Gmail Drops Firefox 24 Support, Nothing Higher In Stable Yet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Gmail Drops Firefox 24 Support, Nothing Higher In Stable Yet Reply with quote

I got a message today that gmail has dropped support for Firefox 24.

Is anyone else at least minorly bothered by how far behind the Firefox releases are on Gentoo stable? I don't like to install unstable packages unless I absolutely have to, yet the stable here is lagging so far behind that it's starting to cause me issues with a number of websites I use.

I also want to point out that I do also have a problem with how quickly various websites are dropping support...Firefox 24 came out late in 2013, and it seems a bit crazy for gmail to not support that browser for a full year.

I hate being squeezed between two opposing forces like this, forces that I have next to no control over.

How do you all handle these sorts of things? Update to unstable?
szatox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your concern about? New firefox vs stable firefox? Or access to your emails?

You can use unsupported browser with a lot of web pages. Sometimes you have to set fake user agent, but since all websites and all web browsers speak (better or worse) html/xml/css/js etc, they are likely to work even though big-ugly-baner says it shouldn't. What they really mean is "they haven't tested it and don't know if it would work"

Second thing, why won't you use good, old-fashioned email client?
Gmail offers you SMTP for sending emails and both, POP3 and IMAP interfaces for receiving. There are shitloads of email clients, easy to configure, convenient and providing some extra benefits like local copy of all your emails or end to end encryption. And ability to work with multiple accounts at the same time, so you don't have to login to 10 web mails to retrieve those messages.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cazort wrote:
How do you all handle these sorts of things? Update to unstable?
In short, yeah. I actually agree with your perspective, both on the complaints toward Gentoo and those toward the GMail developers. On the bright side, testing branch Firefox has been rock solid for me.

- John
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, these are not major versions in traditional sense, so there is zero reason to run any older version of the browser, except ESR which is now 31 if I'm not mistaken. The proper question is why aren't newer versions in stable yet. At least the ESR can be stable'd.

I know this doesn't help, but personally I use Chromium. Firefox was my favorite browser but lately it is slow and crashy. For example opening google maps in FF is slower than a sloth on weed walking through molasses. At least for me.
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
What is your concern about? New firefox vs stable firefox? Or access to your emails?

You can use unsupported browser with a lot of web pages.

I know, and I do.

But I'm already seeing a lot of performance issues and small glitches on the various sites I use. I don't know how many of them are a function of my browser being out of date, but I think it's likely that some of them are. I use a lot of social media sites in my work, so while I don't like the bloatware of sites like Twitter, Facebook, and the Google empire, I'm stuck with them. I often notice performance improvements and fewer glitches when I upgrade my browser.
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the perspectives everyone, I think I'm going to try out Chromium, AND also update to unstable and see where it goes. I've used unstable packages before and they tend to be pretty decent, so we'll see how this goes.
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that firefox-bin is updated to 31.2 , while firefox (not bin) no.
Would you know why this difference?
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am wondering about is why "emerge firefox" installs Firefox ESR and where I can find the package for "Firefox for End Users". I don't want firefox-bin before anyone suggests that, I switched to Gentoo because I like my software compiled on my machine. *scratches head*
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing requires media-libs/mesa-10.2 which's masked.
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaoscommander wrote:
What I am wondering about is why "emerge firefox" installs Firefox ESR and where I can find the package for "Firefox for End Users". I don't want firefox-bin before anyone suggests that, I switched to Gentoo because I like my software compiled on my machine. *scratches head*

You can install the version you want (esr or not) selecting it with keywords.

If you want the last version of firefox, write it in terminal:

Code:

echo "www-client/firefox" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I get it. Gentoo doesn't consider Mozilla's "Release" channel stable.. I find this somehow wrong, but I take it there is no more elegant solution to this.. Thanks.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaoscommander wrote:
Ah, I get it. Gentoo doesn't consider Mozilla's "Release" channel stable.. I find this somehow wrong, but I take it there is no more elegant solution to this.. Thanks.
Gentoo has its regular stabilization procedure, so packages need to be in portage for a certain time without any issues before they get marked stable.
And then, Mozilla people decided for ultra short release cycles, issuing a new Firefox release almost every month. So, how would you suggest dealing with it?
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
chaoscommander wrote:
Gentoo has its regular stabilization procedure, so packages need to be in portage for a certain time without any issues before they get marked stable.
And then, Mozilla people decided for ultra short release cycles, issuing a new Firefox release almost every month. So, how would you suggest dealing with it?

Mozilla is testing and developing their new versions for four months before release if I understand this correctly. I don't know how long that "certain time" required by Portage is, but I feel comfortable with software that has been tested for four months. What the developers consider stable after that period of testing, I would too. But if there's some kind of base Gentoo principle this would violate..?
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaoscommander wrote:
But if there's some kind of base Gentoo principle this would violate..?
See e.g. https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=525474
And also libdrm-2.4.58 needs to get stabilized before firefox-31.2.0.
saellaven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using version 24 with a different user agent and I don't have any problems with gmail. It's purely a pressure tactic. I will remain on 24 until they fix the sync function in seamonkey, which the FF devs recently broke when they changed the account system at mozilla. I've used 31 and I absolute hate the "experience" of the new interface, which completely breaks my workflow unnecessarily.

As far as stabilization goes, keep in mind that Gentoo is a compiled from source distro with lots of USE flags that might subtly break things for end users. It takes a while to make sure everything is working right for everyone versus a binary distro where everyone gets the same thing with the same flags. You can always opt to run the ~arch versions of Firefox and its dependencies if you feel the need to keep up with the Joneses.
SDNick484
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
I'm still using version 24 with a different user agent and I don't have any problems with gmail. It's purely a pressure tactic. I will remain on 24 until they fix the sync function in seamonkey, which the FF devs recently broke when they changed the account system at mozilla. I've used 31 and I absolute hate the "experience" of the new interface, which completely breaks my workflow unnecessarily.

I completely agree about the new interface, and I just wanted to throw a plug for the Classic Theme Restorer extension which brings FF 30+ back to a useable state (you would never know I'm on FF 33 by looking at it). While I tend to use the latest FF on my laptop, I am on a similar boat as you on Android where I'm sticking to FF 23 because they broke the Pinch to Reflow Text option after that, and I find that feature critical for some of my most frequently visited sites (particularly /.).
saellaven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDNick484 wrote:
saellaven wrote:

I completely agree about the new interface, and I just wanted to throw a plug for the Classic Theme Restorer extension which brings FF 30+ back to a useable state (you would never know I'm on FF 33 by looking at it). While I tend to use the latest FF on my laptop, I am on a similar boat as you on Android where I'm sticking to FF 23 because they broke the Pinch to Reflow Text option after that, and I find that feature critical for some of my most frequently visited sites (particularly /.).

It doesn't fix everything... I still have nagging issues on boxes where I have 32/33 installed and have been forced to install more than just CTR to try to bring back functionality (like how they broke keeping the search bar open for multiple tabs in the same window and the extension to fix that is broken is subtle ways that occasionally blanks the search and forces me to re-enter it).

I just want a browser that works and stays out of my way... apparently, that's too much to ask for these days. The UI/UX people need to go, as they continuously break everything that they touch (see Firefox and GNOME's user base declining despite the "fixes" supposedly "broadening" their appeal)
SDNick484
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:

It doesn't fix everything... I still have nagging issues on boxes where I have 32/33 installed and have been forced to install more than just CTR to try to bring back functionality (like how they broke keeping the search bar open for multiple tabs in the same window and the extension to fix that is broken is subtle ways that occasionally blanks the search and forces me to re-enter it).

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that; years of vi have made me so use to just hitting / before searching something that I just do it by default even if I already have search open.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this bug, I was forced to upgrade to firefox-bin.
lordalbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:

it occurs only with firefofox from source? Why? 8O
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordalbert wrote:
dE_logics wrote:

it occurs only with firefofox from source? Why? 8O

No, the source required too much unmasking.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: