Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which desktop environment or WM do you use?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

WM or desktop you use
Cinnamon
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Gnome
10%
 10%  [ 24 ]
Mate
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
KDE
28%
 28%  [ 68 ]
XFCE
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
LXDE
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
qtrazor
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Openbox
5%
 5%  [ 14 ]
Compiz
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
other Windows Manager/desktop
35%
 35%  [ 85 ]
Total Votes : 239

arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking file managers, I haven't found anything that could easily replace emelfm for me. It has dual panes and a built-in output/terminal window that gets used all the time for easy manipulation of any files I have browsed my way to. It is kind of broken with gtk3, but it seems like gtk3 is intentionally broken in itself, so I'm happy to use gtk2.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr wrote:
If we're talking file managers, I haven't found anything that could easily replace emelfm...

We're talking about our preferred "desktop environments", and my point was that the file manager defines my view of the system, the "desktop". So why do these surveys always ask "Which desktop do you use: ()KDE ()Openbox ..."?

Of course I've heard of emelfm and peaked at it in the past, but emelfm2 does look interesting and I'll have to give it a try as my "Desktop" :lol:
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised people mention Dolphin, without mentioning Konqueror, which is still the best KDE file-manager afaic. I have a Konqueror Profiles button next to my systray, have it set as system file manager, and haven't used Dolphin for a couple of years now. So much faster, and much more capable afaic; still, each to their own.
arnvidr wrote:
If we're talking file managers, I haven't found anything that could easily replace emelfm for me. It has dual panes and a built-in output/terminal window that gets used all the time for easy manipulation of any files I have browsed my way to.

Sounds a lot like konqui in Midnight Commander mode. (Though obviously you might not want kdelibs et al.)
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
arnvidr wrote:
If we're talking file managers, I haven't found anything that could easily replace emelfm for me. It has dual panes and a built-in output/terminal window that gets used all the time for easy manipulation of any files I have browsed my way to.

Sounds a lot like konqui in Midnight Commander mode. (Though obviously you might not want kdelibs et al.)
That's the main reason I haven't tried it. If I try to emerge it now, it needs to install 26 packages, most of them kde libs, so that's a little overkill for a file manager. If I used kde I would definitely try it.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr wrote:
That's the main reason I haven't tried it. If I try to emerge it now, it needs to install 26 packages, most of them kde libs, so that's a little overkill for a file manager. If I used kde I would definitely try it.

Sure. For me kate is the reason I stuck with KDE through the awful semantic-craptop saga in 4.x; and basically once you have kdelibs you have kate, since the KTextEditor part is common.

But I understand that for some people, it's like GNOME is for me. ;-) And Gentoo is about choice (or we'd let someone else do the compilation for us.)
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
kate is the reason

I completely agree that it is essential to have a good editor which adapts to your habbits (and not vice versa).
For this reason, I thought many (20? or even longer) years ago writing my own editor. My requirements were: Should be easily adaptable to all systems, should have no memory or other limits (at the time of x86 a major point), should be easy to extend.
After evaluating existing solutions, I decided that it is perhaps simplest and most compatible to build my editor on top of a programmable configurable editor which runs on all systems: emacs.
I spent then about 2 months learning emacs and writing my own editor "on top" of it, and I think this time was spent wisely:
Although I do not like the original look-and-feel of emacs at all, it happens now that (with many hand-crafted files read by ~/.emacs) emacs has now become a very convenient powerful editor for me. A typical emacs user would not be able to work with my customization of emacs, of course.
Long story short: This is the reason why I do not need things like kate...
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll is definitely missing fvwm.
I have been using fvwm (with my own configuration built on some of redhats very old one) for many years, switched for my parent's PC to kde until the semantic-desktop disaster was no longer optional in gentoo, then switched back to fvwm. Meanwhile I adapted fvwm-crystal to something which is very similar to my original fvwm configuration but in contrast to my original one also supports some of the new faildesktop stuff, so I stay with this (although actually there is not much of a difference)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree that it is essential to have a good editor which adapts to your habits (and not vice versa).

After evaluating existing solutions, I decided that it is perhaps simplest and most compatible to build my editor on top of a programmable configurable editor which runs on all machines I own, on the desktop I've been using for over 15 years: kate.

Long story short: this is the reason why I do not need things like emacs, vim, gvim, xemacs, nor religious debates about them.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
nor religious debates about them.

I did not intend to start one, I just wanted to describe what happened to me.
At the time when I was deciding about the editor, it was long before kate existed, even long before linux became reasonably usable: It was important to me that emacs could be installed under win3.1 and - more important - under dos without any memory limitations, and it did run as well under unix terminals as well as under the sun machines at the university - this vi thing appeared unbearable to me. At least at this time, there was no comparable alternative to emacs or to writing a new editor from scratch. And now that I have written "my" editor in emacs lisp, I have no reason to switch ever.

Edit: Actually, I learnt a lot from this discussion: I did not even know that kate was programmable.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
The poll is definitely missing fvwm.

+1, imho still the best thing since sliced bread, if only there was a decent tiling mode(Piazza never worked for me or I just didn't understand it).
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawfish for me. Once I've discovered that I can bind keys for manipulating windows (sizing moving etc.) + zen theme, since then, it is my favorite. And I still don't know why one needs file manager 8)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v_andal wrote:
And I still don't know why one needs file manager 8)

I agree, when I left lxde for just openbox I also got rid of pcmanfm (not a bad fm) and just installed emelfm2.
But the number of times I've used either of them in the last year could be counted on one hand and have finger left over.

I simply call up a term and do whatever.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I simply call up a term and do whatever.

Me too; I just hit F12 and yakuake drops down instantaneously.

However when I want a file-manager, Konqueror beats the pants off Dolphin, for me at least. I stuck with the latter for a year or so in 4.x, but when I gave up on semantic-craptop, it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't like the nu-fangled FM either, so switched back in System Settings, and ever since I've felt much more productive.

Reminds me of the old days, when it was common-currency amongst PHP devs, that the "best IDE" was in fact a KDE desktop, with konqui + fish, and kwrite.

I didn't get into kate over kwrite til a few years later.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
fish

Are you serious? Do you really mean app-shells/fish?
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
steveL wrote:
fish

Unlikely :P
…but what's wrong with app-shells/fish?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
…but what's wrong with app-shells/fish?

I don't know whether something is wrong with it: It seems to be intentionally non-standard which is not a good sign, and so I never tried. I might be good, nevertheless, that's why I was asking. It didn't come to my miind that SteveL was just referring to some protocoll when he spoke about software.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:

Yes, and no, I mean the fish:// protocol handler in KDE from about 2000. It's actually ssh.

edit: ah I see Dr. Willy linked it. Cool. :-)
tonkazoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM: bspwm
If i had to use a DE: XFCE
dkstanson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got tired of Windows, and GNOME becomes my first choice when I choose to work with a Linux machine full time.
ktimenee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use awesomebox window manager, no desktop environment
WWWW
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love fluxbox but recently got bloating infection with some gtk-messages. I remember the time it was only 700kb the tar but now it has this wierdo dependencies to GTK. If I wanted some bloated gtk I'd install a gtk bloat but why on earth must flubox have a hard dependency with gtk?

Because I wanted the lightest package out there I went on searching for some WM that was configurable as fluxbox but to my surprise ALL *box WM's have this shit dependency with gtk-message or something.

I really miss fluxbox. Looking the lightest WM I had to settle with windowmaker. Coming from fluxbox windowmaker strikes as a little bit odd. wmaker config files in a non-hidden folder?? That sticks out like sore in the eyeball, eve more with the caps GNUstep.

The other reason I had to give up fluxbox is due to a crazy bug that doesn't spice protocol allow to open an window. There's a patch lying around but I am too lazy to fix it.

Anybody got a suggestion for fluxbox substitute?

thanks.
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWWW wrote:

Anybody got a suggestion for fluxbox substitute?

thanks.

twm :wink:

(I still have it installed for use with .xinitrc and startx, in case of WM troubles. It's nice to have this amazing piece of antique around.)
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWWW wrote:
If I wanted some bloated gtk I'd install a gtk bloat but why on earth must flubox have a hard dependency with gtk?
Why do you think fluxbox depends on gtk? I cannot find it does.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using KDE on my desktop, and a light-weight Openbox setup on my laptop. The latter is what I'm using at the moment, so that's what I voted for.
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWWW wrote:
Looking the lightest WM I had to settle with windowmaker. Coming from fluxbox windowmaker strikes as a little bit odd. wmaker config files in a non-hidden folder?? That sticks out like sore in the eyeball, eve more with the caps GNUstep.

There was a discussion on this recently in the GNUstep (ouch!) mailing list...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: