Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Lightdm + DWM, autostart programs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixculpa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Lightdm + DWM, autostart programs? Reply with quote

Hello. Not sure how to autostart programs using dynamic window manager and lightdm to login. My .xinitrc file is run fine if startx is used instead to start dwm and the autostart stuff. If lightdm is used nothing in .xinitrc is read or run. Lightdm uses xdm... so if I had to guess it has something to do with that. I copied my .xinitrc to a .xsession file but that doesn't work either, but these measures are mostly guesswork. I even put my .xinitrc contents (minus "exec dwm") into ~/.dwm/dwmrc and my wallpaper gets set that way but it doesn't seem like anything else gets run.

.xinitrc
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
urxvtd --quiet --opendisplay --fork &
hsetroot -center ~/Pictures/Wallpapers/31.jpg &
~/.dwm/dwmrc &
[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources &
[[ -z $(pgrep -xU $UID mpdas) ]] && mpdas &
compton -cCf &
sleep 1s && pcmanfm --daemon &
unclutter -idle 4 -jitter 3 -noevents &
xscreensaver -no-splash &
exec dwm

I want to use lightdm because it seems to set up proper user permission settings so that things like udisks (e.g. mounting and writing onto USB sticks) just works. I will fiddle around some more, as I suspect I might have forgotten to remove ~/.dwm/dwmrc & when I copied it to ~/.dwm/dwmrc resulting in what I imagine as some kind of infinite loop. Even if that works though I am suspicious that is not the correct way to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Edit:
Looks like I was right. I had forgotten to remove ~/.dwm/dwmrc & from the file of the same name when I copied over the contents of the .xinitrc file. DWM automatically parses that file and I had accidentally caused a loop. Everything works now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: