Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which desktop environment or WM do you use?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

WM or desktop you use
Cinnamon
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Gnome
10%
 10%  [ 24 ]
Mate
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
KDE
28%
 28%  [ 68 ]
XFCE
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
LXDE
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
qtrazor
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Openbox
5%
 5%  [ 14 ]
Compiz
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
other Windows Manager/desktop
35%
 35%  [ 85 ]
Total Votes : 239

amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorsai! wrote:
(btw@TO: razor-qt is now lxqt and lxde is dead)....

I just visited http://lxde.org and found out LXDE continues bringing updates to GTK version:
check this post from November 18, 2014 (today)
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceWM
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use i3, but I like OpenBox and Enlightenment, as well.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that KDE and and other are the most popular options with 14 while gnome is at 5. Gnome and KDE are supposed to be about on par with each other and the most popular choice.

Apparently, Gentoo's users are not too fond of Gnome.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@The Doctor

...hmm I wonder why.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
The systemd-route of the gnome project might or might not have to do something with that... 8)
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using gnome for a period after I first came to gentoo in 2004, but have been using openbox for about 7 or 8 years now I think. Been meaning to try out E17 though (or E18/19 or whatever it'll be when I try). Tried the old E16 before some years before E17 released, but it never clicked with me.
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to Gnome3 about a year ago to see what all the fuss was about (not just the Gnome fuss, the systemd fuss as well). I quite like it, but I don't use most of the DE integration thingies it has. I used fluxbox before and that was fine.
Z12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems awesome is not as much popular as i thought. I use it though.

The Doctor wrote:
I find it interesting that KDE and and other are the most popular options with 14 while gnome is at 5. Gnome and KDE are supposed to be about on par with each other and the most popular choice.

If i'm not mistaken, a lot of gentoo users are here because they don't want either systemd or bloated software. If anything, gnome is both bloated and depend on systemd
I liked gnome 2, but the path they took for gnome 3 was not suitable for my taste at all. I don't know about recent versions, but the early ones felt like working with a over sized tablet i.e. windows 8.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be like early KDE and Gnome for a while, but I moved away from Gnome mostly because of how Gnome 3 looks when came out. KDE for me just takes too long to compile, or was for my old computer (usually was a 24+ hr compile for KDE). So I've moved to XFCE for now, and will probably stay with this one for a while; unless some other WM catches my eye.
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From time to time I try some niche WMs like musca or i3, but I always fall back to Openbox. Every other WM I tried had some tiny something that got in my way.
Not that I use the WM that much, actually: I usually use each window full-screen in its own virtual desktop, and with Openbox I can create and destroy desktops easily.
seoneal7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectrwm for tiling (desktoppy)
Pekwm for stacking (lappy-toppy)
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
The systemd-route of the gnome project might or might not have to do something with that... 8)

Probably. I just didn't want to say it. :wink:

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use dwm
Was the first DE/WM I used and I stuck with it.
I have tried others and am open to try new ones
Atmmac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE since 2007. I do miss 3.5 sometimes although 4 has come a long way since the 2008 disaster. Looking forward to plasma 5.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atmmac wrote:
KDE since 2007. I do miss 3.5 sometimes although 4 has come a long way since the 2008 disaster. Looking forward to plasma 5.

Yeah KF should be better, as they've discovered modularity.. so hopefully it should be easier to make it work in more "niche" situations (ie the way you want it, as opposed to the way someone else decided.)

3.5.x was a sweet spot I agree; 4.9.x was finally when I started feeling okay with it again, mainly as by then I'd got rid of semantic-craptop, and "Attach as Tab" arrived to obviate the lunatic taskbar.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwm
Dorsai!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amulet_linux wrote:
Dorsai! wrote:
(btw@TO: razor-qt is now lxqt and lxde is dead)....

I just visited http://lxde.org and found out LXDE continues bringing updates to GTK version:
check this post from November 18, 2014 (today)

Yes, I read this on a News Site just an hour or so after I wrote my last post. I think it's great as long as there is demand for it and there are developers who like to continue it, why not.
swathe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i3 for me.
10w.st
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used every one of them at some point, each has a good side and a bad side.
Cinnamon looks nice, but lacks some configuration options. Gnome also sometimes looks nice.
I like the gdm from mate, couldn't get into the rest of the DE though, it's just like gnome 2.
KDE is the most configurable one and the one with most features, but is huge. Has a great filemanager.
XFCE I liked before there was compositor, which I didn't like. Fast and stable, but filemanager lacks a feature or two.
I've seen razor too, very lightweight and small but I dislike the xml config. Best used with fluxbox.
Compiz is a great design tool, but for any gpu intensive work is too resource hungry for a wm.
Other is what I currently use, is a combination of flux, gtk2 and qt4.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr wrote:
I was using gnome for a period after I first came to gentoo in 2004, but have been using openbox for about 7 or 8 years now I think. Been meaning to try out E17 though (or E18/19 or whatever it'll be when I try). Tried the old E16 before some years before E17 released, but it never clicked with me.
E17 was quite nice. E18 and E19 are quite a bit of a disaster in comparison. Part of the reason I think was that they were rewritten, and so introduced more bugs, especially in window management.
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lxde for the moment. The only thing I am missing from enlightenment is a cpu-freq front end that allows setting both speed and governor.
Xfce's doesn't work and gkrellm's only allows you to set the speed while setting the governor to userspace.
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other Windows Manager/desktop: i3

I really like the slim, fast and keybinding driven WM. :D
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like so many other Gentoo folk I voted for the Other category. My "other" is fluxbox / rox. I think the poll conflates two dimensions of the "desktop environment": window manager and file manager. It seems to me that it takes the two working together to approximate the power of the unix shell. I realize that a lot of us, especially Gentoo experts, use the window manager as a pretty way to open a shell. Ranger makes a great DE. I get a lot done in konsole or roxterm.

I love some aspects of Gnome; they at least promised to make it a "shell", but it falls short of even the "shell" power of rox filer. For example, let's say I have a rox window showing my FreeBSD documentation and I want to open the file "handbook.pdf". In my setup if I click on the icon it will open in mupdf, which is VERY fast and has excellent font rendering. But for now I want to open it in okular: since rox is a shell environment it integrates nicely with the shell so I just type the following sequence to open my file in okular: /ha<TAB><ESC>;okular<RETURN>

In other words rox has a minibuffer in which I can type shell commands that operate on the selection. It has modes (think vim) for traversing the file system using the keyboard and for entering shell commands. The sequence above used "/" to enter the "file selection" mode, ESC to exit that mode, and ";" to enter the shell command mode. These are my own key assignments.

OK, too much detail but I hope that it gets the bare idea across that the file manager defines my working environment. My workflow and my view of the system remains pretty much unchanged whether I use fluxbox, openbox, kwin, or xmonad for the window manager.

KDE's Dolphin file manager comes in second for me. It is possible to open a shell in a panel and have the shell's PWD track the directory shown in the "files" (icons) panel. It's very nice.

So my request is THIS --> Someone give me a modernized rox filer like file manager that is modular (does not require kde, gnome, systemd, etc.) and provides
o A panel with full drag and drop support for apps (.desktop files), files, mount points, urls, applets.
o A desktop background showing minimized windows (and everything the panel can show).
o Ability to assign a keyboard shortcut to any icon on the panel or desktop.
o A simple Finder-like window that shows the files as icons with thumbnail previews.
o For extra credit give me a Gnome-like handling of the Meta key that shows me the workspace overview and leaves my cursor in a search/launch box.
o For extra credit allow me to have a mini-panel, a "shelf", in the filer window (maybe as a "tool" in the toolbar) that changes as I traverse the directory tree, hence always showing the apps that I use in different sections of the system, in different projects, right there "on the shelf" of my file manager.
o Use either gtk3 or qt5 but nothing else.

ROX already provides most of this and is the best DE I can come up with for now...
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
E17 was quite nice. E18 and E19 are quite a bit of a disaster in comparison. Part of the reason I think was that they were rewritten, and so introduced more bugs, especially in window management.

I like E17, but my main terminal emulator, Sakura, has quite buggy scrolling in it for some reason.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: