View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Missing applications after merging? Reply with quote

I just finished my KDE install and I installed a few things like Firefox, Thunderbird, and LibreOffice. Oddly enough, they are not on ANY menu in KDE. So why aren't these things showing up in KDE? I am now unmerging firefox and merging firefox-bin to see what happens.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any application you've installed you could find the executables with equery, e.g.
Quote:
$ equery f www-client/firefox | grep bin/
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I simply merged firefox-bin and thunderbird-bin and they showed up and worked. LibreOffice, for some reason, needed to build 34 more packages. They are building now. We will see what happens when it finishes.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.de/search?q=kde+applications+menu+site:gentoo.org
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to search and I do know how to use KDE. I have been using KDE since around 1999. I am just used to installing a program and having it there. For some reason the firefox package installs but is not visible on the menus, but furefox-bin installs and IS visible. I guess it has something to do with the way Gentoo handles things as opposed to other distros. No big deal, I believe it is solved and once I verify it I will mark the thread solved.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
I am just used to installing a program and having it there. For some reason the firefox package installs but is not visible on the menus, but furefox-bin installs and IS visible. I guess it has something to do with the way Gentoo handles things as opposed to other distros. No big deal, I believe it is solved and once I verify it I will mark the thread solved.

Sometimes you have to logout from KDE and back in again, ime, for icons to show.

If that doesn't work, then file a bug about it, since it's clearly broken. Just bear in mind it's nothing major, and search first in case it's already been reported.

Glad your KDE is finally up and running, btw ;)
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that firefox was 28.4 and firefox-bin was 31 or 32, so I believe the older package may have done things in a different way. Either way everything is showing now, but I have a new issue. I will take it to the multimedia forum though.

Oh, what do I have to do to get the network manager applet in KDE? I just realized it was missing. And while I think about it, glxgears and GL screensavers run GREAT, but I cannot enable desktop effects in KDE. Says something about the effects service not running. Is this something else I need to merge?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
Oh, what do I have to do to get the network manager applet in KDE? I just realized it was missing.

Dunno don't use it; I'm going to switch to dhcpcd and use its UI in any case. (It supports Qt and GTK and sits in the systray.)

net-misc/dhcpcd and net-misc/dhcpcd-ui are the packages in-tree (you may already have the former installed.)
Quote:
And while I think about it, glxgears and GL screensavers run GREAT, but I cannot enable desktop effects in KDE. Says something about the effects service not running. Is this something else I need to merge?

Quite likely: you have a bare KDE, minimalist as you desired. From here on in, it's up to you what you put on it. Again, something I don't use (since I find wobbly windows to be nothing more than a distraction) although I likely have it somewhere. ISTR it's sth to do with plasma but I avoid the whole area.

My advice would be to emerge -av quassel and use it for IRC: chat.freenode.net and /join #gentoo-desktop

Freenode should be the default server anyhow; make up a nick and don't use your real name for the "Real Name" field. I say quassel as if you're trying for a lean KDE you want to disable the semantic-desktop USE flag; if you have it enabled, by all means use konvi (which needs patching for later versions to avoid pulling in the semantic-craptop shebang.)

They can advise you much better, and in real-time. Don't forget #gentoo for overall support and #gentoo-chat to catch up with your fellow-users (some of whom are quite crazy, but crazy-good. ;)

Since you're up and running, now would be a good time to read some tips from other users; in particular see "the basics" at the top of the second page.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the medium install for KDE, not the unsupported one. I believe this is a programming bug. Here's what the issue appears to be.
Code:

kwin(5571) KWin::GlxBackend::init: Direct rendering: true
kwin(5571) KWin::SceneOpenGL2::slotColorCorrectedChanged: Color correction: false
kwin(5571) KWin::SceneOpenGL2::SceneOpenGL2: OpenGL 2 compositing successfully initialized
kwin(5571) KWin::currentRefreshRate: Vertical Refresh rate  60 Hz
kwin: brw_reset.c:43: brw_get_graphics_reset_status: Assertaion `brw->hw_ctx != ((void *)0)' failed

Then I get the crash handler for KWin and no effects.

*UPDATE*

Bug reports from earlier this year point to the i965 driver. Looks like it has been fixed, but maybe the patch is not pulled into Gentoo yet?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/1299499
https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=75723
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this one: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=508212 ?
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, claims to be fixed, but it isn't on my system. Is it possible that my specific hardware was not included in the patch?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: