[SOLVED] Not able to run grub2-install /dev/sda
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manu_leo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Not able to run grub2-install /dev/sda Reply with quote

Hi Expert, I am totally stuck at a point and not able to figure out how to fix the below error message. I am doing a fresh install on a Server and while running the command ' grub2-install /dev/sda' , I am getting the below error message :-

Code:
livecd ~ # grub2-install /dev/sda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub2-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels.  This is not supported yet..
grub2-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub2-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

I am not sure why is it says -
Code:
installing for the i386-pc platform

Code:
uname -a
Linux livecd 3.16.5-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Nov 13 06:29:04 UTC 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X7560 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Appreciate all your help in advance.

Last edited by manu_leo on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manu_leo wrote:
Code:

Code:
uname -a
Linux livecd 3.16.5-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Nov 13 06:29:04 UTC 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X7560 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

That should be OK if the CPU architecture is x86_64 and the machine uses PC BIOS. See http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start

GRUB2 Quick Start wrote:
grub2-install accepts a --target option to specify which CPU/Platform to install. If unspecified, grub2-install will make a guess; on amd64/x86 it will use "i386-pc" by default.

See also http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2

In my Gentoo ~amd64 PC BIOS installation:

Code:
# ls /boot/grub/
fonts     grub.cfg.20130603  grub.cfg.20140108  grub.cfg.20140401  grubenv  locale            themes
grub.cfg  grub.cfg.20131102  grub.cfg.20140226  grub.cfg.20140402  i386-pc  mybackground.png
# uname -a
Linux meshedgedx 3.17.1-gentoo-r1 #1 SMP Wed Nov 5 16:41:59 GMT 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Notice the directory /boot/grub/i386-pc/

Fitzcarraldo's blog
manu_leo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into this.

Actually, what happened is that the total HDD size is 16Tb in my server and I used fdisk to create partitions tables -boot, swap and so on. Because fdisk does not support partitioning more than 2 Tb, that is what caused the below error :-

Code:
grub2-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels.  This is not supported yet..
grub2-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..

I used parted command to do the partition and the grub2-install /dev/sda comes without any error message.

Appreciate all your help.
manu_leo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Re: Not able to run grub2-install /dev/sda Reply with quote

manu_leo wrote:
Hi Expert, I am totally stuck at a point and not able to figure out how to fix the below error message. I am doing a fresh install on a Server and while running the command ' grub2-install /dev/sda' , I am getting the below error message :-

Code:

Code:

Code:
uname -a

Appreciate all your help in advance.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2#Embedding_area_is_unusually_small
mistreated
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to post my solution to the above problem, since someone will probably find this thread searching by error message.

Symptoms were the same:
Code:

# grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels.  This is not supported yet..
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

The reason was different. Once I accidentally dd iso imange to my /dev/sda instead of USB flash drive... Yes, such things happen occasionally. :D
Despite I recreated all partitions some signatures were left on the drive. Similar thing might happen when there used to be a DOS partitioning and you are migrating to GPT.
Utility wipefs can help to view and remove these old signatures.

Code:

# wipefs /dev/sda
offset               type
----------------------------------------------------------------
0x200                gpt   [partition table]

0x8001               iso9660   [filesystem]
                     LABEL: Fedora-KDE-Live-26-1-5
                     UUID:  2017-07-05-22-12-15-00

Above you can see which image I was intending to writer to the flash drive. :) There should be gpt only, so here's the solution:
Code:

# wipefs -o 0x8001 /dev/sda
/dev/sda: 5 bytes were erased at offset 0x00008001 (iso9660): 43 44 30 30 31

# wipefs /dev/sda
offset               type
----------------------------------------------------------------
0x200                gpt   [partition table]

P.S.
wipefs won't run on the drive which has mounted partitions, so all /dev/sda* have to be unmounted in prior.
If you are booted from the livecd and running the Gentoo installation from chrooted shell, then you can refer to the Handbook (Installation/Bootloader) on how to correctly unmount /dev/sda* partitions and then go back to the Handbook (Installation/Base) if you have forgotten how to chroot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: