View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Distributions using eudev Reply with quote

This thread catalogs all distributions using eudev as the default device manager.

We can also use this thread to collect positive feedback about eudev, to keep the developers motivated and attract new programmers to the project.

1. AUSTRUMI switched to eudev in March 2013 (see package list for the 2.6.8 release).

2. Parted Magic switched to eudev in August 2013.

3. Entropy GNU/Linux switched to eudev in September 2013 (see package list, switch date confirmed via email with the lead developer).

4. Sabotage Linux (desktop edition) switched to eudev in September 2013 (see this commit).

5. Quirky (experimental version of Puppy Linux) switched to eudev in December 2013.

6. 0linux switched to eudev in February 2014 (see base packages for the eta release).

7. Linux From Scratch (standard version) switched to eudev in March 2014 (see this commit).

8. Vine Linux switched to eudev in June 2014.

9. Funtoo Linux switched to eudev in June 2014.

10. motionEyeOS has used eudev since the initial release in July 2014 (see this commit, particularly the line BR2_ROOTFS_DEVICE_CREATION_DYNAMIC_EUDEV=y).

11. CRUX switched to eudev in July 2014.

12. Kwort switched to eudev in July 2014 (see package list for the 4.1 release).

13. CruxEx switched to eudev in July 2014 (see package list for the 3.1 release).

14. Void Linux switched to eudev in July 2014 (see this commit).

15. Guix System Distribution switched to eudev in September 2014.

16. NuTyX switched to eudev in October 2014 (see system packages for the Saravane release).

17. Puppy Linux (Ubuntu-based version) switched to eudev in October 2014 (see package list for the 6.0 tahrpup release).

18. OSMC switched to eudev in November 2014 (see this commit).

19. Manjaro Linux (OpenRC edition) has used eudev since the initial release in December 2014.

20. Cisco Expressway switched to eudev in December 2014 (no announcement; compare license info for version 8.2.1, which mentions udev, and license info for version 8.5, which mentions eudev).

21. Recalbox switched to eudev in January 2015 (see this commit).

22. 4MLinux switched to eudev in March 2015 (see package list for the 11.1 release).

23. Calculate Linux switched to eudev in April 2015.

24. Enterprise Storage OS switched to eudev in May 2015.

25. Alpine Linux (desktop edition) switched to eudev in July 2015.

26. Obarun has used eudev since the initial release in July 2015 (see package list).

27. AgiliaLinux switched to eudev in August 2015.

28. TLD Linux switched to eudev in August 2015 (see announcement on the tld-devel mailing list for release date).

29. Unity Linux switched to eudev in September 2015 (see this commit).

30. Slackware switched to eudev in November 2015.

31. Dracos Linux has used eudev since the initial release in December 2015 (see base packages for the 0.1.0 release).

32. TriOS GNU/Linux switched to eudev in January 2016.

33. Zenwalk switched to eudev in January 2016 (see package list for the 8.0-beta2 release, same packages were used in beta1).

34. Pisi Linux switched to eudev in January/February 2016 (see package list for the 2.0-alpha7 release).

35. antiX switched to eudev in February 2016.

EDIT: antiX switched back to udev in April 2016.

35. Gentoo Linux switched to eudev in February/March 2016 (see this commit).

36. OpenEmbedded switched to eudev in March 2016 (see this commit).

37. unRAID Server OS switched to eudev in March 2016.

38. Area31 RescueCD has used eudev since the initial release in March 2016 (see package list).

39. SlackEx switched to eudev in April 2016 (see package list for the 14.2 release).

40. ArchBang (OpenRC edition) has used eudev since the initial release in April 2016.

41. Slackel switched to eudev in April 2016 (see package list for the 6.0.5 release).

42. Porteus switched to eudev in May 2016.

43. Porteus Kiosk switched to eudev in May 2016 (see package list for the 4.0.0 release).

44. PrRescue switched to eudev in June 2016 (see package list for the 0.45 release).

45. Salix switched to eudev in June 2016 (see package list for the 14.2-beta1 release).

46. Devil-Linux switched to eudev in June 2016 (see package list for the 1.8.0-rc1 release).

47. Smoothwall Express switched to eudev in July 2016 (see this commit, included in version 3.1 update 8).

Last edited by Ottre on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:26 pm; edited 62 times in total
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Distributions using eudev Reply with quote

Ottre wrote:
This thread catalogues all distributions using eudev.

We can also collect positive feedback about eudev, to keep the developers motivated and attract new programmers to the project.

Great idea. I had no idea other distros were using eudev. Good one :-)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we still don't use eudev as default...
(It's not a problem as any gentoo users knows howto manage their packages and use an alternative to a default package, but just for the message sent to other distros).
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find any news items or mailing list posts about it, but Void Linux also comes with eudev installed by default. It must have happened when they switched to runit as their init system.

Screencap from a fresh install:

https://i.imgur.com/cFziZef.png
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it seems to be a bad word around here, but Funtoo uses eudev by default as well. The switch was done a few months ago. :)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's great news, guys :) It's grand that eudev is being used cross-distro, as it means more cross-platform collaboration, which is better for the software, and all of us.

krinn wrote:
And we still don't use eudev as default...
(It's not a problem as any gentoo users knows howto manage their packages and use an alternative to a default package, but just for the message sent to other distros).

Well I think the intent was that you could use either openrc or systemd.

There's less of a case for that now that systemd has subsumed udev, so that if users want to run openrc going forward, our only choice is to use eudev. As such there's now a good case for gentoo to switch to eudev in the base stages. Since all it takes to switch to systemd is to install systemd, and let portage handle the dependencies (under a systemd profile); much like now.

It would certainly be less work during the build, I'm willing to bet. It would also be more attractive as an end-product with the switch so simple: just select a profile and off you go.

After that it's just an implementation matter to make the switch work, which systemd users and maintainers would presumably want to go smoothly. I'm guessing the conflicts are already in place, and if not that's all they'd need to do: provide an upgrade path that works from stage3, and spin up their own stage as a script run post-releng release.

Last edited by steveL on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
I know it seems to be a bad word around here, but Funtoo uses eudev by default as well. The switch was done a few months ago. :)

Thanks, I've confirmed with drobbins and updated the list.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux From Scratch switched to eudev in March this year, but I don't know if they are still using it in preference to systemd/udev.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Linux From Scratch switched to eudev in March this year, but I don't know if they are still using it in preference to systemd/udev.
As of this writing, they are.

- John
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screencap of AUSTRUMI running in a vm, which shows they are still using eudev:

https://i.imgur.com/x7J2nCF.png

Last edited by Ottre on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:

I haven't forgotten about LFS. I'm researching the Slackware-based distros first.

EDIT: confirmed LFS is using eudev, updated list.

Last edited by Ottre on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0linux switched to systemd in May 2013, after some testing decided it was "unstable, complex and obscure" and switched back to BSD init in July 2013, and had a version of eudev in the repos by October 2013. That's probably an updated version of eudev - I think the initial version of eudev was in the repos in July, but there's no changelog to verify this.

In the OP, I listed them as switching in February 2014, since that's when the first stable release of the distro was made.
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eudev is installed by default in the standard version of Puppy Linux:

http://i.imgur.com/CsodDDH.png

Other versions of Puppy Linux are still using udev.

I booted Slacko 5.7, the Slackware-based version, and Wary 5.5, the version for older hardware in a vm to confirm this. Screencap of Slacko:

http://i.imgur.com/3JbVOSH.png
amulet_linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really interesting, great distros as LFS, Funtoo ando Crux switching mean it's good.
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eudev installed by default in Manjaro 0.8.11 OpenRC edition:

https://i.imgur.com/e0q1RGw.png

eudev was supported in Manjaro 0.8.10, released in June 2014, but there was no OpenRC edition .iso file to download, so it doesn't count.
bstaletic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Arch with open-rc+eudev built from AUR, so not officially supported.
WWWW
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah!! Gentoo holding the brutal systemd onslaught and even quietly gaining ground!!

At this point in the battle field Gentoo is the sole distro standing up against systemd monster!!

Go GENTOO crush systemd, lp and gkh!!
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWWW wrote:
woah!! Gentoo holding the brutal systemd onslaught and even quietly gaining ground!!

At this point in the battle field Gentoo is the sole distro standing up against systemd monster!!

Go GENTOO crush systemd, lp and gkh!!

I believe Slackware is still with us, and don't forget the recent Debian fork.
bstaletic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:

I believe Slackware is still with us, and don't forget the recent Debian fork.

What about Funtoo, or any other Gentoo based distro? Are any of them using eudev?
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that Debian fork has been pretty big news and really shows just how much disdain there is for systemd. Given how many people use Debian for servers, the decision to go the systemd route was insane. Honestly...how could anyone tolerate systemd on a server. It's just unimaginable to me.

I've noticed an interesting trend of this forum: For quite some time we seemed to be getting pro-systemd trolls joining the forum just to spout their "systemd haters" B.S. etc. Lately I see far more noobs that are the opposite...new folks seeking refuge from the insanity that is systemd.

Welcome all! :D

Tom
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
Yea that Debian fork has been pretty big news and really shows just how much disdain there is for systemd. Given how many people use Debian for servers, the decision to go the systemd route was insane. Honestly...how could anyone tolerate systemd on a server. It's just unimaginable to me.

I've noticed an interesting trend of this forum: For quite some time we seemed to be getting pro-systemd trolls joining the forum just to spout their "systemd haters" B.S. etc. Lately I see far more noobs that are the opposite...new folks seeking refuge from the insanity that is systemd.

Welcome all! :D

Tom

This made linuxtoday.com, today - A Devuan and A-two??? - http://www.linuxtoday.com/upload/a-devuan-and-a-two-141202215009.html

The referenced article appears to be by another systemd fanbois, but the comments are quite interesting.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
This made linuxtoday.com, today - A Devuan and A-two??? - http://www.linuxtoday.com/upload/a-devuan-and-a-two-141202215009.html

The referenced article appears to be by another systemd fanbois, but the comments are quite interesting.

FFS...this is a gem:
Quote:
Successful projects usually aren't the ones that are driven by anger or attempts to unreasonably hold onto the past.
Yea...that's what it's all about :roll:. My God these people are just clueless.

The project is being driven in large part by people who want reliable, stable, solid, secure servers that you're just never going to have with systemd along for the ride. A good portion of the people drawn to it are probably already angry about having systemd shoved up their ass.

EDIT: I see what you mean about the comments. Mostly people who seem to be in favor of the fork.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:

FFS...this is a gem:
Quote:
Successful projects usually aren't the ones that are driven by anger or attempts to unreasonably hold onto the past.

By day I'm in the silicon design business. I both use CAD stuff myself, and deploy it for my department. Good tools attract users. Sometimes it takes some educational outreach, but if it's good, they will come. One of my routine frustrations is "the standard platform."
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
Quote:

tld ... well, I wouldn't take that statement as providing anything other than anecdotal evidence ... bolstered by a negative taring. No credence should be given it, unless the burden of proof is provided (and factually proving something "driven by anger" or "unreasonably hold[ing] onto the past" are nigh impossible). Its nothing less than propaganda ("a form of communication aimed towards influencing opinion toward some position"), and as is often the case with propaganda taking a reactive stance toward it doesn't lessen its effect, as such things are meant to pass unnoticed. Its much more effective to ask for the burden of proof to be provided ... or to ignore.

best ... khay
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Guix switched to eudev: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-09/msg00251.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: