View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biocore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: wine is not loading anything Reply with quote

i've a problem w/ wine on running windows games and almost every kind of application. it always gave me

Code:
Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x0064bdff).

and everything stops working. i tried everything: skyrim, prototype, cs global offensive, fallout, shank... and i always get that error.

I tried refreshing the windows workplace, deleting and creating a new 32bit one instead of a 64.

directx libraries are installed, and so it's net framework.

solutions guys? thank you for your support
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may try something old or antique, skyrim and others sounds very very new for wine.

wine afaik works quite well for old software, aka 6 years old but for newer things it may work or may not work.

i did not bother much anymore because most of the stuff never worked for me in the past.

there is also a way to install a virtualbox where you install windows in it, so you may play windows games in that emulation. i never did that but it may be possible afaik

other thing is that steam for linux may support a few games now... worth a try to check out whats there
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd suspect some kind of a local problem - wine shouldn't be trivially dieing even on the recent stuff.

As the exact reasons vary depending on apps/hardware, it's dificult to say more.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, biocore!

Is this

biocore wrote:
Code:
Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x0064bdff).

really all that you get? I would guess (and hope) that there is more, and if so, please, post the whole output from a terminal where you run the application in.

Another thing I would suggest you to test if you already haven't, is native games. Be it via Steam or not, see (or tell us) if you have issues with those as well.

biocore wrote:
directx libraries are installed, and so it's net framework.

How exactly did they get installed?

As for what Wine can and can not do...

tw04l124 wrote:
i did not bother much anymore because most of the stuff never worked for me in the past.

It's unfortunate that you had such experiences with Wine, but for someone who only used it in the past, you seem pretty quick to tell everyone else to not bother either. That's how it seems at least, be it your intention or not. ^^;

I mentioned this in one other thread already where you suggested the same sort of stuff, but I'll say it again: for your information, Wine works very well for many things. I actually can not think of anything that I had major issues with, aside from games that require DirectX 11 which is to be expected since there is no support for that at all (yet).

Skyrim, for example, has AppDB ratings going from Gold to Silver to Platinum, which means it should work very well indeed, perhaps even out-of-the-box in some cases. Sometimes a tweak or few might be required, or there may be minor issues which don't interfere with playing the game. That's just something I gathered from a quick look-see over at their site, not personal experiences.

Perhaps you should give Wine another try yourself. If not, it would probably behoove us all if when you provide support for Wine-users, you clearly state that you have no experience on the status of current Wine. :]

As for Steam, I dare say it supports quite a bit more than a “few” games nowadays. According to an unofficial source (https://steamdb.info/linux/), products that are confirmed to work are at 739, and there are 203 products that have hints of Linux support.

Please don't take this personal or in any way that would upset anyone. I guess I simply dislike seeing statements that suggest Wine doesn't work when it has done so well for me, which simply can not be just pure luck. ^^

Blubb!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: