavily on ruby?
bodhidharma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Ruby is cool Reply with quote

I've messed around with Ruby. It's pretty cool because it's designed as OO from the bottom up.

The downside is it as not as mature as Perl or Python. There are a few add on libraries for it like Tk and some others but not as many as for Perl.

If you want a nice OO scripting language that is sort of Perlish and you don't require any specific addons, go for it. If you hate OO, stick with Perl or Bash. If you want more functionality than the base language, Perl and Python are better choices.

Still, Ruby is cool.
pixelwise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why ruby?
surely the answer will be as good as that to:
why perl
why python
why pike
why $favLang

it'll still boil down to "preference"
pixelwise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why ruby?
surely the answer will be as good as that to:
why perl
why python
why pike
why $favLang

it'll still boil down to "preference"
cf25
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: deep thought Reply with quote

i'f like to thank pixelwise for the deep insight in the previous post(s). i'm not asking you to convince me to use it, but i'd like to know what's cool or not so cool about it.

i seriously send thanks to bodhidharma because he actually attempted to help (and did a fine job) instead of being a wise-monkey.

based on bodhidharma's view, i may consider checking it out but probably not very intently until there is more evidence that its use is practical for more than just personal projects.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to ruby-lang.org for some more info. One of the prob is that there arent alot of books or howto's for it. You might also check out www.rubycentral.com/book > "Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers Guide".
hielvc
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: